Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Abstract Art that Sells?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    DaveAndrews

I’m market researching abstract paintings. What sells? Most abstracts that I see on the web looks like paint’s been thrown at the canvas and completed in 5 minutes! Who’s currently successful?

Thanks,

Dave

Greggo

“...Most abstracts that I see on the web looks like paint’s been thrown at the canvas and completed in 5 minutes!…”

Perhaps you should visit the Abstract and Contemporary Forum….
            Click on every thread for at least 5 pages.
            That should yield a wide enough variety of styles, techniques and artists to get a wider overview.
            have you studied Abstract Art in college or on your own?
            do you know the history of this style?
            can you name any current artists, or ID the Movements?
            have you visited MOMAs website?
            have you gone to local galleries or art shows?

come on over to the A&C Forum and visit for a while
            try it, you might like it….

Contempt prior to investigation rarely yields accurate “research”.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/110200-Tatrabanner.jpg [FONT=Times New Roman] Click here for>> WC FAQS >

DaveCrow

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/14/us-art-auction-christie-s-idUSKBN0DU06B20140514

This article may give you a taste of what is selling…

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

You have now posted quite a few of these “Marketing” questions. You will not be successful by trying to min/max your painting style.

…..”Most abstracts that I see on the web looks like paint’s been thrown at the canvas and completed in 5 minutes!”…

If that is all you see in abstract paintings, why are you even worried about selling such work? Paint what you love and have a passion for. Paint it on and with the best archival stuff you enjoy working with. Display it in the best possible manner no matter the venue. Then market it to buyers/collectors of the work you love to make. That’s the recipe for success, chasing after whatever market you think is the hottest right now is sure to lead to pain, burnout, and failure.

DaveAndrews

Thanks for your comments. Very helpful.

Sorry centyr but you couldn’t be further from the truth. Love and passion etc. don’t sell. They help of course, but it’s the mysterious ineffable that sells. It’s also poor advice, to tell someone that they shouldn’t look at another artist’s work if it has admirable qualities.

falcon012

This above all: to thine own self be true,
                        And it must follow, as the night the day,
                        Thou canst not then be false to any man.
                        Farewell, my blessing season this in thee!
                        -William Shakespeare

Tis wisdom in these words yet today.

Greg Long

Sorry centyr but you couldn’t be further from the truth. Love and passion etc. don’t sell. They help of course, but it’s the mysterious ineffable that sells.

Work of love and passion does sell. You are looking at the business of selling in the wrong way. You are wanting to find the magic style that sells itself… this doesn’t exist, develop your own style and find the market/buyers for that style. After almost 3 decades of selling art I’ve never sold abstracts. Also, just because you see lots of abstracts on the web doesn’t neccesarily mean they are selling.

Sorry centyr but you couldn’t be further from the truth. Love and passion etc. don’t sell. They help of course, but it’s the mysterious ineffable that sells. It’s also poor advice, to tell someone that they shouldn’t look at another artist’s work if it has admirable qualities.

“The mysterious ineffable sales?” What does that even mean? As far as I have seen and I have been at this for a long time, the talented passionate artist who believes and loves what they make are the one who make sales. Does it guarantee success or sales? No but it sure helps. What are you going to say to a prospective collector when they ask about your work? That you choose the subject a medium because you thought it would sale for the most. Good luck with that.

I never said you shouldn’t look at others work. You were the one that said that the abstract work you looked at had no admirable qualities not me. If you think chasing the trend is what will make you money go for it i wish you luck and hope your successful at it. I am not here to fight with you. You asked, I offered you my opinion and experience take it or leave doesn’t matter to me.

falcon012

I recommend watching this. It is some of the best advice I have ever heard for those working in the arts. Very inspirational and it can help you to set your compass. I think maybe the part (at around the six minute mark) where he talks about taking jobs for the money may be apropos here…or not. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikAb-NYkseI&list=PLFDiZBhSLcrcDJNP76fQ-C_9ANc9T_nFP&feature=share

Damon J

I’m a freshman.yet,I have some abstract painting in my site.:clap: :clap:

I didn’t comment on the OP because I felt defensive too. Or maybe I felt offended by Dave’s view of abstract art.

But then when birdhs gave his advice, which I thought was excellent by the way, I realized that Dave is just uneducated about abstract art and there is no reason for me to feel offended or defensive at all. It’s not about me, or abstract artists at all. It’s about understanding what’s good and why.

I can actually understand why Dave might see how some abstract art might seem like paint just thrown on a canvas willy nilly – just the same way some abstract artists can’t make the jump to understand conceptual art. The higher the art goes, the harder it might be to be open to it, especially once it surpasses aesthetics and gets into the realm of concept.

But we don’t have to go that far. For Dave, maybe he simply wants to understand what makes certain abstract painting “good.” I actually don’t think he’s so out of line asking who is successful in the field.

In the past? There are just so many artists that have seen so much success, it’s impossible to make a list!

My very first favorite artist was Paul Klee, then Kandinsky. Maybe you can start there? The two of them really started their own movement if you read up on those guys. Read about the Blue Riders (Der Blaue Reiter).

I like minimalist abstract too, but I favor more painterly stuff really.

The current painters I like are women, Amy Sillman and Dana Shutz. They are both extremely successful. I think they are good because of the way they paint. And this is hard to explain to someone with your view, but if you start looking at the history of abstract art and the things that were tried during the times that they were, you might get some context for how far its come.

It’s kind of like a dialog. A long dialog. And each decade of artists stands on the shoulders of what came before. It’s not just paint thrown on the canvas. It’s an exploration of trying something new and some people touch upon it and some people don’t quite “explore,” but express. Not that there is anything wrong with that. That is what abstract expressionism is. It’s expressing. It’s freedom, but you might think you’re seeing a lot of “bad” abstract art because you’re seeing a lot of repeats and maybe derivative work. You just need to look at a LOT more abstract art is all.

Anyway, that’s my two cents. Wordy, as usual. ;)

DaveCrow

I would raise the possibility that you may be looking at the wrong websites. Sturgeon’s Postulate, to whit that 80% of everything is crap! certainly applies to the Internet. Posting to the Internet is almost free for most people in the West, and there is no quality control gatekeeper monitoring what gets posted.

Perhaps the abstracts you are looking at look like paint thrown on a canvas in five minutes because that is what they are. Perhaps you have been unlucky enough in your web searches to have found only bad abstract art.

Or you may be looking at small, flat reproductions of art that genuinely needs to be seen first hand to be appreciated.

Perhaps as others have posted you do not have the knowledge of abstract art needed to appreciate what you are looking at. Although I find that to be an elitist excuse for failed communication on the part of the artist. It is very easy to say “you just aren’t sophisticated enough to see”, sounds like the story of the Emperor’s New Clothes.

Greg’s point that just because you see a lot of abstract work for sale does not mean anyone is buying is well taken. Especially so in today’s Internet market place. There are plenty of online markets where I can post my work at no upfront cost, then walk away and spend no more time or effort on selling it. This approach almost guarantees that I will not sell, but I can have a huge portfolio of available works.

My serious advice on determining what is selling in abstract art at the moment is to involve yourself directly in the abstract art market. Get to know painters, collectors, auctioneers, gallery owners, etc. Talk with them about abstract art. Then you can find out what sells and why. Just as a good wine seller knows wine, a successful book seller knows books, if you wish to become a successful abstract art seller you must know abstract art and the community that buys it.

It’s like asking what kind of realism sells. Do you mean landscapes? Portraits? Hyper realism? Photo realism? Loose realism like impressionist styles? “Abstract” has many facets and different subjects and approaches within it.

What sells is art that is well executed and has passion and a story behind it. The latter can be the most important part. Or it could be easy to make and cheap to sell, then that’s aiming at a completely different (interior decorating) market. I have acquaintances who sell abstract art that’s just done to a formula of mixing random colours and patterns. They produce a lot, sell it at moderate prices, and do well.

My art is towards the other end of the spectrum, it is considered abstract. It is colour field style abstract of the coast but have a lot of relation to traditional seascapes and the geology of each specific place in each painting (or drawing). My work is very time consuming and in addition to actual painting time involves research, travel, and several preliminary studies for each piece. In the end it’s usually the discussion of the location and geology that interests my buyers as much as the pretty painting. :) Most people who just like pretty paintings and like my work aren’t quite buying because the intellectual background to the pieces doesn’t interest them, and therefore they see it as perhaps overpriced. People who are interested in me, my work, my subject matter, my academic reasoning behind it all, etc… they become the long term buyers and big spenders. In fact the less mysterious and ineffible I can make the work for people, the more they seem to enjoy the initial impression of mystery. ;) But now they have more levels to enjoy.

I do think perhaps you’re missing how abstract artists work. Not just currently but how or why they moved to abstraction. Few abstract artists started as abstract for the sake of it. Most move, quite slowly, from some form of representational work that changes over time to focus purely on the aspects of the image the artist most wants to convey. This change, which can be minimalising, simplifying, or distorting, results in abstraction.

I remember when I loathed abstract art. Seriously hated it. I didn’t get it, it seemed easy and almost like a con. As my own art matured and I understood more what I wanted to capture, I crept silently towards abstract without even really realising. Going to see more in person, talking to other artists, and reading a lot about the history of modern and contemporary art gave me an appreciation. Appreciation doesn’t mean you have to like it, but at least then you understand it. (I appreciate Warhol, and Picasso, and Rothko. I have no great love for any of them.)

Tina.

Abstract coast and geology art: www.tina-m.com | Art/Science gallery: www.grejczikgallery.com

It’s about understanding what’s good and why.

I think this is the line that made me seem “elitist” and I shouldn’t have said it. I really should have said what I meant. I don’t know why I typed this. Because it’s really about being open to what moves you, and NOT why exactly.

If anything else I said made me sound like some kind of “elitist,” then whatever!

;)

Look, I’m no academic. I’m totally self-taught and I didn’t know anything about why I liked anything about abstract art. I only learned about art history years later and it only made me love it all the more.

DaveCrow

Hey Arty, I think you just nailed exactly why the art that sells does so, in whatever genre.

It moves you.

If you can bring together the right customer and the right art you will get a sale. If the art doesn’t click with them, then no sale.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.