Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Amazon pulls all Holbein CPs?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    gingerblue

I just noticed yesterday that the big set of 150 Holbein CPs that I have had in my Amazon shopping cart for years (never pulled that trigger) disappeared, along with every listing of Holbein CPs across the site. Wonder if there’s a chance they are being released formally stateside? Or are they being discontinued? Just seemed odd and wondered if anyone else noticed. These pencils have always been a huge question mark for me- a lot of people rave about their color range and softness but the inability to get them open stock to try out one or two before I invested in an entire set kept me hesitating.

ocmd123

Maybe they discontinued the pencil line? Blick and Jerry’s don’t seem to have them either.

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
            Instagram

Save

Lizzy57

I recall reading somewhere that some of the Holbein pigments use unsafe (by US standards) of levels of cadmium. I don’t have anything very specific but that’s my guess.

Macarona

The store where I want to buy some, when I am better, has not currently in stock :-/.

In my opinion, prefer unhealthy pigments in the colors and paint, as unhealthy additives in the food.
                    With the colors and paint you can handle them properly so that it has no effect on you.
                    With food, it’s impossible to handle it properly without harming yourself because it’s there to eat, if it contains harmful substances.

What I mean by that is that the US safety regulations are totally ironic in my mind.

Is it a food, then there may be almost everything is allowed in it, except things that have become obsolete anyway.
                    Because there are cheaper alternatives, these substances are alibi-prohibited.
                    So then the FDA has a sense of why it exits.

While the safety regulations for objects, or things that are not food, are much higher.
                    Probably because it is assumed that someone does not know how to handle something properly. The person should not harm himself either with it.

But I also noticed that some people from the United States are much more concerned about the harmfulness of objects than about food.

Well I live in the EU where the safety regulations are relatively balanced. Except for a few things. For example hydrochloric acid can easily buy in the hardware store.

kind regards Macarona
                    Stay calm, you can not protect all people from mistakes they make. They should also be allowed to learn from mistakes and gain experience.
                    Especially financial mistakes.:angel: Keep calm, you can not prevent that there are not only reasonable suggestions from people. Specifically on the subject: only try and how long. Important topic: Please Save the Internet, that we can still share a lot of knowledge. # No articles 11 and 13!!!

Ack, I was planning on buying some! Is there some place other than ebay to buy these pencils that ships to the US?

SnapV

The wooden box is available on Amazon Canada but the price seems crazy to me (although I don’t know what they usually go for).

https://www.amazon.ca/Holbein-Artist-Colored-Pencil-Colors/dp/B00IPDNQEQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1549541011&sr=8-4&keywords=holbein+colored+pencils

Virginie

All C&C welcome: I want to improve!

Lizzy57

My adorable son bought me the wooden set in Japan and he hand carried it home to me for Christmas! Best Christmas present ever!

The wooden box is available on Amazon Canada but the price seems crazy to me (although I don’t know what they usually go for).

[url]https://www.amazon.ca/Holbein-Artist-Colored-Pencil-Colors/dp/B00IPDNQEQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1549541011&sr=8-4&keywords=holbein+colored+pencils[/url]

That price makes me cry a little…

Donelittle

If there is indeed Cadmium in pigments, I would stay out of using them, no matter how good are they. It is one of the very few things that I’m not comfortable with in terms of even minimal exposure, being a professional chemist myself. And post above mistaken about that some toxic stuff isn’t dangerous if you are not eating it. It gets into you through skin/lungs just as effective as it was food.

HarvestMoon

I talked to Holbein reps at a recent art materials show. I heard, years ago, that Holbein just didn’t want to spend the money to test their pencils for the US market. That was NOT true! They do sell a huge amount of paint here.

The pencils are not supposed to be sold in the US because of their high toxicity. They did not tell me specifically the ingredients that cannot get approval in the US. Lots of paint sold here contains cobalt and cadmium that just has a California warning label . They were aware of people selling them on amazon and eBay. They hope to eventually start releasing the pencils that will pass, but are not close to doing that it sounds like….I bought some years ago on eBay, there is no warning label, at least not in English. They told me to be very careful using them. Since I have had a long battle with cancer I won’t use them again.

People are not surprised when the super cheap CP sold on FB that come from China are toxic. They don’t expect the most expensive ones to be.

Harvest Moon 🐐

pezk

But how is toxic defined? I love the cadmiums and use them in watercolors. Not going to stop but I dont drink the water. I think the govt gets carried away.

patk
                                        C/C

HarvestMoon

Blocks, Jerry’s, etc have never carried Holbein colored pencils. Because they cannot legally sell them here. They used to carry more of their paint though.

I suspect amazon sellers, like eBay, were sending them from Japan, because Holbein wholesaler here won’t sell them to you.

Pat I use Watercolors with cadmium and cobalt too. But we DON’T KNOW what chemicals are in these pencils. Most CP makers use cadmium hues, not real cadmium. But since cadmium and cobalt ARE allowed in the US with labels, they might be using worse things. Asbestos? Lead? Who knows? I don’t. But since buying open stock replacements isnt much of an option with these anyway.

I know people used to make beads from genuine cinnabar. But real cinnabar contains mercury. And makeup is entering the US with asbestos in it. The white face paint geishas used if I remember contained lead. Best to avoid known toxins, our food is bad enough; cancer really really sucks.

Harvest Moon 🐐

ManedWolf

I’d be a bit surprised if Holbein really uses cadmium pigments in their CPs as cadmiums are on the more expensive end on the price sale. I have a vague impression that they are too coarse to be used in CPs too but I’m not sure about that. Few, if any, would eat pigments anyway – and think of all the food additives we gulp down daily if we’re like to eat fast and cheap and all the fumes and particles we inhale in our cities or when we burn wood in our hunting lodges (or sth).

The risks are there but I won’t get hysterical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium_pigments

Or, as Bruce McEvoy says about watercolours: “As a category of consumer products, watercolor paints are far safer than house paints, soaps, oven cleaners, solvents, bleaches, fuels, new carpets, pesticides or some foods (such as shellfish) — not to mention oil paint solvents and acrylic resins.

“That said, watercolors should always be handled with reasonable care and applied with appropriate techniques. They should be kept out of the reach or unsupervised use of children.

“Watch that cat, too.”

Heikki

frida

Re: Pencils You May Have Never Seen
                                                    I read somewhere here that Amazon.ca removed the Holbein CPs from its list… I have just seen them there, all of 150 colours in a wooden box at CDN $ 705.08. OUCH!!!

This is where I read it…! :cat:

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

brissie

I saw them for sale shipping to Australia too but is any pencil really worth A$500 when you cant get open stock. Polychromus is A$290 for 120 but we can at least by open stock locally so Holbeins would have to be more than amazing for me to consider them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.