Home Forums Explore Subjects Classical Art How can I take this to the next level?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I’m not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, but if not, just let me know and I will move it!

I’m hoping to get some critique on this piece I recently finished. My focus was on the motion, value distributions, and idealization of anatomy, with the end goal being a classical feel.

What is good? What is bad or incorrect? How can I take this idea and ‘feel’ up a notch?

Thanks for your time, feel free to be as honest as you can!
    Cheers!

Myse

Hello! I see that nobody has answered, so I will try (but I am not a master in english and in painting! so I give you only my feelings…)
        I think the colors and the attitude call back the masters … You used values well.
        I ask me questions about the medium you used because I can see brushstrokes very well on the arm at the top, some horizontal and others vertical, and I think they are too visible perheaps you used acrylic? According to me, the colors can be more melted in order to give what you want: classical feel.
        I hope now that I have begun, others painters will answer and that will be a help for you.

Comments and critics welcome. I want to progress!
        marysecurinier-rochette.com
        https://maryse.rochette.cc

BeLing

Okay, this is my take.

You’ve got the details but without unity.

I think you should start another painting, but work on the WHOLE: just shapes, balancing tones, all those things of composition that are so hard to organize. INCLUDING the background/negative spaces. Don’t even think about details until you’ve got a good, solid, satisfying underpainting structure.

In particular, because you seem to have worked bits at a time, the right hand doesn’t seem to belong anywhere. Is it touching the arm, or above it?

The head seems too dark and isolated.

But again, your details are great, and you won’t have any trouble finishing up when you’ve worked out a stronger unity.

Keep at it! I think the pose and gestures are strong.

Hey, thank you for your feedback, Myse!
            The medium on this is actually digital. I approached it in a traditional way, but used the digital medium.

I think you are right about the colors needing to be blended more – it is kind of halfway in-between a drawing and a painting.
            Thanks again for taking the time to give your thoughts!

Okay, this is my take.

You’ve got the details but without unity.

I think you should start another painting, but work on the WHOLE: just shapes, balancing tones, all those things of composition that are so hard to organize. INCLUDING the background/negative spaces. Don’t even think about details until you’ve got a good, solid, satisfying underpainting structure.

In particular, because you seem to have worked bits at a time, the right hand doesn’t seem to belong anywhere. Is it touching the arm, or above it?

The head seems too dark and isolated.

But again, your details are great, and you won’t have any trouble finishing up when you’ve worked out a stronger unity.

Keep at it! I think the pose and gestures are strong.

Hey, thank you for the critiques! I definitely struggle with overall shape and form, I tend to render it out as I progress. I will definitely take a look at slowing down on my block in and underpainting, I think that will help a lot.

Cheers!

ptrkgmc

Just add some shadow under the right hand. Or, if the hand is not actually touching the left arm, then move the fingers into the light area so that they have a better silhouette. This will improve readability.

~JMW~

The hands, fingers & finger nails draw my attention the most.
                    The” flipping the bird” finger is generally the longest finger.
                    The shape & length of the fingernails on that one hand give a feminine feeling to me, but seems to be male per rest of the body..
                    As I look more the shoulders seem not quite right, the arm underneath seems not cohesive & the wrist is bent awkwardly.. the negative diamond shape there is too hard edged …neck has odd bend/hard edge..

~Joy~

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.