WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2020, 09:58 AM
Macon, GA

Hails from United States
Self portrait

I have attempted very few portraits, so it is not my forté. But I plan to do a portrait of each of my two granddaughters, aged 9 and 6, and I thought I would work on my own first .... from a selfie I took. I have finally reached the "I'm done," stage and am moving on to something new. I found the lessons here on Wet Canvas .... done long ago by Don but still available... to be extremely helpful. And I found a number of youtube videos with good info. Like anything else, I'm sure it takes practice, practice and more practice. I didn't use my profile photo as the reference, but there is a resemblance. And if I had a nickel for everytime some stranger has come up to ask, "Has anyone ever told you that you look like Jean-Luc Picard from Star Trek?" I could have retired years ago! I admire Sir Patrick Stewart and was a Trek fan, so I take the question as a compliment. My wife keeps telling me I should get a suit and start renting myself out at Trekkie conventions. LOL Wishing you all a great day.... and thanks to Don and others who contributed to those portrait lessons! I am so grateful for the mass of info available through Wet Canvas!

I have loaded and re-loaded the photo but cannot get it in a portrait position. If any of the mods/volunteers who are techie could do that for me, I would appreciate.

Mike

Last edited by water girl : 01-24-2020 at 03:58 PM. Reason: turn image
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2020, 04:03 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States
Re: Self portrait

I admire anyone who successfully paints a self portrait. This is great because it looks like you, Mike. Well done!!!
By the way, if you are ever in a hurry to have an image turned, click on the little red triangle in the upper right of the post. A window will appear and you can request that the image be turned. That will get the attention of more of the Mods.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2020, 04:50 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ohio

Hails from United States

Mike, good job. I also admire those who do self portraits.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2020, 02:04 AM
WC! Guide
near Auvers sur Oise

Hails from France

Looks good
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2020, 04:31 PM
Macon, GA

Hails from United States

Thank you, Robert, Ginny, Karen for the kind words. And Karen, I appreciate the tip on how to turn a photo so that it will have the right orientation. Thank you for putting it in the right position! I have reached the point where I shave my head about every three weeks with electric clippers. The selfie was taken right after I had done that.... thus, NO hair at all. I did, at one point, consider one of the many hat styles that Nemon uses on his birds. 🤣. I just hope I can now do a good job on the portraits of my granddaughters.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2020, 01:48 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Germany

Nice job. The Spotlight lessons are a good source for learning.

Esther
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2020, 01:53 AM

You handled a lot of the features well. The teeth look good as well as creases on the skin. Was this done from a photograph reference? The way the nose region and forehead region are curved do look like it was done from photograph. I would say that working from a photograph is more difficult than using a mirror or live model, so it can be difficult to notice these if you don't do portraits and figures from life often.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2020, 10:10 AM
Macon, GA

Hails from United States

Yes, the self-portrait was done from a selfie photo I took. I have done some life drawing, but always jump at an opportunity to do more. Life models are not as readily available in my area. I have set up and drawn still lifes, as well.... but I often use reference photos. I am beginning two portraits, one of each of my granddaughters, aged 6 and 9. It would be impossible for me to get the 6 year old to sit still long enough for me to work from life.... plus, I want these to be a surprise gift for my son, so again, I will use photos.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2020, 08:18 PM
London, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

I really like the portrait, especially the eyes. You look so relaxed. I’m looking forward to seeing your granddaughters portraits. What a great present they’ll make.
Mary
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2020, 09:34 PM
Calgary, ab, Ca

Hails from Canada

Eyes and teeth really stand out
C and c welcome