WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2019, 10:51 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States
Re: 'Round the Campfire ~ May

Good luck with the poor dog, Katy, I wish you the best with that endeavor.

Sheila, those blossoms are lovely!

That storm missed us yesterday as we went to Ft. Worth but was cloudy and threatening skies nonetheless. Temps to be in the 60s Fri/Sat when I have to go to Abilene to do a demo on watercolor florals. Sounds like you got a good rain, Jo.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2019, 10:52 AM
Enthusiast
Montana

Hails from United States

Sheila: Beautiful Plum blossoms ... most appreciated right now ... thanks for sharing -

Yes, it was a brutal storm ... glad you were able to be at home to ride it out - I always tune in to your weather; for whatever you are having, I will be getting soon ... thus can get prepared - Swift Current's weather is the best forecast I have -

Hud
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2019, 10:02 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi Kay. Sounds like a battle of wills - studio or man cave. Maybe it's time you got yourself one of those amazing she sheds.

Hi Katy. Oh, I've always wanted a boxer - too bad I don't live nearby to help out with this one you've got. Poor girl, she sounds like she's had a miserable life so far. Sure hope you find a good, happy home for her soon so she quits causing trouble for you too.

Hi Jo. So nice you're having some cool, refreshing weather, minus the storm. I love seeing birds return in spring. We've got orioles back now, and even saw what I believe was a brown thrasher yesterday at the feeder. How beautiful! The grosbeaks are back too. Next, perhaps, the hummingbirds. Glad to hear you've been sketching!

Hi Sheila. This is a lovely photo! Slow/late springs are hard, aren't they? Our trees have been almost-leafing for about 2 weeks...just too cool for them to really burst to life. And thank you for the nice comment - I'll try and find some good photos to post soon.

Hi Hud. I sure hope you don't get battered with any more storms for awhile!

It was rainy and cool all day here, highs in the 40s. Brr. Went into town to get some things, so no studio time today. Hope you're all doing well.

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2019, 06:41 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaboo88

Hi Katy. Oh, I've always wanted a boxer - too bad I don't live nearby to help out with this one you've got. Poor girl, she sounds like she's had a miserable life so far. Sure hope you find a good, happy home for her soon so she quits causing trouble for you too.

Well Jenna, she is available and I am willing to drive to Wisconsin. She is a bit less than 2 years old. She's been handed off from one owner to another and basically ignored except as a creature to pass on to another unsuspecting fool. I feel bad about her life, but cannot have any random dogs. She gets along well with bigger dogs that like to play, is too intense and scares small dogs and cats. I am about to take her outside now because she is trying to get my Italian Greyhound to play, and the Iggy is nearly fainting in shock. She's deaf of course.

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2019, 09:10 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Katy, that is truly tempting, and very generous of you to make such an offer! It would probably not be a good situation for her here either, sadly, as we have cats inside and out, as well as my little nieces and nephews that come visit pretty often. Sure wish I could help you out. Hope the right person comes along to give her a home, for her sake and yours and your own pets!.

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2019, 06:55 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaboo88
Katy, that is truly tempting, and very generous of you to make such an offer! It would probably not be a good situation for her here either, sadly, as we have cats inside and out, as well as my little nieces and nephews that come visit pretty often. Sure wish I could help you out. Hope the right person comes along to give her a home, for her sake and yours and your own pets!.

That's true. The cats are terrified here. I do not like that they can't sit next to their mamma while I write on my computer. She needs to be in a house with at least 2-3 big dogs, that like rough play, mud, and zoomies, and someone who knows about deaf dogs. I was just jerking you around by the way. She is a good dog and will need a good home with a person who knows her special need. So far I feel lucky that she is not violent, or bitey. The rescue guy renamed her Essie, but I renamed her Maya. It doesn't matter since she can't hear her name. Her "owners" named her WEDA which in the Urban Dictionary means a ghetto white girl with tough ways. Not a good name for a dog.

About zoomies. Yesterday I started to allow that. If you have ever seen those videos of the lab animals finally released to walk on real grass, that was what it was like. The chimp finally allowed to swing after 19 years in a tiny cage. The tiger allowed to sit in a pool of water after living in a closed shed all its life. I don't want this dog, but I also do not want the mundane cruelty that happens in many backyards. So I am stuck being honest. I hate you, I love you, I hate you, I love you. Etc. Spay and neuter, people.

I am trying to teach her how life in a calm house should be. I cannot imagine what it is like for a dog (deaf) to be put in a 4X8 foot kennel at 1 year old, and then finally allowed to run without a leash at 2 years old. She has a huge amount of crazy energy she has bottled up inside of her. It comes out like a volcano, and all I can do is not freak out. It would be like being in solitary confinement, and really, she did nothing to earn that.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 10:23 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Katy, that is truly heartbreaking for her. And, yes, you're right about how so many animals are mistreated, treated with cruelty, or completely ignored in a kennel/cage all their lives. Animals are amazingly sensitive and perceptive of those around them. It's wonderful that you're looking after her until she finds the right home. We once had a relative leave their black lab mix dog with us while they were on vacation. The dog more or less lived in a tiny closet-like space where she could only spin circles in place. She was wild and energetic and hyper beyond imagination. We brought her here to our farm for a few days, and since she was getting along well with our beagle, we decided to let her run free. That dog ran and ran and ran for a couple of hours or so. By later the same day, she was mild, gentle, happy, and tired. She wasn't high-strung or crazy at all. She just needed to run off the pent-up energy. She was eventually given a home on a farm as her original family couldn't manage her energy needs in town.

Well, that was windy, but just felt like sharing it. Some dogs need so much running room and time. Anaway, I really hope you find a home for this dog soon, especially for the sake of your poor, frightened kitties. Hang in there.

On a side note, I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day, everyone! Have a great evening, all!

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 03:29 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Went to a new restaurant for breakfast which is run by Mennonites - they sure do know how to cook!!!!!!! They also know how to bake wonderful treats - I can see this is going to become a habit!

The woman in the photo is a friend of our family who came with us - she actually suggested we try the restaurant out.

http://painterofthesouthwest.blogspot.com/
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 08:23 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

I love your tee shirt, Richard!!!
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 09:58 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Kay, thanks! I get a lot of comments on that shirt. I wore it to my chiropractor the other day and had to tell him he was 1 of the 3!!!!
http://painterofthesouthwest.blogspot.com/
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 08:37 AM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

N
It's been awhile since I've visited here so glad to catch up with everyone. No big changes here but the last major event was the 2nd annual art show at our local art center. The first one was last year and the first show I have attended since my move 20 years ago from MT to KY.

I definitely enjoyed doing a show again, last May's spring show and the fall show put on by the local Artists Guild were both very enjoyable. No sales, which is actually what I expected, but enjoyed the socializing. Now that I can no longer drive (and still have a dozen horses and three house dogs to care for) I simply do not get very far away from home.

This show was an incredible improvement over their first one last year, met some very interesting people and just may have connected with another artist who is doing a number of the big shows and may be interested in carrying some of my artwork.

My latest finished piece is a return to Native American/Navajo art that I fell in love with many years ago (think 1960s) when I lived in Las Vegas. This is something I played with when I first started to think of my artwork as something more than just sketching and "Blue Pony" is the first time I've worked in this style and the first thing I've done for myself for many years.
Attached Images

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 09:21 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Richard, we have quite a few Mennonites in this area as well, but none that have restaurants that I'm aware of. I'm sure they have fantastic food! I got a big smile out of your shirt too!

Hi Sharon. Great to have you back with us! I'm glad you've enjoyed the shows you've participated in. They are so much work, but I feel like I smile for a week afterward - it's a very rewarding and inspiring experience to be around other artists and to socialize with others who love the same things you do. Your drawing is beautiful! It has just a wonderful composition, and there seems to be a lot of symbolism going on. Is it colored pencil? I'm so glad you've shared this with us!

Hello to everyone else! Hope you're all doing well. We've had just a beautiful day here. Spent a lot of it outside. Anyone else hungry for toasted marshmallows?

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2019, 09:23 AM
Enthusiast
Montana

Hails from United States

Sharon: Like your "Blue Pony" ... excellent work and great composition -

Hud
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2019, 09:30 AM
Enthusiast
Montana

Hails from United States

Good morning from Montana -

Wish to share the beautiful Sunrise this morning ... fire in the sky - Looking out my studio window -

Wishing everyone a great day - Hud

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2019, 11:59 AM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

That is breathtaking, Hud! Wow! A wonderful way to greet a new day. Thanks for sharing.