WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2019, 08:39 PM
Enthusiast
Montana

Hails from United States
Re: 'Round the Campfire ~ May

Thanks Jenna ... it was truly spectacular -

Hud
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2019, 11:57 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Richard, happy you tried the restaurant and got a photo, nice to see you.

Sharon, so nice to find your post here. Blue Pony is so wonderful. I like the shapes and the fineness of the feather.

Hey, Jenna. Marshmallows sound great. Mmmmm.

Hud that is an early sunrise. Beautiful.

Things here about normal. Back and forth to Austin. Gene and I are doing well, battery goes in on Wednesday so we can keep our New Mexico trip in place. Yay! He is a bit more tired this time but he is committed and determined. He does miss riding his trike but will get back on it in a few weeks. No painting for a while. I did sketch from the bull riding the other day on TV will post that when I get a snapshot.

I think I'll get some Hershey's so we can make smores ... never had any, ha.
Winston Churchill
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2019, 05:27 AM
Enthusiast
Montana

Hails from United States

Jo: Glad you like the Sunrise -

Yes, it is early - I do not sleep much since the death of my wife, so I am in my studio between 1:00am and 2:00am working on my paintings - Had a 6' x 7' North by Northeast window installed in my studio so I could watch the Sun come up every morning ... I never tire of that event - I so look forward to each and every new day -

Give Gene my best and take care -

Hud
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2019, 12:34 AM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hello everyone! I'm bringing a birthday cake to the campfire because I just became an aunt for the 10th time. My oldest brother and his wife just had their sixth baby today - they now have three boys and three girls. So have a yummy piece of cake and help me celebrate!

Hi Hud. It makes me sad that you don't sleep much since you lost your wife. Yours must have truly been a deep bond of friendship and love. Sunrises are, indeed, breathtaking. Every one is a gift.

Hi Jo. I am so happy to hear you and Gene will be able to go to New Mexico. You must be so looking forward to it! I hope Gene finds more energy and continues to feel better. It sounds like he's got a lot of determination and grit, so that's great. Looking forward to seeing your bull sketch. I'm all for those s'mores!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 12:03 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

Aspen man, I love that T-shirt.

For some reason, my computer is saving my pictures in odd places, and it takes me forever to find them. Here are some photos of my latest WIPs.

The crow is in the final finishing stage. The tail is in another material so the colors don't match. The mountain sheep ram has a long way to go but I am doing his head first because of the difficulty of the curly horns.

Legs not attached:

The horns are harder than they seem:

The teeth are made of little pieces of a toothpick.

Last edited by Use Her Name : 05-22-2019 at 12:07 PM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 03:18 PM
Enthusiast
Montana

Hails from United States

Katy: Super work ... I am so impressed with your sculpting -

Your Ram is stunning and the Crow reminds of the poem by Poe, "The Raven" -

Hud
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 05:57 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldglory
Katy: Super work ... I am so impressed with your sculpting -

Your Ram is stunning and the Crow reminds of the poem by Poe, "The Raven" -

Thanks Hud, I was surprised at all the differences between ravens and crows. This is definitely a crow. My main goal here was figuring out how to make decent wings/feathers. Would love to do some raptors-- I am thinking (since doing the tail) that I am going to take the wings off and make them more 3 dimensional. This was just a dry run.

Even the differences between a desert bighorn sheep and a Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep can't be overlooked.

Speaking of Poe, here is an eerie poem about crows by David John Mowers (Jun 2016):

King Crow

His army perched above in trees,
Watching the front become a feast,
Who wins, care not, in the least?

"The cawing clan of Koronos..."

The thousands black they view the fight,
Staying late for supper -feeding at night...
Picking tender morsels in illumed moon-light,

"Swarthy minions of King Koronos!"

Corvid follow Man wherever he may go,
Feathery tomes of knowledge their treasure trove,
The messengers in the House of Jove...

"His static barbizon Aves; Koronos!"

There are many kings who come and go,
Becoming part and parcel in a wicked show,
But none of them will ever match the Crow...

"Engrosser of the dead; Koronos!"

I forgot to tell everyone, the white boxer dog has about 40 people interested in either fostering or becoming the new owners. She'll get a good home.

Last edited by Use Her Name : 05-22-2019 at 06:05 PM.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 06:48 PM
Enthusiast
Montana

Hails from United States

Katy: Yes, that is an eerie poem for sure -

I think your feather work is exceptional; and making the wings three dimensional would certainly raise the bar considerably -

I have both the Crow and Raven here - There is certainly a difference between them ... even their call is noticeably different - Too, we have the Rocky Mountain Bighorn sheep here in Montana ... they get quite large - An older Ram's curl is most impressive; and watching them duke-it-out on a mountainside is something to watch -

I hope you do a raptor ... I would like to see it when you finish - I have quite a number of Hawks, Eagles and Owls that visit my property each year ... I just love watching them - Extraordinary birds -

Again, great work and thanks for sharing ... along with the poem -

Hud
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 08:08 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Lovely pieces, Katy, wow! That's good news about the white boxer.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 09:39 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi Katy. Your crow and mountain sheep are absolutely stunning! You do such incredible work. I am so thrilled that the white boxer has many people looking to adopt her. She's onto a much better life than what she had before you rescued her. And wow - that is a spooky poem! Pretty captivating too.

Hello Hud, Kay, Jo, Maria, and all the rest around here! We got flowers today and will be planting them soon. Looking forward to that. Otherwise, not much is new. Have a great evening!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2019, 10:38 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Katy, love the sculptures. You have a great touch. Thanks for sharing, fun to see how you work.

Hi to all the rest. We got the last of the surgeries done and are in recovery mode. Battery will be turned on June 12 so the end is near. Hmmm, that sounds ominous, the beginning of new mobility is near. :-)

The cake was great Jenna. We had pizza last night with lots left over for you guys to share. Campfire pizza?? Who knew?

The bulls in the PBR are great athletes, too. These are sketched from TV. In my large coffee table book with a Micron 02 fine line marker/pen. Freehand as always. Gene's brother was a bull rider 30 years ago or more. What a difference in the bulls, riders and money earned.
Winston Churchill
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2019, 10:49 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Such animation with both the crow and ram - certainly are very professionaly done - WOW!
http://painterofthesouthwest.blogspot.com/
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2019, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

Katy: Impressive sculptures, the crow is just incredible with all the feather detail.

Jo: Love the bull/ bull rider sketches. It has been so many years since I've been to a rodeo. I barrel raced a bit as a teenager and we always went to the Sheridan, WY rodeo every year.

I took a week "off" after the art show, absolutely did not touch any of the artwork but I'm ready to start again. Not sure yet if I will start something new or pull one of my unfinished pieces I need to revisit. Summer temperatures have arrived here in KY so I am going to have lots of inside A/C time. The heat and humidity here has always been an issue for me and the older I get the less tolerance I have.

I miss doing the art shows I used to do when I lived in MT ... do any of you have plans for shows coming up this summer?
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2019, 11:37 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Sharon, we haven't been to rodeos either. It was fun back when I took part. I was a barrel racer, too. Boy it is sure different now. I watch the PBR and usually the national finals on TV and that is about it. Thanks.
Winston Churchill
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2019, 10:40 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Hey everyone and Sharon, too.
Rained this morning now sun is out for a high humidity day.

Yes, Sharon, in 3 shows now and just entered Wyoming Watercolor last night. Hope for some sales. When the economy is up, sales go down for some strange reason. But I did win best in show at one of them for a floral.

I'm an old barrel racer, too, those were the days doing rodeos. Our school mascot was/is the Sands Mustangs so we rode before every football game. One of my boyfriends was a bullrider and he had his jaw broken so that ended his fun times in the hospital.