Home Forums Why does one paint or draw?

• This topic has 25 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by arl.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    mongraffito

Why does one paint or draw?
        I’m throwing some thoughts on the table, opinions are welcome.

I think the invention of photography has freed drawing and painting from the need of accurately reproducing reality. Still, some people work in a hyper-realist style. Good for them. When I look at a hyper-accurate depiction of reality, what touches me is “such patience! Such craziness to work on a streetscape for 1 year!”. Then I move on.
        I’m a figurative doodler, I look at photos I took or found, then I combine them in photoshop to have a “dummy” model.
        I could improvise the whole body (I only paint the male nude) but I don’t want to fall into painting what I already know. I look at the dummy just to derail me from that automatism.
        But I work for my pleasure.
        I wonder why other figurative painters do paint? I look at a painting of a house in the woods, I see the large brushstrokes, it touches me. If I had to choose between that and a photo of the scene depicted, I would often choose the painting. Why?
        I hope to read posts on this subject, by painters and people who appreciate and bought art or go to a museum alike.

Dcam

I love to draw and I love to paint. I do tend towards realism and sometimes with very linear aspects and perhaps gestural moves. Once in a while I will try a photorealist work (not hyper) because to put it simply…..I can. I am attracted to it often. It is like a powerlifter who can bench press a huge amount; just try to keep him/her from the barbell.
            At the same time, I find it so enjoyable to do an abstract or an impressionist or expressionist work…..fun.
            I find dry media to be the best for expression it just flows and the amount of pressure you put on a tool, the darker and richer the mark. With painting you have to go back and forth from surface to palette for mixing and getting more colors/values.
            I feel the same about music. I can do it and therefore I am “drawn” to my piano sitting there.

snoball

I draw and paint because I have to, it preserves my sanity, what little of it there is.

If you're asking me for advice, I'm going to assume that you've run out of rational options.
                My work on Facebook

Dcam
                    BeLing

I draw figuratively, to understand things, and to become part of them, When I see an old drawing of mine, I can usually remember the moment I drew it with a “reality” worlds more real than any photograph. Kind of strange, really.

marksmomagain

I draw and paint because it helps me be closer to the environment I live in and the lifestyle I lead. Plus I’m very good at it. I live rural, grew up and live with livestock and land, woods, creeks and ponds, gardens. These are most of the subjects I portray.

I’m fascinated with mark-making. How something as simple as a pencil or charcoal can create such beauty and emotion on a sheet of paper.

Ed Hopper

Can someone explain why my post was deleted please when this was posted in the oil forum and then got moved here? It was a thoughtful answer, relevant and non expletive or inflammatory according to forum guidelines, i don’t like wasting my time which this feels like. Thankyou.

Anyways here it is again thanks to search history

Its a damn good question. In 40 years i haven’t found the answer. The closest i got was when i did Large Format Photography with some grain and huge dynamic range in large prints. Kodachrome and Portra film have a very painterly quality. Some of those images are very human and emotive. Modern digital just leaves me cold. Wim Winders(art film director) spoke about this and attempted to make his films painterly,scenes that look like Still Lifes to a great degree of success.

And here is another posters comment(jknecht) below who seemingly wasted his time as it was deleted. Please whoever does the editing/moderating on these posts to be a bit more diligent. Its a very small community and we don’t need to upset anyone with blunders. Thankyou.

‘I really like the way Steve Huston explains it: we aren’t seeing exactly what the artist saw, we are seeing the way the artist interpreted what they saw.

That description is true whether the painting is abstract or hyperrealistic’.

dave woody

There is something more fascinating to me than the image in paintings.
                                    I love the human element, someone made those strokes and when looking at pictures by Stubbs, Turner etc …it is time travel….

I paint with no talent at it, but I hope to tell a story and leave some strokes that will travel time.

john

I like the challenge. I like that it’s an escape, a place to go. When I’m painting I’m in that place. It’s like a trip to somewhere else. It’s fun to create. I like nice paintings and have the delusion that I can make them. It’s cheaper than buying them.

CMorpaint

I paint because I have always loved to create. Knitting, crochet, embroidery, cross-stitch, drawing, etc.,. Always wanted to learn how to paint and finally 4 years ago I decided to give it a try and was hooked. Nothing I do takes me away from worries like getting into a painting does. Sometimes they don’t turn out like I had hoped but that’s why I practice. Love seeing other’s work also. You inspire me to do better! Thanks!

Regards,
                                            Cindy
                                            C/C always welcome
                                            "Painting is my meditation"

stlukesguild

I paint and draw because I have always had the need to create. I love music and have a good knowledge of it… especially the history… but I have no musical ability. I am an unabashed bibliophile with a passion for reading and a rather extensive knowledge of literature and a solid writing ability… but I was more self-conscious of my creative writing efforts when I was younger and so I ultimately turned to painting and drawing. I have a passion for Art and Art History and have obsessively drawn and painted for the last 20+ years. I love drawing and painting… even though these can be incredibly challenging, time-consuming, and frustrating at times. I am a figurative artist. I have the ability to paint quite realistically… even moreso were I to focus in that direction again… but to me, Art involves artifice and invention. I look to the artful exaggeration or invention of line and form and color in the art of others… and in my own work.

Saintlukesguild-http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/
                                                "Beauty is truth, truth beauty—that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know." - John Keats
                                                "Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

bongo

I’m in it for the money.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                                                    STUDIOBONGO

stlukesguild

Fame, fortune, and hot groupies, eh? How’s that working out for you? :lol:

Saintlukesguild-http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/
                                                        "Beauty is truth, truth beauty—that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know." - John Keats
                                                        "Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

Merriweather

For me… it stems from childhood when I sat and copied the designs and pictures on the biscuit tin.
                                                            I don’t recall that I was drawn to it, more around if mum saw me with a pencil in my hand, she left me alone and I wasn’t given chores..

It passes the time… isn’t painting and gardening the stuff I am supposed to be doing when retired and moving along in years.?
                                                            Just kidding..

I like playing about with colour, It is uplifting to see how much I can distort a painting ( from a photo) by adding a ton of colour without taking away from the main subject.

I guess it is similar to cooks ( which I don’t) how many different versions can they imagine from the ingredients in the fridge.

Oh wait… it is creativity… that is what I like.
                                                            The wonderful magic that occurs when absorbing oneself into a space with no time restrictions and stay until exhaustion and then some.

Painting is a complete distraction. I know of nothing which, without exhausting the body, more entirely absorbs the mind. Winston Churchill

OLIVE.OYL

I was always drawing as a kid. In class, the teacher would sometimes ask us, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” And the girls would say, teacher (brown noser), mommy or nurse (blech). Those were pretty much the only girl choices way back in the olden days. But still, I would say, “Artist.” La de dah. But what I thought I meant was that there couldn’t possibly be anything more fun than drawing pictures all day long. So if there really was a job like that out in the grownup world, that’s the one I wanted.

But after I grew up, went to art school, and found oil paint, I immediately tossed aside drawing. Fickle! But I realized instead of drawing/sketching, I could just visualize what I wanted, then “draw” with paint right onto the canvas, and then fill it in like a coloring book. Yep, that’s how I paint. I’m not too interested in using other materials or mediums, although I’ll dabble about…sometimes. I suppose oils immediately hit the right spot with me and so I remain loyal. Or stuck, depending on how you look at any longtime love.

So, the point-the reason-the purpose of all this stuff is to keep getting things out of me and onto a surface. It’s always figuratively-based in some way because I need to “see” what was in there in order to investigate or explore even more. Not because I’m a very fascinating or interesting specimen of humanity, but because when I understand me, I understand YOU.

And believe me…that does NOT always make for a pretty picture.

No offense.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.