WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > The Shutterbug Pub
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 09:29 AM
A WC! Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States
Shutterbug Pub Daily, Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Good day, everyone.

I got a solid 8-1/2 hours of sleep last night - by far the most in months.

Woke up refreshed (although a little stiff and sore from so much time lying prone), then recorded my investment results from yesterday, as I do every day. A few days ago, sensing that something was going to happen to hammer the markets, I decided to move about 40% of my investments in one account out of underperforming funds and into cash. Just in time to avoid a big loss due to Trump's tariff tirade. The next day I moved most of this cash into sectors that I believe are better suited for where we are in the business cycle; also just in time, because those new sector positions did well yesterday and I'm confident they are better poised than where I had the money before. While I'm far from an expert, things worked out well this time. But who knows what today and tomorrow will bring?

Another shot from a few days ago of the attractive tiny whitish-yellow blossoms on one of our bushes...

[Nikon D7500 with Nikkor 18-300mm at 300mm, manual mode, 1/800 sec, f/6.3, ISO 320, processed in ACR then PSCS5]

We'll have very little sunshine here for the next few days (that's normal this time of year - they call it May gray and June gloom), with rain starting late tonight and extending through mid-morning. (Some of the local mountains will get inches of snow. In May!) I guess I'd better take my walks and run my errands today.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 10:32 AM
A WC! Legend
South Dakota, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Shutterbug Pub Daily, Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Good Morning Dave! Good selective focus on the bush flowers. Sounds like you are more of an investment guru than you give yourself credit for!

Here is a shot from my balcony of the flowering crab tree I believe. It doesn't bear fruit but each year we have the tent caterpillar problem. For years we have been using an elixir of 1 cup of water, sugar, and vinegar plus a banana peel in a plastic milk jug. Hang it in the tree for the spring. No more caterpillar problem. Must smell like rotting fruit to them so they stay away.

Cameras Canon SX160IS, ELPH 170IS Photoshop Elements 2018, Topaz Studio, Adjust, and Simplify.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 10:52 AM
A WC! Legend
South Dakota, USA

Hails from United States

OK, I have decided to go with the denoise in my Topaz Studio software. Seems to work good for the camera I use. I don't shoot in raw and with only 16 Megapixels to use may be the reason. Image was shot at ISO 800 due to not setting back to ISO 100 after interior shots of plane.

All images shown at 100%

Original image

Stand alone denoise software

Topaz studio

Cameras Canon SX160IS, ELPH 170IS Photoshop Elements 2018, Topaz Studio, Adjust, and Simplify.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 01:44 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States

Rich, I guess considering that you do not shoot in raw, the DiNoise should work well enough for you without investing more money into editing software.

We have a mixture of sun and clouds here today so I just may go to the park about 7 miles north of here for my annual spring visit. The blossoms should finally be blooming. Hope to capture tulips and daffodils and possible the first family of Canada Geese. For sure I will take some photos for the current Darkroom challenge.

Thanks for starting the daily, Dave. The black background really created nice contrast to your finely in-focused tiny white flowers. I am glad that you were able to advantage of the erratic stock market activity. Feels good when you get lucky but I think you must do a lot of researching before you press the submit button.

But before I go, let me leave you with this photo I took at the Dali Vision Exhibit in ST. Petersburgh, Florida.

This is one of Dali's famous paintings. Hopefully you get a sense of how huge it is. Many of Dali's paintings are "picture within Pictures" . Where these two gals are standing, you see the back of a naked lady. That would be Dali's wife. But if you walk back about 60 feet from the large painting, the nude female sort of blend in and another image emerges. To get this effect, maybe step back a few feet and squint your eyes. Do you see it? By the way, this painting was completed in 1976 in conjunction of the USA's celebration of 200 years of independence.

These two little gals are listening to a recording that explains the history, meaning, and details of the paintings at Dali Vision.

Going out for a while, be back later to see how you are all doing.

Nikon D5100, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Tamron 16-300mm lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens

Last edited by Luv2shoot : 05-15-2019 at 01:48 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 04:49 PM
A WC! Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Hi Rich. That looks like a very well tended tree (and lawn behind it). I'd agree that the Topaz DeNoise did the better job. Like all denoising routines, the image gets smoothed a bit, But the Topaz one seemed to minimize this. If it were me, I'd fine tune it by applying a layer mask and use it to reduce the effect over selected areas by painting on it with black or gray.

Lorell, I hope your visit to the park gives you some keeper floral photos. BTW, I do see the larger picture in Dali's work - pretty neat!

Regarding my investing expertise, I suspect I'm at the point that validates the familiar saying "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing." But at least this time my decision and especially the timing worked out as I'd hoped. Still, I know I got lucky and I recognize the wisdom of what the Clint Eastwood character Dirty Harry said, "a man's just got to know his limitations."

Earlier today I got a good laugh out of Pippin. Hearing him barking in a way that sounded familiar, I rushed out front to see him at the base of the Jacaranda tree, looking up, barking angrily at a squirrel, and trying furiously but futilely to climb the tree. Meanwhile, the squirrel, about 10 feet above but knowing he was safe, glared defiantly at Pippin.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 05:39 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Victoria

Hails from Australia

Dave, your floral today is handled with great sensitivity. just focusing on the few nearest blooms against a soft bokeh.

Rich - What a great view from your balcony of the crab tree, and all beyond, Like Dave, you're obviously Rich ...

Lorell, When at art school, I bought a fabulous book of the complete works of Dali's, it's pages were filled with colour plates at the foot of which there was always a one of his eloquent comments. His lovely wife Gala featured in many of his paintings, indeed she was doubtless his model for the one you display. Sadly, during the course of my early itinerant life style, someone must have taken a fancy to the book and it disappeared from my collection.

I came upon a small gathering of Red Rumped Parrots foraging in the forest after the rain.

All in all it's been a productive day; King Parrots this morning, two Bombardier passenger jets flew in this afternoon,
and later a small flock of Red Rumped Parrots were found foraging in a reserve.

On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Last edited by Greenhill : 05-15-2019 at 05:51 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 09:26 AM
A WC! Legend
South Dakota, USA

Hails from United States

Thanks Lorell, That is a cool painting, yes I can see Lincoln.

Thanks Dave,
What you are seeing as a lawn is actually a landlocked piece of ground we call a field. The builders of the condos back in 1995 were going to put another one out there but decided not to. The reason, was because they couldn't get the condos in the first building sold. People in town at that time didn't understand the condo concept. They had to rent a bunch before they finally got sold. I doubt anyone will ever build on it as there id no way in or out. It is surrounded by private homes.

Thanks Mark, as I always say, I am RICH in many things but not monetarily. Awesome parrot shots!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 12:06 PM
A WC! Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Wonderfully sharp photos of the parrots, Mark.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 02:09 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States

Mark,
I can see why you cherished your Dali book so much. He sure was a talented artist but one needs a book to explain all the symbolism and stories behind each painting. It was all so interesting.

Pretty pictures of King Parrots especially since they were surrounded by dew drops. Will they stick around during the winter months?
Nikon D5100, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Tamron 16-300mm lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 02:59 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Victoria

Hails from Australia

Rich, Dave, Lorell, thanks for admiring our parrots, they are exquisitely 'painted' birds, aren't they, and there are literally hundreds of different species of them.
They do stick around all through winter and throughout summer so long as there's water in the creek. When the creek dries up, the birds will naturally move on.

On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill