WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2009, 07:16 PM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada
Re: Framing Scratchboard/Claybord

That's right Patrick...the scratchboard is set 'in' the liner from behind...I believe Cathy's are the same but with the glass over the liner. I had a tiger piece I colored and I used a brownish frame for it.

BTW, Cathy...I meant to mention before...I clean my pieces with soap and water OR glass cleaner when they get fingerprints or smudges and wipe with a soft cloth and haven't had any problems with any kind of spotting or residue. As long as the varnish has cured I believe it can stand up to anything except a gouge, deliberate or accidental.

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2009, 07:18 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

I'm at the experimental stage of framing... lol... I have almost always use black frames in the past and have been told by several framers now that they prefer some color... lol... I guess to each their own! I am just trying out different things to see what I like, my gallery owners like and the framers like!

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2009, 07:40 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

hehehe...been there done that...I used to listen to the framers like they were god...then you go to a different one and they tell you something different, and a 3rd will tell you something else again. I got to the point where I please myself and I haven't had a gallery or show, turn down a piece because of the frame. The place that just accepted my 2 pieces has in their rules, that they will not hang a piece if framing doesn't meet their standards...this show is in a gallery.

Lorna Hannett.com
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Ennis, Mt. USA

Hails from United States

Thank you Sandra, for starting this thread. It is so helpful for someone like me who has only been doing scratch art for about a year to read what the experts in the field do.
Bonnie
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2009, 11:33 PM
A WC! Legend
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

Is always good to know about things like this because, at least for some of us, it is a big [read BIG] investment when having to deal with the likes of glass and so forth, not just initially but in the much added cost of transporting the work...
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2009, 01:40 AM
Springfield, Il USA

I totally agree with you Bonnie. This is so helpful to me as well.

I think that what Robert said is what prompted me to ask. Framing can be very expensive (even when I do it myself) and it can sometimes beautifully showcase a piece or take away from it. That's why I want to make the best choices I can for my clients.

I've been float mounting under glass. I usually choose either a brushed silver or a black frame with black/black core matting.

I've tried museum glass. Costly and difficult to keep clean without damaging it but otherwise it's like it's not even there which is a big plus. I typically choose non-glare glass but never on my colored pieces since (I personally feel) that it mutes the color quality a bit. However regular glass on a black mat is so reflective.

I've just started colored ink on white claybord and that seems to be a lot more durable than the black scratchboard. I was thinking about framing those pieces without glass but then having some with and others without when I exhibit doesn't look consistent and I worry that it will distract from the art.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2011, 11:47 PM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States

A framing discussion sprang up in the Scratchy Corner for this week. I thought I'd post one of the pieces I framed.

It's a 4" x 4" white Claybord. I attached the board to a black mat (known as a "float" mount). Then I cut a white mat (with black core) to leave an opening around the board that's about 1/4" on all sides. I put a piece of foam core under the white mat for spacing. The frame size is 8" x 8".

The frame is a metal Nielsen #11 profile in matte black. I used a UV filtering glass, but it's not museum glass.

I cut my own mats with a Logan 750 Simplex Plus. I buy my glass, frames & mats from a local mat & moulding company. The frames come in sections and I assemble them.
Attached Images

Web Site - Pet Portraits - Facebook
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2011, 03:18 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Australia

I frame behind glass as I don't want to risk having the work damaged and I do have the scratchboard placed on top of the mat. I have found since I've started entering a few shows that the foamboard backing is damaged enough with dents and other marks without having the scratchboard marked.

I recently had "Nature Study" framed which I love, although not under non-reflective glass as you can see and this is the most expensive framing I've ever had done.

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Breckenridge, TX

Hails from United States

I have not been framing with glass but.... at my last show I looked up to see an adult dragging her thumb, nail down, across the top edge. When I asked her not to do that she said she always like to touch. I said that she must get kicked out of a lot of museums and she just grinned. I asked her why, when she runs the risk of ruining the piece and she said she just feels like she has to. When I asked her to leave, she said I was insulting. Oh boy.
Now I am considering how to re-frame everything with glass. This thread was timely.
As it is, I have been gluing the work to foam core and that to linen boards with E6000 glue and it has been holding very well. Any thoughts on that?
Thanks
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2011, 09:52 PM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia

I must admit that I still frame without glass. I know that the risk of damaged is increased but I keep away from glass for two reasons
a) I've made sales specifically because people liked the framing and that tipped their choice my way compared to other pieces in the show and;
b) It's so much easier and cheaper to send a framed piece through the post, especially overseas.

Also, most oil paintings are framed without glass and they are just as easily damaged. Maybe the damage might be less visible on an oil painting but given the advantages, I'm almost certain I'll stick without the glass.

I do understand people's trepidation though.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2011, 09:59 PM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States

Good point about oils being framed without glass, Patrick. I would think a well-varnished board is every bit as protected as an oil painting.

But when I read about things like the woman dragging her nail across Ken's work, it gives me shivers! What nerve! And then for her to be upset when Ken told her to leave. Some people . . .

I do have a couple of 4 x 4 boards hanging at our co-op gallery that are unframed, unmounted (but definitely sealed!). I put a hanger on the back of the board and put it on the wall. These are small enough, they could also go on an easel just as easily. It saved me the time & expense of framing and I can offer the pieces at a lower price.

Web Site - Pet Portraits - Facebook
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2011, 12:32 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

I agree with Patrick...the things I've seen framed with glass are watercolors and graphite pieces...oh and colored pencil pieces. Not oils or acrylics and look at the big pieces in those mediums nowadays that don't even have frames...they're gallery wrapped canvases. The woman Ken mentioned didn't have the brains god gave her if she felt she could just going along touching any art she wanted...and with her nail, yet!!! She should have been booted out of the show, as far as I'm concerned. She certainly wouldn't have done that in a musuem and been allowed to stay! Shame on her...don't know that I would have been as polite as Ken.

In our artisan store, I have a small board on a table that has been sprayed with several coats of sealer. I have a magnifying glass beside it and anyone can pick up that piece to examine it and see how it's done, just to satisfy their curiousity. The piece is a 5X7 unframed. It still does not have any new scratches on it's surface and it's been there since last September. I do have to wipe off fingerprints, though.

To use glass or not is a personal choice...I'm just saying I don't believe it is a necessary choice, especially when you consider the cost.

Lorna Hannett.com
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2011, 01:02 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

It's such an interesting and teaching topic. I can totally understand Cathy wanting to frame her large pieces behind glass. Large pieces are much harder to spray without having problems so glass saves putting too many coats on and risking bubbles and spatter. The largest piece I've done is 20x16 and that is behind glass as it only has two coats on it. So some of Cathy's (and others) 24x36 pieces make a lot of sense behind glass.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2011, 01:03 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Oh and Ken, you should have pocked and prodded her with your fingernails, or an xacto
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2011, 01:15 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

My 24X36 A Big Thirst is not behind glass and I shipped it to a show by Greyhound (about 800km) and back without a mark on it. I pack well and they follow my instructions for shipping back. I'd be much more afraid of using glass and having it break through rough handling of the box.

Lorna Hannett.com