WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2019, 09:12 AM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa
Re: Prismatoid's sketches - watch me grow

You're doing well. Great going.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2019, 10:48 PM
A Local Legend
Gretton

Hails from United Kingdom

Some really nice sketches here. The bird studies are very lifelike. You seem to be progressing very quickly.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 03:26 AM

Thanks tuscanny and 123harry! I'm already seeing a big difference in my imagination drawing although all I've been doing there is doodling in a scratchbook.

Here is today's self portrait.

Uh-oh we got values coming back in now

Here's a sketchbook comparison of sessions "Spiders 1" (May 3rd) and "Spiders 2" (May 11th)

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 05:50 AM
London

Hails from United Kingdom

Wow! I'm really enjoying watching your progress. Well done.

C & C always welcome
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 01:14 PM

I like the drawings and it's beautiful what you're doing
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 11:43 PM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

The portrait is looking good. Your arachnids are cool too!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2019, 03:16 AM

Good morning Drawing & Sketching.
Here is today's self portrait.

I had a lot of trouble with accuracy today, not sure why. Lots of measuring and erasing guidelines. I thought I'd done ok with the final work until I scanned it. Hah

Thanks all for the kind comments!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2019, 06:52 AM

Today I ran out of space in my scratchbook. All the pages are used up!
Before I put it away and pick another, let's flick through.

WARNING! There will not be much that is pretty in this post These notebooks are used for absolutely everything you could imagine. Initial planning stages of ideas were never intended to be seen by anyone and are extremely raw and rough.

Scratchbook Retrospective

This is on the first page of the book. I don't recall the context. There is a date 1/1/2012. Honestly I'm impressed that I made an attempt to sketch something from life that far back, even if it's a 5 minute biro scribble on lined paper.

After that there's mostly miscellaneous notes and writing and shopping lists and such. The book didn't see regular/heavy use until January this year.

This is fun. Here I am trying to do gestures to make a strong pose for a cartoon character I had an idea for, a tribal warrior Dunkleosteus (it's an extinct armored fish). I think the central gesture was better than what I eventually did. Oh well.

Here's something really unusual: I'm trying to design a structure to build in Minecraft. The concept is the hulk of a crashed airship that was subsequently converted into a house.

I have plans to do some dedicated studying of buildings and architecture at some later date, to improve my perspective drawing and, uh. Minecraft related creativity. haha. I'm a big baby who still plays with digital legos.

Here I had an idea for a fantasy painting with a Tengu (Japanese bird-demon) perched on a rooftop overlooking a decorative garden, but I wussed out partly because I had no idea how to do the composition and partly because I didn't have the anatomy/construction skills to do it the way I wanted. But I will not forget him... one day he'll come to life.

This is a very important page because it's where it all begins! I am on a bus on the way home from my parents house, it's a long ride of many hours so I start to draw plant and tree details that I see outside the window and put a fantasy spin on some of them. There is THE LIST of study subjects that I have been following in my sketchbook project!

Final page, a face sketch from a photo, and an imagination drawing: using what I have learned from the cat studies I tried to make a realistic anatomy Mew from Pokemon. It's... mildly horrifying. haha.

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2019, 04:56 AM

Good morning Drawing & Sketching, here is today's selfportrait.

Trying hard for accuracy again in initial stages, lots of erasing + redrawing before starting to go in with the values. I am getting better at spotting errors. Now if only I could stop twisting my head to one side while I'm trying to measure myself...
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 03:52 AM

Good morning Drawing & Sketching!

I have been getting a little concerned that I will end up teaching myself to draw the same drawing over and over, so there is a new rule: every 10th self portrait will have a subtle difference. Hopefully this will keep things fresh

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 03:52 PM

This week I passed page 55 of my sketchbook. This means that I am over half way to filling up the book. As someone with many abandoned sketchbooks in my history, I'm proud of this!

My accuracy, while still far from acceptable, has improved immensely since I started the daily self portrait discipline. So far with the sketchbook I have mostly been cranking out quick scrappy drawings in large quantities. I want to start paying more attention to aesthetic appeal. This is a dangerous game because aesthetics and the Fear Of Messing Up are why I could never keep a sketchbook going in the first place... but I think I'll be all right if I just ensure that I do some longer, more detailed studies as well as the quick stuff.

Speaking of scratchbooks, a new scratchbook has been selected. It's a tiny little thing that I've had for 20 years and only a few pages were written on (there was a note about the timing of a school exam!). The covers are made out of recycled tires. The paper is only basic writing quality paper but it is at least not lined this time. I mean to use it now for general purpose doodling, planning, note-taking and imaginary stuff, as before.

Imaginary desert scene I did this afternoon in between bats.

If I didn't explain what scratchbooks are to me, they are basically a no-pressure Doodle Zone. Sketchbooks are scary. Scratchbooks can have anything in from pen tests to shopping lists and it's all just fine. One day I expect and hope that the two will blur into one, once I've lost my remaining fear of messing up a Proper Artist's Sketchbook.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 06:41 AM

Good morning Drawing & Sketching

I found today's self portrait frustrating. But in the interest of progress I'll post the bad in this thread along with the good.

Something is not working right with my measuring process. Also I am doing too much meaningless mucking around with the shading. I need to focus on what is important.

Tonight I'm going to take a look at what Mr Bridgman has to say about structures, and tomorrow I think I'll try to pull it right back and just do perhaps 1-2 solid values of shading to try and find the actual shapes.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2019, 05:34 AM
A WC! Legend

cool to see the progression!
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2019, 07:12 AM

Good morning Drawing & Sketching.

After yesterday's debacle I felt quite demoralized, demotivated, and various other things that begin with de. (De-pressed? De... formed? Well, the drawing maybe...)

I have been getting too ambitious, wanting to dive into all the rendering without having the necessary basic drawing skills. This led me to frustration and things that begin with de-. Today I tried a different strategy. Accuracy of measurements is not as important as achieving likeness, I think. So I did very little measuring. I kept Mr Bridgman open at my elbow, since he's already done all the hard work of figuring out the construction of the skull, and let him guide me through getting the basics down.

I also tried to keep everything much simpler in the interests of saying more with less.

I like this drawing much better than yesterday's, but regrettably, since clearly I Can't Have Nice Things, I sprayed too much hairspray on it and warped the paper.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2019, 10:53 AM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Looking good.