Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Memory Book Project

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Herb

Hi, all. I’ve been working on a little “memory book” project for a while. Perhaps it will be of interest or give someone else an idea or two. I found an old reprint of “Naval Regulations 1802″ at a flea market. It’s about 4″ x 6.5”. I used the cover and some Stonehenge paper to bind a small sketchbook. I’ve been slowly filling it with sketches (from photographs) of various things related to my time in the US Navy. Most of the sketches have some problem or another but they’re good practice, relaxing, and just for me…well until now, I suppose. Ha! All are drawn with dip pen and Winsor & Newton Sepia calligraphy ink.

Cheers,

Herb

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; }
        p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; }

patrikeev

Great work!

Anonymous

Yer, excellent work Herb !
                Not only do the drawings work really well but I especially like this use of the pen – it just seems so totally appropriate for a um what’s the word …. a journaling type approach.
                I feel sure that both you & future generations will find interest & value in this work.
                Mike

It’s a lovely idea and classy!
                The drawings are really good too – personal but well done.
                A great archive for your descendants!

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Herb

Thank you, Alexandr, Maureen, and Mike. I hope my girls find it of value some day but it will probably end up on the trash heap with all my other accumulated junk. Ha! Ha!

I wish I had started learning to draw those many years ago and would have created sketches of events as they happened, but it’s never too late for art, right?

The paper is Stonehenge “cream” and has a reddish tint, at least until it is exposed to light for some time, then it fades to an off-white. I thought it would be protected in a sketch book. The W&N Sepia calligraphy ink has a distinct reddish-brown color that I think is really striking on the reddish tint paper.

The Hunt 99 nib (in my hand, for sure!) results in a very organic, sketchy look that appeals to me and suits this project, I think.

Cheers,

Herb

Anonymous

The paper is Stonehenge “cream” and has a reddish tint, at least until it is exposed to light for some time, then it fades to an off-white. I thought it would be protected in a sketch book. The W&N Sepia calligraphy ink has a distinct reddish-brown color that I think is really striking on the reddish tint paper.

The Hunt 99 nib (in my hand, for sure!) results in a very organic, sketchy look that appeals to me and suits this project, I think.

Cheers,

Herb

Yes I’ve found that too, the Stonehenge paper does fade, even out of contact with light :( .
                        Pleased to see you are a fan of dip pens :thumbsup: but don’t believe those bold claims by Windsor & Newton that their calligraphy ink is safe for fountain pens, well let’s just say it’s not safe to leave in for long in expensive fountain pens. ;) I had to take one apart & scrub the thick gunge off the feed after being filled for only 3 weeks & I was using it every few days ! :eek:
                        Mike

Herb

A private message from another member reminded me that I had another electrician’s knife from the boat. It’s a little worse for the wear, having spent a couple of months in the bilge being ravaged by various chemicals, but it cleaned up OK and has served me well for many years.

I agree wholeheartedly about the calligraphy ink in fountain pens, Mike. Since I don’t need a daily writer, I’ve taken to only inking my pens for a drawing and then cleaning them out…and then typically only for plein air sketching excursions when I don’t want to deal with ink bottles. I much prefer to draw with dip pens whenever possible.

I tried to adjust the color balance to show the redness of the W&N Sepia ink and pinkish color of the paper. The ink seems OK on my monitor but the paper’s still too white.

Tripotix

Excellent drawings! I was actually applying to go to the navy a few months ago, so I enjoyed the drawings even more. The line work is wonderful.

markhwebster

Nice drawings! And thanks for your service. I’ve got a bunch of friends who served time on boomers based out of the Hood Canal. Lot of integrity in submariners.

Mark Webster

I am living proof that you can teach an old dog new tricks.

http://www.websterart.com/html/still-lifes-v4.php

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.