WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2019, 06:29 PM
Lubbock, TX

Hails from United States
Smile WIP Train through Glacier National Park

Working on a painting for my Brother-in-law. Heís a railroad buff and is working on a model of a train that used to run through Glacier National Park, combining his hobby(and work) and his favorite place in the world.

Hereís my reference:

Hereís the work so far:

I had this as part of another thread on my first three paintings. There was a lot of good info on that thread but it was mostly on the second page after my first to works. One suggestion that was definitely on point is that I need to flatten the track back towards the distance. In seeing that, i also need to clarify the ďnotchĒ at the bend where it would have been cut into mountain for a flat track bed. At the same time, Iím going to try and increase the angle up the hill to better represent the reference.

Hereís my unfinished study for the engine:

Itís only my third painting so as suggested In The other thread I might not be ready. It may turn into a Christmas present (for some year) if I canít manage it but I hope not.

Suggestions, critiques, and ideas are most welcome.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 12:45 PM
Lubbock, TX

Hails from United States
Re: WIP Train through Glacier National Park

Since Iím hoping to use the new Liquitex soft body set I bought*, have I have couple of mixing questions:
1) for the gray on the stones, should I use the black (since I have it) with the titanium white?
2) for the sky, should I add anything to the ultramarine+white?

*mars black, napthol crimson, cad yellow hue, pthalo green-blue, ultramarine blue, and titanium white in the set.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 01:07 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Welcome to the forum and I hope art as therapy is working for you ... it can certainly make us forget other aspects of life for a while!

I have read your other thread and you've made a good start and also received some sound advice there.

Let me suggest that you take your time ... no matter how long any of us has been painting, we are all still learning!

If you want to make a painting like a reference, as here, your first task is to really study that ref, before committing to canvas.

Ask yourself questions about the picture .... what's most important? .... what do I want to achieve?.... what's the focal point?... how much space does it occupy?... where is my viewpoint? .... what are the angles of elements in the picture and where are they placed?
For instance, how much track do I actually see? When I do see the rails and the sleepers, how far apart are they, how much do they impinge on my vision?
How do I make something lie flat? ( notice how your track looks more like a fence?!)
Get the drawing right first, on paper if necessary and then trace onto the canvas .... if drawing is hard for you yet, make a ref the same size as your canvas and use tracedown to get the work right (tracedown should be available in art stores).

In the forum, take a look at the Information Kiosk, a sub forum at the top of the page, and maybe look at the Classroom Index... lots of very helpful threads there about how to do things.

Good luck and keep enjoying creating!

Edit .... just saw your second post .... try to avoid making grey from bl and white ... mix opposites together and lighten with white ... adjust quantities for balance ... or, with limited hues, make a bl+white and add a touch of another colour to take away the deadness of the grey..... rocks are seldom without colour!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 05-12-2019 at 01:13 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 03:07 PM
Lubbock, TX

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
Welcome to the forum and I hope art as therapy is working for you ... it can certainly make us forget other aspects of life for a while!

I have read your other thread and you've made a good start and also received some sound advice there.

Let me suggest that you take your time ... no matter how long any of us has been painting, we are all still learning!

Edit .... just saw your second post .... try to avoid making grey from bl and white ... mix opposites together and lighten with white ... adjust quantities for balance ... or, with limited hues, make a bl+white and add a touch of another colour to take away the deadness of the grey..... rocks are seldom without colour!

Any suggestions on what colors to mix for grays/stone?

Wish I could find a color picture of this scene but no joy. Other areas seem to have stolen with patches of dark green, purple, and occasionally yellow foliage.

ETA: another newbie question, somewhere I heard that you should work from dark to light. The underpainting as I start over on the hillside, should I go with the darkest stone color and cover it with the lighter as I build up.

Last edited by Cadfaeltex : 05-12-2019 at 03:41 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 04:18 PM
Lubbock, TX

Hails from United States

Hereís a good photo of elsewhere in the park...
https://images.app.goo.gl/MwnbNMEZ3q3AC6DH6

Should I assume the colors would be similar?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2019, 05:11 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Yes, go with the colours in this ref.

The rocks look to be quite warm- coloured by the picture, so add orange to your grey .... add a little at a time, touches or red and yellow.
Knowing the kind of rocks will also help ... granite?, limestone?, sandstone?

Painting from dark to light helps build solidity - if you miss areas, the dark shows through and is much less distracting than little light bits. It's actually good practice to start with a base coverage of a colour, like ochre or red, it's amazing how then, all those little missed bits help unite the painting and add liveliness.

The grayscale image you have will really help you build your tonal comp showing the balance in your scale of tones/ values, from very dark to lightest lights.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2019, 01:16 PM
Lubbock, TX

Hails from United States

Got to Use the Liquitex soft body set. Mixed up ultramarine for the sky and used the cad yellow medium hue to cover the hill side Iím redoing. Next time Iíll try and mix up some darker gray to get the base layer of the hill.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2019, 02:44 PM
Lubbock, TX

Hails from United States

Think I want to put some thin wispy clouds in that small area of clouds, (wish Iíd greyed it a bit more). I see a lot of info on fluffy clouds bot not thin ones. Any tips or links?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2019, 10:07 PM

A couple of suggestions...there are some great you tube videos on almost any topic....skies, trees, rocks, etc.

On colors: skies are rarely just blue....I use a lot of various blues, maybe some green, even a bit of red or yellow.

A trick I recently learned from a you tube video that has really, really helped my clouds: use some light colors with your white (for example, a shade of violet for the shadows of the cloud)...then using a blending brush and just blend outwards so that they become wispy.

Study nature....when you look a sky, look with a critical eye to pick up the nuances of color.

This is true for all of your objects....I rarely, if ever, use a paint straight from the tube to the canvas but I mix the colors to get the variance that is in nature.

As far as the tracks...I wouldn't paint the tracks except for the ones in front of the train...look at your reference photo. You know the tracks are there because your brain says that they are, but they don't really show.

You have picked an ambitious subject but there's no reason that you cannot accomplish a painting that you will be proud of as will the recipient. Let yourself enjoy the journey of creating a beautiful piece of art.

The nice thing about acrylics is how easily you can paint over any area that you don't like. I've done many a painting with multiple under paintings...but all the viewer sees is the final product.

Continue painting....it's great therapy Ö or creates the need for therapy
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 10:26 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanJoSimp
Continue painting....it's great therapy Ö or creates the need for therapy

Yep. Learn all you can but also remember to enjoy the process.

I can easily feel overwhelmed so my approach is to establish the placement of everything and then work one area at a time, trying to work from back to front.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 11:54 AM
Lubbock, TX

Hails from United States
Question Re: WIP Train through Glacier National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderFrost
Yep. Learn all you can but also remember to enjoy the process.

I can easily feel overwhelmed so my approach is to establish the placement of everything and then work one area at a time, trying to work from back to front.

Next step I think is to line out the track since it divides that rock area into definite sections. Then Iíll probably get the background colors down and start building out. Iím wondering if I should draw out the train as well since it blocks out a lot of space in that area?
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:26 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Yes, you could get the train in place next. Remember, draw what you see, not what you think you see.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 12:01 PM
Lubbock, TX

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderFrost
Yes, you could get the train in place next. Remember, draw what you see, not what you think you see.

I am going to do at least another study on a canvas board before I go to the final canvas.

@NanJoSimp great suggestions. Iíve been watching a lot of videos on YouTube, especially Chuck Black Art.

Last edited by Cadfaeltex : 05-16-2019 at 12:05 PM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 07:01 PM
Lubbock, TX

Hails from United States

Hereís another reference on the engine...
http://www.greatnorthernempire.net/i...N_S2_Class.htm

Got a small canvas board, stole a pencil from my son, and tried to sketch*

*drawing is one of the reasons Iíve always told myself I canít do art!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadfaeltex
Hereís another reference on the engine...
http://www.greatnorthernempire.net/i...N_S2_Class.htm

Got a small canvas board, stole a pencil from my son, and tried to sketch*

*drawing is one of the reasons Iíve always told myself I canít do art!

Yea, drawing is not my strength either. A couple of suggestions that might help you through this portion of your painting....1) use graph paper to make a grid Ö the video link below may explain this better than I can or 2) enlarge the photo to the size of your painting (if this is at all possible depending on the size of your painting...and when enlarging, be sure to keep the same aspect ratio as the photo) and then transfer it to your canvas using graphite paper. That is my preferred way......to me, it's the simplest and easiest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=088v4hXE4xs

You can do this and enjoy the time you spend creating a work of art that is truly yours