WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2013, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member

Tool to help draw a grid?

I was wondering if anyone makes a tool that makes it easier to draw an exact grid. I haven't seen such a thing, but it might exist. Thank you.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2013, 05:48 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States
Re: Tool to help draw a grid?

To use a grid you really need two - one on the reference and one on the drawing. There are a number of ways to get a grid on the reference, but as far as I know, the only way to do one on the drawing is to measure it out and draw it by hand. For the reference, Gimp or Photoshop will superimpose a grid of whatever size you wish on the image.

In Photoshop, set the grid size and color in preferences/guides,grid and slices. Then to show the grid, view/show/grid. I don't know GIMP but it ought to be very similar.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2013, 07:50 AM
WC! Guide
Magnolia, Arkansas

Hails from United States

Merry Christmas to all of you!
Ken, I have Photoshop, and I followed the instructions that you just mentioned but I can't print the image having the grid! How can I print the photo with the grids?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Ah yes .. I forgot about that. Simple solution. When you have the grid showing on your reference in photoshop, press ctrl-print screen together. Then turn off the show/grid. Drop down file/new - be sure the size is set to the clipboard (should be by default) and then paste (ctrl-V) the clipboard to the new image and there's the grid for printing. Sorry I forgot to say how to do this ...
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2013, 09:44 AM
A WC! Legend

low tech:

in a word processing program, insert a table, choosing sizes of columns and rows... print it out...

put the print out chart in a plastic folder. trace the grid on the front of a plastic folder...insert reference photo...reusable
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2013, 12:40 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowHawk7
In Photoshop, set the grid size and color in preferences/guides,grid and slices. Then to show the grid, view/show/grid. I don't know GIMP but it ought to be very similar.
Very similar in GIMP, but as in PS, that grid is not integrated in the image. However there is a "permanent" grid under the menu
"Filters->Render->Pattern->Grid"

Drawing and Sketching Forum Guide for D&S Classroom
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2013, 02:01 PM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

doesn't anyone just print out the reference picture, in B&W, then use a RULER to divide the original and the canvas into appropriate squares?

By the time you have done all that work in the computer you could have the value study gridded and clipped to the easel. And it would allow you to use the scale you choose. good for the brain and the fingers.

I have done all of this on the computer as described here, but it is best to learn to use a ruler, I draw the lines lightly with soft vine charcoal on the primed/gessoed canvas. then I dust most of it off. It disappears as you paint.

gridding is best done only to get general shapes and placements, otherwise it becomes a crutch and very time consuming.
It also helps with value studies if the original ref phot is done in B&W, color confuses if used alone.

I often use a free wooden yardstick I got at a real hardware store years ago for the lines on the canvas, nuttin better.

greggo
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2013, 06:27 PM
WC! Guide
Magnolia, Arkansas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Ah yes .. I forgot about that. Simple solution. When you have the grid showing on your reference in photoshop, press ctrl-print screen together. Then turn off the show/grid. Drop down file/new - be sure the size is set to the clipboard (should be by default) and then paste (ctrl-V) the clipboard to the new image and there's the grid for printing. Sorry I forgot to say how to do this ...

Ken,
I finally got it! It was not easy at the beginning, but then I found the trick how to do it faster now. Thank you.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Yes, getting the grid on the reference can be very fast ... but there's no quick way to draw a grid overlay on the drawing. That's what put me off doing grids. Oddly enough since I spend 120+ hours doing a drawing, I have no patience laying out a grid. Nor do I have patience to do a basic line drawing first. I just start at the left side eye and work my way out from that using angles and measurements. Well, we all have our methods and approaches to drawing. But gridding is a legitimate method dating back possibly to the ancient Egyptians and used extensively since then.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2013, 11:06 PM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Yes, getting the grid on the reference can be very fast ... but there's no quick way to draw a grid overlay on the drawing. That's what put me off doing grids. Oddly enough since I spend 120+ hours doing a drawing, I have no patience laying out a grid. Nor do I have patience to do a basic line drawing first. I just start at the left side eye and work my way out from that using angles and measurements. Well, we all have our methods and approaches to drawing. But gridding is a legitimate method dating back possibly to the ancient Egyptians and used extensively since then.

I have tried using grids, only to find that they helped me not in the least: I could get no closer to an accurate likeness using a grid than I could by just eyeballing. Not sure why this should be so, but I found working with a grid rather boring anyway.

I have had some success trying to use your method of starting somewhere and then carefully working outwards, but I found it very difficult to make the initial bit the right size and put it in the right place, so that the eventual drawing would be correctly placed. I would think this would get even more difficult if you want to put more than one thing in your picture.

Anyway, in more than twenty years of battling it out with reference photos, I have never managed to learn how to achieve an accurate likeness of anything - I have kind of given up on it now. May the OP have better luck! :-)
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2013, 11:31 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

I do use a great many measurements when placing that first eye because everything after that relates to it. Angles, distances, etc. Doing this properly, of course, requires using a photo editing program to place the image exactly where I want it in the drawing. Getting a likeness with this method is undoubtedly more difficult than using a grid though because using a grid allows you to get an overall relationship throughout the drawing while mine requires more leaps of faith in that measurements are correct along with placement which is why I do not recommend it for others. I do not worry about the overall drawing or the likeness but just work outward a mm at a time. It is very tedious but I find the likeness just happens. This method works adequately for me and it's the way I learned to draw a few years ago. Each of the initial eye drawings represents around 6 hours work. Throughout the drawing I go over initial work at every sitting and make adjustments as needed. I probably put about 10-12 or so hours on that cat eye overall throughout the drawing - much less so on Burnside's initial eye.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2013, 04:04 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Sparrowhawk: I would guess could use your method to make a far less detailed drawing too, by starting with one shape and then working outwards, without necessarily taking each shape to completion. One would then end up with a line drawing that can be filled in with more tone.

Still not sure how one would go about trying to create a complex composition in this way. And it surely requires great accuracy, because even the slightest error will perpetuate itself through the entire drawing.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2013, 06:18 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

I have a great deal of difficulty if I have to traverse any sizable area such as a forehead because there usually just aren't enough reference points. I anticipate all those areas and work my way around using other "signposts". It's basically the details that are my road map.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2013, 07:08 AM
WC! Guide
Magnolia, Arkansas

Hails from United States

Ken,
Man, that is too complicated for me. You are really bold when working like that, but you are used to it! I have used the grids but in smaller squares so I could get the minimal details, but again, it becomes difficult to erase the lines on the paper after you finish with the initial sketch. Years ago I purchased a grid kit that contained vynil sheets with the imprinted grid already. I inserted the reference photo inside the double vynil sheet and then secured the photo with clips in order to prevent any drift of the photo. No matter how careful I was the technique was far from being perfect.
However, I remember seeing a Wetcanvas realistic artist from England using strings on the canvas as grids but it looked complicated but he was able to do a good job with his technique. He is an oil painter. I can't remember his name.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2013, 07:48 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
I have a great deal of difficulty if I have to traverse any sizable area such as a forehead because there usually just aren't enough reference points. I anticipate all those areas and work my way around using other "signposts". It's basically the details that are my road map.

I have that same problem: I just can't seem to accurately judge shape and proportion over larger areas. Perhaps I should give your method another go!