WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2019, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States
Re: Quick Dry Café - May 2019

I am often impressed by others' work but I don't want anyone to think that I am trying to copy (steal) anyone else's ideas. (Most the time it's impossible to tell what I'm attempting anyway!)

I don't know how to paint or draw without having it known which artists are driving my hand though. Is that common or am I a complete fraud? Since researching the Abstract artists I was referred to I have taken some of their ideas but then, when I've been to art shows of Picasso or the Impressionists it's clear they are all inspired by each other.

The only difference I feel is I feel a huge amount of buried emotion that comes exposed when I put it into a painting. Since coming back to WetCanvas a few months ago, it's helped me climb out of a dark place and puts my energy into more positive direction. I guess I'd be crushed if someone tried to implicate me in theft. (I am super conscious of intellectual property as I used to write articles online for a certain condition. Recently a book has been released with exact quotes from my work without any attribution to me as its rightful author.)

Sheila
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2019, 04:08 PM
Immortalized
Buckeye living with the Gators

Hails from United States

My home state was devastated by tornadoes last night!!! Heard from family members and they are OK but some are without power, water needs to be boiled and there is debris every where. A lot of roads are blocked so getting around takes some planning. I am surprised there were not more people injured from all the flying objects.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2019, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

We're under a tornado watch now. I live in the middle of the city surrounded by big buildings so I'm assuming I'm safe. Tornadoes look terrifying!
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2019, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I've a question....

I'm attempting to paint a zebra from the photo gallery. I already have many of these zebras around me that I've done in inks but, with acrylics it's trickier!

I'd like to do the photo a bit darker, as if it were dusk but I'm not quite sure what effect dusk would have on a reflection on the water. I've made the water a more intense blue. I'll be doing rocks in the background for the next month or so- I want to pace myself and do details. (I love detail work in inks so now I need to slow myself down in acrylics!) There is no visible source of light. The underpainting is quite dark in purples and blues. (I'd love to do a reflection of the moon in the water!) (Yes, I'm into cooler pictures. I do like yellows and oranges but reds are not a particular favorite!)

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Sheila
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2019, 02:53 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Glad all are safe Patti - worrying when you are so far away from the family.

Sheila - I'm sure you'd not make a direct copy, but even that's legitimate as long as you acknowledge the debt to the artist and don't sell or exhibit the piece - comes under fair use and education.

Most artists are influenced by others somewhere along the line - those who like realism are almost bound to be influenced by the Masters!.... and we study master painters for all genre, so when there's someone you like, there's no harm in trying to achieve similar effects - how you then use them, absorb them, is what counts.
'They' always maintained that Raphael was eclectic, selecting those elements he admired of the other Renaissance artists ....... so you'd be in good company!

For changing your zebra ref - the water always reflects the sky and the surroundings - in the dark, it will be darker (obviously!) with highlights of whatever colours any light in the work has.. if you're seeing visible rocks etc there must be some ambient light, even if not direct...

..... just my thoughts!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2019, 09:55 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

I hope everyone stays safe. We don't live in an area that really gets tornadoes but I still have nightmares about them.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2019, 12:28 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

The news this a.m. said four mid-west states affected - with LOTS of storms! .... hope people are safe.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2019, 05:12 PM
WC! Guide
the state of confusion, Florida...

Hails from United States

Betty will be 8 months old in 3 days. So glad I have her. She keeps me laughing.
"The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2019, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum

Sheila - I'm sure you'd not make a direct copy, but even that's legitimate as long as you acknowledge the debt to the artist and don't sell or exhibit the piece - comes under fair use and education.

Most artists are influenced by others somewhere along the line - those who like realism are almost bound to be influenced by the Masters!.... and we study master painters for all genre, so when there's someone you like, there's no harm in trying to achieve similar effects - how you then use them, absorb them, is what counts.
'They' always maintained that Raphael was eclectic, selecting those elements he admired of the other Renaissance artists ....... so you'd be in good company!

For changing your zebra ref - the water always reflects the sky and the surroundings - in the dark, it will be darker (obviously!) with highlights of whatever colours any light in the work has.. if you're seeing visible rocks etc there must be some ambient light, even if not direct...

..... just my thoughts!

Thanks MAureen!
Right now I'm looking at the started canvas or board. It appears dirty to me but mostly because it's in that state where it looks horrible and has no saving grace at all.

I've discovered the joys of tracing paper and carbon. (I actually remember it from typewriters pre- word processors!) I have a different idea how I would like the zebra to be approaching the water. While I can easily sketch that I'm less confident in getting the reflection done well. I guess that's why we call it practice?

But I'm not allowing myself to pick up a brush until the laundry is done. Housework has taken a back step and I cannot allow that to fall behind or all will be seeing my own behind!

It's been so hot, sticky, and stormy my migraines are acting up. I end up needing to sleep and dreaming about pizza and things I'm not allowed to eat!

Thank you!
Sheila
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2019, 10:36 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Carbon paper is not good under acrylic, if that's what you're doing. It's oily. But you can get graphite paper.

I had some frustration this week. Long story short, I managed to switch my router and modem power cords around. The router would not work and I spent hours trying to figure it out. (The lights were on but no one was home lol) Tech support at the internet company suggested trading my modem, which is rented, for a modem and router in one. That's when I noticed the cords were switched. Glad to have my wifi back. Son and I had to take turns connecting our computers to the modem.

Howard, give Betty a hug for me.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2019, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderFrost
Carbon paper is not good under acrylic, if that's what you're doing. It's oily. But you can get graphite paper.

Howard, give Betty a hug for me.

Thanks Michelle! It looks like carbon paper but I got it through Blick for this purpose. Currently it's in a flat box under the bed (too long for the microwave!) and I don't have the exact name. It was offered in several colors. Now with the current piece I'm working on I wish I had gotten a package in white too. One of the YouTube artists I watch makes her own with soft pastels. I may try this as I have many pastels- even some beloved ones of Terry Ludwig that he sent me when he was just getting started. (One is heart shaped! I love it!)

Sheila