WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2007, 08:50 AM
A WC! Legend
Warsaw, IN....The ARTful Dodger

Hails from United States
On Getting STUCK in a RUT

Have you ever reached a plateau in your painting??? Feel like you are stuck in a rut and have no inspiration?? Yes...I was there last month. Good news my friends! Halleluja George! I have found a way around this lack of inspiration. It may not work for you...but worth a shot eh?
I felt there was a boulder of doom blocking my way. I would never paint a painting again. I was in a definite "blue funk". Usually I would try painting in a different medium....which has worked in the past but was not budging this boulder of doom. So....it called for some drastic measures.

This is where my videos came into the picture. I decided if I could not move that boulder I would ....go around it. The idea is to stay within the realm of painting without making the painting the most important thing. In other words I made videos of painting...which got me to paint. I know...psychological stuff here.
But it did get me thinking about how you can move yourself out of a non painting mood or lack of inspiration mood. You could write a short essay on painting...with illustrations. You could sing while painting abstracts...which is another good motivator to stop singing and get with painting. Another way is to teach someone...even if it is your doggie to paint. The actual putting brush laden with paint onto paper is the main motivator.
I know we can all come up with ways around this "boulder of doom" and start painting again. I think this is thinking outside the box? Char?

I do apologize if I am rambling on...but I was seriously in a non painting...non inspired mood for a very long time. I found that this helped me...and maybe it will get you to thinking how you can move foreword with your painting (if you are having the same problems I had). If not....yippeee!! why are you reading this??? go paint something!
My ACEOs
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: On Getting STUCK in a RUT

I find the little videos very instructive, Beverley. I suggest you try to show your palette in the frame if possible and record a commentary describing the colours and techniques you are using.

I added your Tribal Abstract video to the Demos.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2007, 12:21 AM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

Bless your heart, Beverly!!! YES! We each have to find that *something* that gives us a kick start now and again...

It was Arnold who got me to thinking about this... he's said, more than once that "you'll always get what you've always got if you always do what you've always done".

It's so easy to stagnate... rather like wearing a pair of comfortable old slippers... but... they get sloppy and eventually, we just have to throw them out... Then, the *boulder of doom* enters the picture... we just can't imagine painting anything at all!!

For me, I've been trying a LOT of new things... each KIUAN thread drives me to try new techniques or explore those techniques I haven't bothered with... then, I return to my comfort zone for a rest... paint those subjects I'm comfortable with...

The Challenges have forced me to paint, meeting a deadline, when I just felt that I could never lift my brush again... That enforcement is good for me as it helps me to ride out my *funk*...

Thanks for starting this thread... I would love to read how others keep themselves fresh...

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2007, 01:28 PM
A WC! Legend
Warsaw, IN....The ARTful Dodger

Hails from United States

Char...some days are better than others. *LOL* I hope I was not too acerbic in my previous post. I hope others will tell how they get past this stage.
My ACEOs
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Lord of the Arts
Northern IL

Hails from United States

I am too new at watercolor to answer this directly, but I know when it happened to me when I was making jewelry, I would pick the simplest, most routine thing to make and make several in different colors. They were familiar and easy, and they gave me the feel of the beads and wire in my hands, the pleasure of creating something beautiful. That was enough most times to put the desire back in me. Sometimes I would give myself a little time off before starting with it, too--read a good book or research something I was curious about....then start off easy with familiar things....then maybe look at some eye candy in a magazine or online....and pretty soon I was creating again with gusto. I'm hoping that similar tactics will work with this medium as well.