WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Tampa, FL

Hails from United States
Re: Mural Advice Needed

Thank-you Michele for your thread suggestion. I have been through that thread at least 3 times in the las few days. While it is a great source for estimating what to charge the client, it does not help me with estimating how much paint I will need. I have not found that info anywhere on this forum.

I realize that every project is different. I just need a very rough estimate of how much paint is required, so my purchase is in the ballpark. I will be taking the suggestions people have offered me on this forum and plan to order Nova acrylics for the job. I plan to mix my own colors. However if there are large areas of a color, I will order larger quantities of that particular color. My question is not how much of each color to get (you would not know this unless you saw the project) I want to know a rough estimate of how much paint all together it will take. I am well aware that different styles of painting use different amounts of paint. I am not going to get mad at anyone if their estimate ended up not being enough for my particular project. If I run out of a color before I complete the project, I will go to my local art store for more paint. I am just totally clueless about the amount of paint it will take. Since I am not an acrylic artist, I do not want stock piles of it on hand to have to store indefinitely.

Thanks again for all your expert advice.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2009, 01:03 PM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

K, that helps, sorry, I thought we had discussed paints in there somewhere!

Assuming you have your wall ready to paint (based in an eggshell or satin housepaint), I personally use Novas, and I can't say I've EVER gone through more than a few 8 oz bottles in any given mural. The pigment load is high and it goes a long way for me... On my Barn mural, my client was amazed at how little paint I actually used. It's nothing like house paint, where you need several gallons to do a room... though you may need to if they haven't based it for you first. I usually offer a significant price break if the client has the wall ready for me to paint on. Most of the time, the client will do it themselves, because they don't have to do several coats... it doesn't have to be perfect, just a decent cover for me to paint over

If you get a few quarts of your colors, you'll likely have more than you need. Pints would still be enough, more than likely, but quarts are a better value if you'll be using them again-- I now use Novas for everything, canvas (regular paintings, or as some call it, "fine art") or murals.. too bad you don't have a bit more time to play with, I would suggest just getting a few 4oz or pints to test.

I have family in Dade City (FL), so if you get a bunch and hate them or don't ever want to use them again, maybe I can buy em from you when I come down again!! PM me if you want my advice/ suggestions about Novas in general, or which colors I find most useful

Michele

I also use a lot of Nova's Slow Dry Matte Liquid to keep them open longer for blending, create transparency and extend the paint. The mediums are cheaper than paint, so it helps your paint go farther

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Texas, say no more

Hails from United States

Hello Steff... just to let you know, I've installed about 50 murals, ranging in size from 4'x7' to 9'x23'.

If you would like to ask any questions about my methods, or the materials I use, I've subscribed to this thread.

I'm new here and I don't have a how-to link yet.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2009, 02:59 AM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

Feel free to share, doubletakes, we love to hear what others have to offer

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2009, 03:15 AM
Texas, say no more

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnwillow
Feel free to share, doubletakes, we love to hear what others have to offer

OK then, here's a youtube link to an install we made a video of:

http://www.youtube.com/user/doublet4.../1/rZJTlJS11UM

I just want my contributions to be appropriate, and not distract from the author's thread.

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2009, 08:08 PM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

Understood, doubletakes, but I think this thread was asking questions about murals on canvas, so I think we're ok THANK YOU so much for posting that link, what a great video! Would love some info such as what you used to mount it to the wall, best wall prep, and what the mural is painted on (stunning mural!!)... you made it look so easy! I think many of us are intimidated by murals painted on canvas because we don't really know how the install happens. This helps me!

Thanks again!

Michele

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2009, 12:38 AM
Texas, say no more

Hails from United States

Actually I'm new here and really finding out some great things.

I'm especially grateful to Steff for starting this string, lots of helpful information. I'm going to have to run it by my mural artists. I might be able to solve some critical issues like shrinkage and such.

They aren't all computer savvy but I'm trying to convert them. There are so many possibilities with vector art and photography.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2009, 03:47 AM
Enthusiast
Northern, NJ

Hails from United States

Your dog looks great! IMO it makes a great base coat plus some darks and highlights. I would add more of the hairs and sheen on your next go-round As an example this is done in Acrylic used liner brush and watered down acrylic to add hair and details over a base not too dissimilar to what you painted.

I guess I don't buy paint in terms of square footage, as I know I will be using anything left. For a budget mural I would use eggshell latex house paint for the background colors Pat
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2018, 07:34 PM
Colorado Springs, CO

Hails from United States

What a wealth of information this post has - thank you to everyone who was helping Steff out, because you've surely helped me (and hopefully many others as well)!

I just completed my first major mural in 10 years, and am looking forward to more in the future. This site seems to be full of kind and encouraging folks, and I hope to get to know a few of you!

If anyone's still around, since this thread is like 9 years old now, but your words are still here to educate and encourage!
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2018, 12:06 AM
Texas, say no more

Hails from United States

Huh, well how do you like that... the subscription function works quite well.
Nice little walk down memory lane.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 12:59 PM
Colorado Springs, CO

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletakes
Huh, well how do you like that... the subscription function works quite well.
Nice little walk down memory lane.
Doubletakes, your video of that canvas installation was helpful to me just last month. I had a large mural I'd painted on canvas and had to transport it from my home and install it in the client's home. This thread, as well as many of the other threads in this forum, really helped me mentally prepare for doing something new, so thank you for sharing your experiences and letting me walk down your memory lane, lol!

We had some slight issues with shrinkage and I missed a spot on one panel, so we had to re-hang almost half the mural, but overall, I'm really pleased with how this process turned out, and I'm hoping to do more murals on canvas!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 03:52 PM
Texas, say no more

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerfHerder
Doubletakes, your video of that canvas installation was helpful to me just last month. I had a large mural I'd painted on canvas and had to transport it from my home and install it in the client's home. This thread, as well as many of the other threads in this forum, really helped me mentally prepare for doing something new, so thank you for sharing your experiences and letting me walk down your memory lane, lol!

We had some slight issues with shrinkage and I missed a spot on one panel, so we had to re-hang almost half the mural, but overall, I'm really pleased with how this process turned out, and I'm hoping to do more murals on canvas!

There are two murals I have on YouTube. The animals looking over the fence, and the stars with the lion's head. One was canvas and one was a print on vinyl wallpaper.

What was your project of? Any pictures? Was it your art? If not, who was the artist?

PM me if you are going to have a long term interest in this process. I'll share with you what I've learned. It's a bunch.