Home Forums Explore Subjects Figure, The Hands

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I tried to work fast on this one. I wanted the hands to look beatened and dirty. I wanted to show the wear and tear from working over the years, so I didn’t try to be neat here. I used Ritmo 3b charcoal pencil, Generals charcoal sticks, and Stabilo White on Tone Gray Strathmore paper. I tested all my white pencils side my side on the paper and the charcoal white is the brightest. But I used the Stabilo for the last two because it’s almost just as white where most people would not even notice the difference. I’ll be going back and forth on those two pencils till I figure out which one I think is best to work with.

wonderful work, they look like a sculpture

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
    More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
    Instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

Use Her Name

Very well done. I like the sharp focus.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

Such a great job! I love hands as well.

bethany
        moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
        website www.bethanyart.com
        My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

vhere

excellent :) but why limit yourself to just one of those whites? sometimes one ‘fits’ better than the other in what you are doing so keep both I’d say

excellent :) but why limit yourself to just one of those whites? sometimes one ‘fits’ better than the other in what you are doing so keep both I’d say

I’ve been using two different whites. I use Generals white Charcoal and Stabillo White pastel. The reason I choose these is because they have the most brightness to them which gives the image strong contrast. When I use the others it looks more washed out to me.

this is a very fine study of hands, its well done and you have obviously worked hard at this :thumbsup:

I’m not sure if you intended to give the hands such a ‘leathery’ look and am wondering if you have considered using less obvious white in your technique?
            Rebecca Alzofon who used to post here in the past ( arm four chalk drawings)
            has a great online explanation of Prudhon’s method using black and white chalk.

Mac

123harry

Very well drawn, you can feel the tensions in the wrists and thumbs, the relaxation in the fingers. As with Mac’s comment the hands do look to be moulded in some leathery material rather than being flesh and blood.

C&C always welcome.
                Instagram harry.hamill

this is a very fine study of hands, its well done and you have obviously worked hard at this :thumbsup:

I’m not sure if you intended to give the hands such a ‘leathery’ look and am wondering if you have considered using less obvious white in your technique?
                Rebecca Alzofon who used to post here in the past ( [URL=https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32535]arm[/URL] [URL=https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143674]four chalk drawings[/URL])
                has a great [URL=http://www.art.net/~rebecca/OnPrudon1.html]online explanation of Prudhon’s method[/URL] using black and white chalk.

Mac

I had looked at a reference photo for this one and the hands looked like they had white dirt or powder on them. There was also a little bit of black smudges like oil or something. They where dirty hands.

Sometimes what can be seen in a photo cant be perfectly represented in a drawing but it doesnt matter. You can draw hands, the artists biggest fear, be proud 🙂

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
                More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
                Instagram
                https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

Good work here, myself being a mechanic know the feeling at least of having calloused hands, very nice likeness. I also enjoy the difference between the two hands, one hand being more complete then the other to convey a focus. Well done sir.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight.

Sometimes what can be seen in a photo cant be perfectly represented in a drawing but it doesnt matter. You can draw hands, the artists biggest fear, be proud 🙂

thank you!

Boafamily
                  Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.