WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Legal Corner
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2012, 03:33 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States
Found Objects & Copyright

As a mixed media quilt artist, when using text, I must get permission to use a quote in an art quilt (many shows and publications require proof of permission).

What about use of found objects? For example, food or clothing labels?

What if I were to weave into my art quilt the wire/paper strips with "organic" or "joe's farm" printed on them? Or scanned a tomato soup can? (Did Andy Warhol get permission?) Or sew on old clothing labels?

I have a series in mind that I want to do, involving using found objects as embellishment, etc. Many of the things I have collected include printed text, and some images. Think of the labels around your veggies, the bag your apples come in. This is not quoting another's concept or intellectual property but using the physical object as an element in the art, including the text and image printed on it. However, the text or image does have meaning, ie organic carrots label in the middle of say, embroidered carrots in a salad bowl (as opposed to using canned carrots).

On the one hand, I could just do it for my own private collection of art under the bed. BUT if I want to be able to submit these art quilts for consideration in publication or shows, is documented permission needed?

If someone could direct me on this, or suggest where I could get an answer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Jen

Last edited by rue d'oak : 02-22-2012 at 03:37 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2012, 06:38 PM
WC! Guide
I am as excited as a chameleon in a bag of M&M's

Hails from Ireland
Re: Found Objects & Copyright

As far as I am aware the use of found objects requires no special permissions as they are your materials, not your subject. It would be a bit like asking W&N permission to use their paint. Again in collage, the images or paper used would be classed as materials rather than subject as in Picasso's Guitar (1913)

and Robert Rauschenbergs work such as

Art by Greg Long . My Blog -- Business questions? Want ideas? Why not come join us in the Art Business Forum
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Greg,
Many thanks. That was my sense as well. Others opinions?
Jen
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Stouffville, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Sounds right to me. I recall a Barbie/Matel lawsuit against someone who modified Barbie dolls and sold them as S & M Barbie or some such thing. Matel lost. Sorry my memory fails me, but a quick search on barbie brought up this: http://www.copyrightguru.com/belmont...UseOutline.pdf
Some of the links therein are outdated, but "Exotic Dancer Barbie" works as an example...