WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2019, 10:35 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States
Re: Scavenger Hunt #586 May 4- 12th

Jo — It honestly helps to know that you give them as cards. Your art is the kind of work that actually makes the world better in a substantial way in my opinion. Love your new sketches, and the comment with #2 cracked me up. It's a friendly page and seeing it starts my day off right!
---> Pieces..... (both freehand, Procreate app)
"Be generous with your joy. Give away what you most want. Be generous with your insights and delights." (Pema Chödrön)
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2019, 10:47 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

item #2 - "bumble bee"

a tiny ceramic bee riveted to my lampshade

It seems there won't be a chance of finding a bumble bee to sketch around here in time for this event, so I went ahead and sketched the tiny ceramic bee figurine on my lampshade from Hallmark. It's about half an inch long. The lamp bee was plain to the point of having no eyes. I thought real bees had two large and four small eyes, but I checked on Bing, and they only have three small, for a total of five. I incorporated them.

-------------

When the tragic fire engulfed the roof of the Notre Dame, they thought the thousands of bees kept on the lower roof (of the sacristy) would die. But they survived. I'm so grateful for that. To me, bees themselves are miracles, and it seems only right (and long overdue) that they were on the receiving end of a miracle this time after all the miracles they perform for the world.

I tried to incorporate some of that Notre Dame environment, as well as the tragedy that become part of each bee's life and history, into my painting.

-------------

France is smart. Until the tragedy unfolded, I never knew that not only do they keep bees on the roof at the Notre Dame, but they also do so at the Paris Opera and at many, many sites all over Paris!

Despite the recklessly self-destructive eradication of bees in many parts of my area of the world, bees still thrive in protected areas like public gardens run by responsible people who understand how nature balances herself when given the freedom to do so. I love walking through thousands of them on the narrow pathways of these places. Sharing the sun with them is one of the most wonderful experiences.... watching as they cross in front of me, listening to the vibrant noise ebbing and flowing from their collective number as they go about their work in complete peace.

Bees are genuine miracles in action.

Tools:

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil

Procreate (old version) app for the sketch and partial border.

Art Studio Pro app for the crop, downsize and export.

Process:

Virtual acrylic on virtual panel.

Freehand, no drafting tools or tracing, digital or otherwise.

No grid or smoothing or symmetry or cloning, digital or otherwise.

No filters or effects. No color intensification or exaggeration.

Reference located a few inches away.
"Be generous with your joy. Give away what you most want. Be generous with your insights and delights." (Pema Chödrön)

Last edited by Pine Cone : 05-06-2019 at 10:58 AM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2019, 05:21 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Thanks for the nice welcome back.

Pine Cone, I wish I could have posted in the last few hunts using my sketches from Venice. I'm sure some of them would have worked for items that were listed. Love your bee! He looks strong and capable of miracles. They are such important creatures when you think of all that they are responsible for doing. They keep the rest of us going. I'm glad they survived in Paris too. Keeping them on rooftops of cities is a great idea. More cities should follow that idea.

Jo, thanks so much. Good idea for rain. I should have sketched out my window at any part of the day yesterday since it rained all day...but I was too lazy. Sketching birds is not easy. I did some chickens today but they were in an enclosure so it made it much easier. lol
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2019, 05:24 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

4 - feathers - watercolors and ink
Attached Images

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2019, 10:43 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Pine Cone, Thanks. I like the bee and the story. Very cute drawing, never saw a Hallmark lamp with a bee.

Joan, you are right about your trip and sketches. They were beautiful and tell such a story, saw them on your blog. These chickens and turkey are super. Fun...

I sketched in the travel sketchbook with a Prismacolor 03.

Number 4, leather - shoes
Number 5, together - folks in waiting room

Winston Churchill
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2019, 06:04 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Jeroen - wonderful job on the guitar. What songs can you play?

Jo - awww lovely!! A wipe off? What do you use to accomplish that? Why does it not surprise me that Gene has rain gauges - more than one! Aha yes waiting room people

Joan - yay tulips! Wonderful colours inside that peony. Great job doing that turkey. How long did it stand still and model for you?

PC - happy little bee
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2019, 11:55 AM
A WC! Legend
Cumbria

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi all .......Oooh warra lorra busy bees y'ave been...🤗
PC, what a sweet lil bug, and such a cool colourful bee 👍🏼
Jeroen, well done on the geetar, hope the playing of it comes along just as well 👍🏼
Jo, good work on the rain gauges, sweet birds, and wow, beautiful work on those trees, love it😀 Neat leather shoes, and good work on the waiting room peeps.
Joan, lovely flowers, I especially love that peony. Beautiful chooks, the turkey is a handsome soul.🦃

I have done a couple of sketches, but am away from home at the mo. Hope to upload in a couple a days time...

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2019, 08:54 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan T
your bee . . . . looks strong and capable of miracles. They are such important creatures when you think of all that they are responsible for doing. They keep the rest of us going. I'm glad they survived in Paris too. Keeping them on rooftops of cities is a great idea. More cities should follow that idea.
Joan — Thanks so much and I hope that your idea turns into reality! They're such amazing benefactors 😊

🐝 🏡 🐝 🏫 🐝
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2019, 08:56 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Joan again — Your chickens look so vibrant! They look curious and celebratory 🎉

Jo — Thanks! Comfy shoes and wonderful sense of the folks you sketched!

EP and Scatty — Thanks, and safe journeys!

Last edited by Pine Cone : 05-08-2019 at 09:00 PM.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2019, 09:13 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

item #3 - "together"

sketch of part of a stack of books by some of my teachers

World Meditation Day is nearly here. We'll be together in spirit in a beneficial effort that encircles our little globe.

This sketch doesn't include the names and authors of my meditation-practice books because I'm offering them as simple placeholders for all the teachers from all over the world, and all times in history, that have helped us by sharing their compassion and insight with those around them.

I painted the covers with colors that I hoped would convey a little bit of the range and depth of emotion, failure and effort, fears and hopes, longing and despair, discouragement and joy, determination and sorrow, that these placeholders represent, and that all of us, together, experience at times throughout our lives.

On World Meditation Day, I'll do what I've done every day for years which is to offer up to the Universe any crumb of my spiritual merit that might be available to clear the karmic debt of an individual who's been spreading a brutal lie about me in my community. (This is from a Pema Chödrön teaching on Shantideva.) It's recently gotten easier to make this daily offer to the Universe because now I'm paying forward Joe's forbearance when I transgressed against him here in one of my worst behaviors of my entire life. I'm grateful for the opportunity to pay Joe's compassion and encouragement forward with joy.

I also do daily tonglen meditations (also taught by Pema Chödrön) for myself and all targets of lies. How this works is on the in-breath you take in the suffering of all parties involved in difficulties similar to yours throughout the world (thus acknowledging their suffering and helping to bear their burden). Then, on the out-breath, you send compassion and courage (or whatever you think might be needed) to ease the suffering of all involved throughout the world.

If you've heard of World Meditation Day and are thinking of starting a meditation practice, your practice may begin as a gentle and peaceful form of stress relief. And if you want, it can also become part of your willingness to give deeply and beneficially to all life everywhere, and ease suffering.

Tools:

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil

Procreate app (old version) for the sketch, background, partial downsize, border, and export.

Process:

Virtual acrylic on virtual panel.

Freehand, no drafting tools or tracing, digital or otherwise.

No grid or smoothing or symmetry or cloning, digital or otherwise.

No filters or effects. No color intensification or exaggeration.

References located a few feet away.

Last edited by Pine Cone : 05-08-2019 at 09:37 PM.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2019, 10:21 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Jo, thanks!

EP, luckily the turkey was in an enclosure. He was back and forth a lot...I just waited patiently and he would come back.

Kat, thank you!!

Pine Cone, the chickens were fun to draw but not too cooperative. I like your sketch of the meditation books!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2019, 10:23 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

5 - in a row - watercolors and ink
Attached Images

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2019, 09:37 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Wowza ... Welcome back Joan. beautiful chicken and the tree by the lake, botanical flowers are glorious.

Jo: Love your ink line, and the pastel practice are always amazing to my eyes... I hope Gene recovered from the previous fall. Take care.

PineCone: Wow you are on the roll. Love your books.. and the cute bee.

I have not painted or drawn much lately due to career burn out and my minor injury. I am slowly recovering from my right shoulder tendonitis (due to my push-up mishap) and today I had a brief physical therapy on it. I manage to get back to my beloved watercolor... yeah .

Painting is my soul. My blog.

Last edited by Eye : 05-09-2019 at 09:43 AM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2019, 09:40 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

#1 beautiful ... orchids in watercolor & pencil (drawn from plastic flowers at the local cafe decoration)

#2 musical ... baby Lily (9 years old) was taking her piano lesson at home (watercolor & pencil)

Painting is my soul. My blog.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2019, 10:26 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

EP, you are right. Gene has many gadgets, more in my sketch today.

Scatty, thanks.

PC, thanks so much. Your books and sentiments are so touching. Hope your Meditation Day was peaceful and joyful.

Joan, thank you. The trees in a row make a perfect picnic spot. That is a lovely sketch!

Ai, thanks. Your flowers are so lovely. Lily is growing right along, thanks for sharing her with us. Nice sketch. Gene is doing well. Yesterday, we had the pre-op for his surgery on the 14th. We are anxious to see the results this time. Hope it is like last time.

Forgot to add my sketches. In the travel sketchbook with the Prismacolor 03 fine line marker/pen.
Number 6 doorway
Number 7 silver key - Gene's key with two knives??

Winston Churchill

Last edited by Jo Castillo : 05-09-2019 at 10:42 AM.