Home Forums Explore Subjects Figure, The More from the figure group 23rd May

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I seem to be posting a lot, but our figure group is running twice a week currently, plus there aren’t many of us putting work up on here right now and I want to keep the group flowing.

Last night we were back to a male model. He provided plenty of different poses and had a figure that showed good definition. I’m still struggling to decide how i should approach the shorter poses, either as just a gesture or try to get some of the shape…

His bottom looks wrong but he really did poke it out like that ;)

5 minutes…

10 minutes…

These sketches were over a couple of poses where i wanted to get a little more detail, the twisted foot, second down on the right, looked fine when i drew it – now i can hardly make out what it is ;)

The last pose, 15 minutes. The veins in his hanging arm began to stick out, like the Statue of David, so I tried to get some of that feel…

As an aside, I’ve just bought a very accurate, full size skull replica from ebay at just over £21. Apart from being a macabre entertainment in my gallery, I’m looking forward to drawing it. Every artist should have one :)

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
    More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
    Instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

Some very confident mark-making, David!

bethany
    moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
    website www.bethanyart.com
    My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

123harry

Always good to see your work. That 5 minute job seated with his back to us has a beautiful fluid line to it. I keep coming back to it for the sheer sensual pleasure…….
        I’ve given up on Mike’s figure group. Contending myself with iPad doodling.
        I like your skull (well not yours….)

C&C always welcome.
        Instagram harry.hamill

Good stuff on the longer studies David. I’m not sure whether to advise on the really quick poses but try not to do too much. Getting gesture lines and a head in sometime conveys the pose. Personally I wish I could follow people who look for internal structure rather than outlines. I’m not sure how to do that without ending with stick characters but if I learn anything I will let you know.

Nathan.
        C&C always appreciated.
        My art on Instagram

llawrence

Cool. The fives are my favorites. Post away!

Thanks Harry, a compliment indeed. Get back to the figure group, I miss your work! The group I attend is by no means perfect but it’s very inexpensive and any figure drawing is better than none (oops almost sounds like a brexit statement ;) Yep, the skull is an asset, very tactile and great to look at. I wonder who he was…?

Thanks bethany, working hard to get a confident mark, doesnt always work of course :)

Thanks Nathan, I agree its so easy to end up with a stick man! there are so many different styles of gestures and I keep trying new ones. I look forward to any hints you discover. It’s like searching for the holy grail :)

Thank you llawrence, glad you like those :)

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
            Instagram

Ah yes how to approach the different length poses, not coming from any particular training background I find my drawing is a continual natural evolution, at present I’m starting the 1 minutes and trying to arrange them on the one page (A3) mainly the gesture and without necessarily trying to include extremities, 2 minutes I try to get more of the beauty of the gesture usually two to a page,

yours are coming on fine!

I really like the arm study:thumbsup:

And I’d love to have a skull… I haven’t seen any around though!

Mac

Thanks Mac, my gestures sometimes work, other times are a nightmare. Thanks for the arm comment, I was pleased too 😊 skull was from China via Ireland, about £19, accurate too, some are rubbish

Instagram

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.