WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2007, 05:36 PM
ALberta, Canada

Hails from Canada
Oh NO.. What should I do???

I did a landscape with ink, am (WAS) planning on watercoloring it.. THEN I realiased that this paper should have been stretched. I used cold press, 140 lbs. It has buckled SLIGHTLY. I don't know now what I should do about it. I will buckle even more once I paint it will it not? (Needless to say I'm VERY new at this or I would have remembered about this part.). ...Thnx in advance...
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Lord of the Arts
Northern IL

Hails from United States
Re: Oh NO.. What should I do???

I just recently did my first painting, which was also watercolor over ink. At the time I did not stretch it because I thought I was just going to test some colors--come to find out it sucked me in and made me paint it! I have been told it is possible to flatten one of these after painting. The person who responded to my similar question told me to use the search feature and search the term "flatten". I haven't gotten around to doing that yet because I started working on another painting and haven't gone back to flatten the first one yet. Hope this helps.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Winter Springs, FL (just outside Orlando)

Hails from United States

Flowers --

After you've finished the painting -- and please, go ahead with it! Make sure it is good and dry on the painted side, then wet down the back. I spray with water and brush in every direction to make sure it is thoroughly dampened. Put a towel or something absorbent on it, and weight it down. I have a heavy board that is larger than my paintings that I use for a weight. On smaller paintings I've used a cutting board or books. Let it sit there weighted for a day or so and once dry, your painting should be nice and flat.

Hope this helps,
Jan
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2007, 07:56 PM
A WC! Legend
Australia

I would let the painting dry. Put it face down on a clean cloth, a clean cloth on the backand iron the back with a hottish iron - no steam - I have done this many times.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Decatur, Georgia

Hails from United States

Good advice, here!

For me, I just wait for it to dry overnight, then paint the back with water (with a large brush), then weight it for a fortnight to dry flat. Towel probably a good idea to keep the water from ruining surfaces. Never had any trouble.

Carry on!

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Any body ever hear of ironing it on the backside with a damp cloth between? I've done that.
Natalie
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2007, 10:15 PM
A WC! Legend
Ontario, West of Toronto

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothychild
Any body ever hear of ironing it on the backside with a damp cloth between? I've done that.
Natalie

Yes, I have and have done it many times.

I lay the dry painting face down on the ironing board, spray the back lightly with water and iron it on middle heat. Takes one minute and ends up flat as a board.
Uschi

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2007, 01:13 AM
Enthusiast
Washintgon (the state)

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers10
I did a landscape with ink, am (WAS) planning on watercoloring it.. THEN I realiased that this paper should have been stretched. I used cold press, 140 lbs. It has buckled SLIGHTLY. I don't know now what I should do about it. I will buckle even more once I paint it will it not? (Needless to say I'm VERY new at this or I would have remembered about this part.). ...Thnx in advance...
If all you've done is the ink work, can't you just soak & stretch the paper now, before adding w/c? What am I missing here?

Enjoy my contributions to RIL here http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...0&ppuser=61016
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2007, 06:07 AM
Oakwood, Ohio, near Dayton.

Hails from United States

Don't worry, you can carry on.

If you want to flatten it before you paint it so you can tape it to a board, do as recommended above. If you are in a hurry you can iron it, otherwise you can wet the back, place it face down on a flat surface like a board and cover with another board and weight it down with books. I usually let it stay like this overnight. The next day it is flat.

Now you can tape it down to a board and proceed to put your watercolor washes over the ink with no problems. If it buckles again, you can repeat the flattening process above before matting and framing it.

Before you do, don't forget to share it with us in the Gallery.

Sylvia
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2007, 09:33 PM
ALberta, Canada

Hails from Canada

You're not missing anything I don't think... just a newbie's panic button.! I needed to know if I could continue with this or if I had to stop & stretch it/would that ruin the sketch & such things.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2007, 09:38 PM
ALberta, Canada

Hails from Canada

How do I do THAT??? (show it to you all?) I can take the pic & get it into the comp but who/where do I put it into here? (I just brought my camera a few weeks ago & am still in the dark about pretty well most of it...and the gal who helped me with what bit I DO know, said..."well first we;ll do this..." ect & SHE did it all while I was sitting there going..."uh...Duh!".... She was just a-clickin' so fast I didn't have a clue (& still don't...asking for clarification didn't cause much of a slow-down...)
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2007, 09:42 PM
ALberta, Canada

Hails from Canada

LOL. Sounds like something I would do too. Have you gotten back to it yet?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2007, 09:44 PM
ALberta, Canada

Hails from Canada

OK I will give it a try. Have some other ones in ink that I will play with first cause I've only done one painting in water so far & NONE on ink...
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2007, 11:22 PM
Lord of the Arts
Northern IL

Hails from United States

Flowers, if you will hit the "quote" button when you reply, we can see what you are replying to and will be better able to respond appropriately and understand what you are answering.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2007, 11:46 PM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Read this thread................ http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...hreadid=330343