Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Some London Landmarks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    dave woody

dave woody

35x25cm acrylic paper

I will frame this and send it to a cousin of ours who has moved from London to live in New York.

She will make a lot of new NY friends and my idea regarding this image is to share with New Yorkers how many iconic London landmarks are waiting to be seen.
            It will also be a little momento of the city she has left.

The Callaghans Bar in the top right of the pic is a personal reference between us as she started working as a Bar Maid there when she first came to London. My band The CopyCats had a residency there and I got her the job, now she’s in New York living the dream…….fantastic.

brusher

This is wonderful, Dave! :) A bit of home with a very special bar with very special memories.

By the way – She will have a ton of supermarkets and food shops to go to, but if she goes to

Morton Williams Supermarket
                130 Bleecker St (LaGuardia Pl.)
                New York, NY 10012

They have a really huge section of British groceries (all packaged), if she ever longs for something from home. Many English, Irish – and some Scots products also (I think). It’s really a big section. Terry’s chocolate orange can be elusive, as is PG Tips, except for this store (it’s otherwise a typical American supermarket). Best wishes!!

Cathy

dave woody

This is wonderful, Dave! :) A bit of home with a very special bar with very special memories.

By the way – She will have a ton of supermarkets and food shops to go to, but if she goes to

Morton Williams Supermarket
                    130 Bleecker St (LaGuardia Pl.)
                    New York, NY 10012

They have a really huge section of British groceries (all packaged), if she ever longs for something from home. Many English, Irish – and some Scots products also (I think). It’s really a big section. Terry’s chocolate orange can be elusive, as is PG Tips, except for this store (it’s otherwise a typical American supermarket). Best wishes!!

Cathy

Thanks for the info, please now consider that she is from Lutomiersk, Poland, so if you can advise accordingly….excellent!

brusher

Well . . . My husband and I used to go to Little Poland, 200 2nd Ave
                        New York, NY 10003 (still there), and
                        Christina’s (Moved to Greenpoint:
                        853 Manhattan Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11222 (as rents in Manhattan are so high).
                        and Teresa’s (main store is at Brooklyn Heights, 80 Montague St
                        Brooklyn, NY 11201) All good.

Actually Greenpoint is a very large historically Polish neighborhood, so she could find anything she likes, there. My mom’s grandparents emigrated to the US from Poland, and originally were in Greenpoint, after arriving in NYC. There is a large, young Polish-born population there today.

dave woody

Thanks for the info everyone.

I have worked on the image since posting it, attempting to give it some depth, tidied it up a lot.
                            No need to repost it though.

dave woody

…..however……I plan to hide this ‘other’ picture which is a depiction of her serving at the Callaghans Bar, in that same frame.
                                I am not going to tell her about it, it will only be found if one day the frame gets opened up.

i am not sure if I should leave it unfinished-looking…which it is…….or try and complete it.

dave woody

dave woody

I have done a million gigs and what you see here is a snapshot of my world….There’s always a Fella who is handsome AND can really dance, me the guitarist acting the RockStar Guitarist part, besotted couple in a booth, the girl that drinks her beer from the bottle and not a glass, the guy with his hand on her knee under the table, the handbag on the dance floor, the person who gets to sit down all evening….the drummer, the young guys who get very drunk and attempt gymnastics, the sleeping drunk and of course…..the sober bartenders who can’t wait for closing time so that they can go home.

brusher

Dave, this is beautiful – a really nice memento of those times, and your impressions of life going in in the bar, while your band is working! (In my opinion), a painting in this state looks very fresh, the brushwork and lines are strong as they have immediacy. I always think that your work is very good and resembles an editorial cartooning style – breezy look but always telling an interesting story. With that in mind, this seems fine as it is.

However, if you might be bothered later on that you didn’t do as much with it as you would have liked, then definitely work on it more. It’s a fine line between “finished” and “overworked” though, as I’ve found out in my own pieces :) – especially with acrylics, they look very fresh and stimulating (brushwork and clean, intense colors, as you have done) – and that can be ultimately lost by doing too much, and flatness can take over. Don’t let that happen, that’s the only thing that should not happen. But do whatever your instincts are telling you.

I’m a bit more concerned about this being hidden behind the first painting, in the frame – and am worried. Do you have confidence that your cousin will open the frame within a reasonable amount of time? What if it’s 5-10-25 years from now? Will you still be around, will this be in the possession of someone else? If it’s many years gone by, will it just be donated (perhaps, as-is, still hidden), will the story of this painting ever be known? I think then, make sure to SIGN and date this one, and if you want, write in pencil a brief summary of what you stated above (what it’s telling us about your impressions). I hope you’ll re-think this idea, as this is a really nice telling of a tale and deserves to be seen, and appreciated. NOW, not a generation from now!

Especially since your cousin is prominently featured in the painting – she might want to see it – and display it sooner, rather than (possibly much) later.

Cathy

I’m sure your cousin will appreciate these. Not sure if you should hide the second one, unless you can find a really ugly frame that would guarantee that she would change it and find the surprise lol.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
                                            Every painting is a new adventure.

dave woody

Thank you everyone for the replies.

I have framed the London Landmarks picture and hidden the other (having added detail) inside the same frame.

In my letter accompanying the picture, I will ensure she finds the ‘secret’ inclusion by insisting she re-frame it.

floblue

Dave, I like your work too! You may have to visit her to make sure it gets reframed.

laf.art

Love your stories that give voice to these delightful paintings

laf-art.com | Prints | FB[/U
                                                        Instagram laf.abstracts

gaykir

I think you missed the London Eye.

http://gaylekirbyart.blogspot.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.