Home Forums Explore Media Photography The Darkroom My possible entries – annual photo contest

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Don

I can submit 5 images per entry form. I have so far pared it down to 6. Most of these I’m sure you have seen before. I need to pick one of these 6 to delete. Also need to review once again other photos for possible inclusion into the 5. I have a few more days to decide.

Photo site - http://donlwilliamsphotography.com

"A moment in time
        Immortalized forever
        With silver and light"

airart1

grey eye..love the pics..

Irishwhistler

#4 for me, but they are all fine photographs.👍

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Humburger

They are all beautiful. Number three doesn’t seem to fit in, though, to the harmonious whole. That may not matter, though…

Ginny
                    www.virginiacmccoy.com
                    C & C Welcome

Anonymous

It’s gotta be tough to eliminate any one of these outstanding images.

#1 is colorful and it exudes the sense of cold crispness.

#2: great colors, values, and forms.

#3: terrific night urban scene; great range of values. It demonstrates the wide range of you skill at capturing different subjects.

#4: I love the colors and the range of sharpness from pleasingly blurred to quite sharp.

#5: beautiful analogous colors and intriguing shapes & forms. I love this image!

#6: great composition, nice example of muted complementary colors, excellent mix of sharp and soft.

If I had to choose one to eliminate, it would be (reluctantly) #6. I know you’ve worked hard on this image, so this probably isn’t what you wanted to read.

BTW, if you decide to keep #6 in your entries, take a look at the horizon – I think it’s slightly tilted, with the left being a little lower than the right.

The bottom line is that you can’t go wrong with any combination of these photos. Let us know how your entries fare.

Don

Number three doesn’t seem to fit in, though, to the harmonious whole. That may not matter, though…

I don’t think it really matters. There is no set theme, it’s just that most of my photos are of nature.

Dave, I agree about number 6. I have played with that image so much that I don’t know what is what anymore. I do have a print of one of the evolutions hanging on my wall and it looks good… better than this image. And I agree that the horizon seems a little lower. For some reason this one just doesn’t pop like the one I have printed. May be easier to just remove it rather than try to improve.

"A moment in time
                            Immortalized forever
                            With silver and light"

Anonymous

I too would remove #6. The horizon is only one issue with this image. It is somehow out of balance and although the tree coming in the top left is needed, it is too much maybe. Especially as the right side doesn’t have the tree framework.
                                At first I wasn’t sure about #4 but I have come to like the out of focus area through the slightly open door. Like when you see things in clouds, I see a face. Intriguing. It sets the whole image off.

#2 could loose a bit off the bottom.

Contests are always a lottery. Different folks will have their favourites, so it depends on the judges.To make it even harder we are not the best judge of our own work. I see it all the time. Artists want to sell prints but they don’t pick their most sellable work to make prints for sale.

Good luck. What ever you finally choose your images provide great eye candy….

Don

Thanks for the constructive feedback Grant. Looking at image 3 I can see where taking some off the bottom would help. I’ll probably take some off the bottom and right side just to keep the proportion. As far as image 4 being out of focus, I think that is WC at work. The original image is very sharp. Actually image 2 is not quite as sharp as I would like (original image).

I have already decided to remove image 6 and go with the remaining 5 for the time being. I have until the end of the month to submit.

I know contests are very subjective. More than once I’ve heard judges say that their selections are what they picked right now… tomorrow it might be a totally different group. You never know and certainly can’t take it personally. :)

Thanks again to all for the comments!

"A moment in time
                                    Immortalized forever
                                    With silver and light"

damar

I’m late posting here but:
                                        #1 thru #5 would be my picks.

Fujifilm X100F, XT20 + Nikon Camera Bodies & Lenses
                                        Photos are ©2021
                                      Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.