WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2019, 05:16 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
San Diego

Hails from United States
Some of my recent work

I have not posted work here in a long time, so just going to put some of my really recent work. This is probably 10% of what I've done this month, and to be frank, I can not really stand the work prior to this month.

These are all done in a twisted type of plein air, no idea what to call it, live painting seems trite, often in the dark, inside, while I am reporting on what is happening around me, trying to capture the impression. Unplain air? None of this is planned, its just haphazardly started in the center. Every once in a while its an actual real plein air. Often its done at the jazz jam, painting the local jazz scene which includes some world class musicians.

I have adopted an attitude of just doing, often these are done in 10-20 minutes, a few take 30-40 mins, and in a few hours will have 10-15 paintings piling up, my goal here is mileage. These are mostly done on arches 10x14 pads, which I am getting 2-3 pads of a week, or on my canson mixed media sketchbooks ( again 1 or 2 a week ).

I see lots of mistakes in these, things which I really would just fix, but then I'd have to slow down. If I were to carefully draw a figure, it would be a lot more accurate, but I am often just swooshing with a big wet romp of paint. Every so often I do this just to get myself tame, but the goal is the momentum, the energy. I am trusting the practice, after I do this week after week, I am noticing that I am just getting knack for it just working out, this is what I am trying to develop.

My goal is to just keep this up, and trusting that the work will improve. I see them are somewhat good, somewhat lacking, they are what they are. Its that judging, being critical, which is the enemy of being creative, so I just want to let the pictures speak for themselves - if I didn't catch a likeness, its kind of like, well duh, I saw you for 10 seconds, or course I didn't, these are gestures.

And yes I am seeing myself improving, but I think I got to keep this pace up for a few years before I get where I want to go.

Again a lot of what I am describing here, comes from how jazz is taught, it is all about improvisation, about just not judging, rather just being in the moment and if you get a wild hare, you run with it. There is planned music, but its also planned in a way that lets the solo show off. Watercolors are my solos. The pencil marks are my plans.

I have discovered a new way of making a mark. I take my brush, often a flat or a neptune dagger, and I load it up with juicy paint. Then I watch the drummer and copy how he hits the drums, so I am making marks, improvising along with the music ( that is a jazz thing, I am treating how I do my art, as if I am a jazz musician whose instrument is the brush ). There is mark where the brush hits, but there is also a splatter line of paint that escaped the brush in motion. But its controllable in a very loose way, and it feels like the music around me.

I am really liking the black and whites, they seem stronger, I am hoping to have my color work catch that same feeling eventually. Everyone who comments mentions the black and whites.

now for the pieces.

This was a political committee meeting, I sketched all the politicians coming to speak, and the crowd. At the end I painted a few watercolors, this is the local head of the party. Great figure drawing opportunity, we need more art in politics.

The beach

A jazz jam up in vista at a brewery

Another beach, this is la jolla cove, there are Rex Brandt paintings done from this exact spot.

Art show by a local gallery in a bar

These are done at the Jazz jam, a live music event where the audience is called up to play.

Art museum event ( based on their exhibit of spanish art )

Finally a plein air ( this was done outside of san diego pride, the statue is of Kate Sessions, the founder who planted our Balboa park )

And some real plein airs, done with the SDWS at a paint out, in Coronado.

Last edited by briantmeyer : 07-16-2019 at 05:24 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2019, 03:44 AM
WC! Guide
Llangarron Herefordshire UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Some of my recent work

Nice to see you posting again Brian. Your paintings look so spontaneous and capture the moment. Very loose, even haphazard but they are full of life. Well done. You know how to let yourself go!

Mike
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2019, 09:00 AM
WC! Guide
New York City

Hails from Puerto Rico

Brian, I like all your works, nice and loose which I find hard to do.
I believe you have done some animated videos a while back which were quite enjoyable. Would love to see those videos again if I'm sure it was you who did them.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2019, 11:12 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

These are so interesting, especially the music ones.