WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Re: Supplies while sketching/journaling

David- Robert had a suggestion recently on what you asked Jan: Use the Inktense black, wash & set and it won't rewet. (Always if you completely wet it the first time.) I would like to have a pen that did that too! Jan?
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2011, 11:23 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I have the Inktense pencils Candace but I'd like to have a pen. I know they exist, I've seen a demo but the brand wasn't mentioned. I just asked this question in the P&I forum, hopefully I'll get an answer soon.

David
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandAlArt
David- Robert had a suggestion recently on what you asked Jan: Use the Inktense black, wash & set and it won't rewet. (Always if you completely wet it the first time.) I would like to have a pen that did that too! Jan?

You can have a pen like that - in a choice of 25 colours including two greys (yeah!). The Stabilo 88s are fine point pens that set after wetting, but spread as good as watercolours on the first wetting. Easy to build up colours and come in a handy roll to cart around. I'm loving them apart from the lurid greens. The Scottish artist Margaret Evans put me on to them when I did a workshop with her and there is a free video clip on Artists Network showing her using them. I'm just trying to track down the Stabilo 68s which are the felt tipped version and come in 20 colours. No luck so far in Australia anyway. http://www.youtube.com/user/artistsnetwork
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2011, 11:53 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Well I'll be darned. I actually have a set of the Stabilo 88's! I never knew they were a wash once ink, even Stabilo's website doesn't say that! Nor does Dick Blick's description, go figure. I guess you know what I'll be playing with tonight.

David
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2011, 12:17 PM
LaCrosse, WI

Hails from United States

I kept a sketchbook/diary last fall on a trip and filled a hundred pages in 3 weeks! But I was dissatisfied with my set up. So I planned out a sketchbook cover that would hold every thing I needed. At home I scrounged through my sewing scraps, found a red-violet upholstery fabric, zipper, velcro and elastic. I sewed this cover to fit a 4" x 6" hardbound book with a wrist strap. As I use it I am thinking on further refinements. The next version will be ready our trip this fall.

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2011, 12:42 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

I use the stabillo 88 pens in my set too. . . but mine do re-wet somewhat even when dry (tried on a sketch I did a week back and got some color moving around). I wonder if they have different ink formulas based on age or something. But I like them lots.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2011, 12:45 PM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

I have to admit that if I'm going out to paint then it's the kitchen sink and all!

but this is my really minimal kit that can fit in a bag without being too heavy and be there anytime

and this is what it contains

an old diary with a gorgeous cover (with magnetic flap that fastens it shut) that I refilled as a sketchbook (5x6in approx), a brush pen, a Rotring pen, a mechanical pencil, a Parker ballpen (lovely to draw with and doesn't make blots and blobs like cheapies) with a B lead, a battery eraser and refill, a white chinagraph pencil and a Tippex pen - both of these for putting whites back over darks.

I never normally work as small as that - this is my didn't-know-I'd-find-time-for-sketching kit to just throw in my bag in case. I'll also throw a larger book in the car to use if I can.

I would never bother with mini watercolour kits myself as I hate not having lots of colours - some are so essential in mixes and the same with coloured pencils. So I work in monochrome if it's a minimal kit day.

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Carol your kit is great! If you showed that- filled to go- at a craft/art fair you could sell a bunch! Beautiful fabric, and sturdy.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2011, 02:31 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Debby, thanks for starting this thread. It's great to have a place to see everybody's sketching gear, and so appropriate for this forum! I'm rating the thread five stars and hopefully it can either become a sticky, or a link placed in a very visible spot within one of the stickies or posting guidelines.

There are so many good ideas here. Jan, I love your bag --- nice size for a small kit.

What I've found is that I either have to go the bag-within-a-bag route, which drives me nuts (or even worse --- bag within a bag within a bag!), or else I need to have room in my sketching bag for my other stuff. The fact is, when we go out sketching, we usually need to carry car keys, cellphone, camera, wallet/ID/money, drinking water, reading glasses, sometimes a snack, occasionally a pair of binoculars. So, small bags always became the bag within a bag that drove me crazy. In my pocketbook, I have this in one of the pockets:

That 3.5x5 book opens to 5x7" across a two page spread, and enables me to do 5x7" sketches at any time, even if I didn't plan a sketching trip.

When I plan to sketch, I take my sketching bag. It's roomy enough to hold the bottle of water, camera, wallet, keys, etc., plus all my gear. It came with my Plein Air Pro easel, but this bag is a huge miscalculation for that easel, for although it holds the easel (just barely), if you plan on bringing along your paints, paper, water, brushes, etc., it's not big enough. So, I re-purposed it for sketches and it's perfect.

It's got all these pockets in the front:

Those pockets are quite large and roomy, and hold all this stuff:

In the middle compartment, I keep my sketchbooks, clips, and a piece of foamcore to clip open the sides of a stitchbound sketchbook:

In the back I have everything else:

• Extra pair of reading glasses
  • Sunglasses
  • Watercolor kits
  • Sun visor
  • Bug spray/wipes
  • Sunscreen
  • ruler
  • white-out
  • palette cup
  • water
  • masking tape
  • white gouache
  • sponge
  • kneaded eraser
  • my little date stamp and ink pad

I can always remove items and leave them in the car to lighten my load, but I prefer to begin with everything with me that I might need, and then nothing can be forgotten. I can't remember how many times I forgot sunscreen or reading glasses or a sun visor and desperately needed them!

This is the watercolor kit that's in the black set in the last photo. I clip a palette cup to it when using it with brushes, or a piece of sponge with a waterbrush.

Jamie
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2011, 02:48 PM
LaCrosse, WI

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandAlArt
Carol your kit is great! If you showed that- filled to go- at a craft/art fair you could sell a bunch! Beautiful fabric, and sturdy.
It wouldn't be cheap! The cover is complicated to assemble and takes some time. Besides I wouldn't want to impose on someone else what selection of drawing materials to use. The only restriction is to use a 4" x 6" hardbound book.
I would prefer to do it as a special order so the buyer can have the fabric of choice.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davkin
Elain, I have to have a fairly tidy and open area or I freeze up. I can't do anything when my space is cluttered, I'm just a bit OCD in that respect.

Within the next couple days I'm going to attempt to make a custom carrying pouch for outdoor sketching using just foamcore and duct tape. I'll take in process photos just in case it works out so I can share the process. I've never found any carrying case that comes even close to being ideal so I've decided to make the perfect case for graphite sketching and if that works out I'll make more designed specifically for other sketching media.

David

Every one has therir own way of attracting a muse as writers would say. Every way is valid.

I look forward to seeing how you construct the carry case. I know I gave up on trying to find the ideal camera bag and just use a bum bag. I can swivel it around so the camera is accessible or put it behind out of the way for going up steep tracks.

www.nzflutterby.blogspot.com
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from New Zealand

Some great ideas here for travel kits. Love that pack rat pouch, Jn, and thanks for the link to the interesting blog

Jamie, what a wonderful range of things you carry.

Carol and Mudcat, great ideas all.

www.nzflutterby.blogspot.com
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2011, 08:06 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Oh wow, you are all so clever and creative coming up with the perfect kit for you.

Jamie, what are the dimensions on that bag you re-purposed?
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

Jamie, I thought I was bad enough at carting around the kitchen sink, but you win the blue ribbon. Sheesh! Spare pair of reading glasses? I didn't think of that one.

What does the dinky little bottle brush clean? Never seen one like that.

Dale
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Alabama

Hails from United States

Dale, i was wondering the same thing about the bottle brush, but assume it's for cleaning nibs on the pens, perhaps? It sure is cute!

Jamie, how do you attach the water cup to the pallette? Great idea to attach your sketch book to a piece of foam core. I think I'm going to borrow that one!