WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2019, 12:25 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States
'Round the Campfire ~ May

Happy May, everyone! I don't know about you all, but this is one of my favorite times of year. I love the birdsong of spring, the greenery beginning to grow back, and trees opening leaves. It's a great time of year! We're only in the 40s today, with some rain, so it's not quite summery-feeling yet. I was going to post a photo or two that I took the other day, but upon looking at them, I realized that it's not quite that beautiful outside just yet...the photos are only so-so.

Hope you're all off to a creative May so far! I'm headed to my studio. Have a great day, everyone!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2019, 03:17 PM
Enthusiast
Montana

Hails from United States
Re: 'Round the Campfire ~ May

Yes, Spring is here - Even though it was 15 degrees this morning and we still have snow on the ground from this past weekend's storm, I can hear all the songbirds singing and buds are on the trees -

Have been cleaning up from the storm damage ... it was a brutal one ... packing powerful winds and blizzard conditions ... total white-out for an entire day - Just got our power back ... been running my own power plant to keep things going ... a very handy piece of equipment in this country -

Hope everyone's May is a great one ... take care and be safe -

Hud
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2019, 05:09 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I hit 79 this month we were going to take another trip to Sedona, but my wife has a chance to participate in 2 weeks of specialized yoga sessions so we are going to go to Santa Fe NM for 2 weeks in September. 2 weeks of yoga training for her and 2 weeks of plein air for me ------ yahoo! We'll do Sedona next year for my 80th.
http://painterofthesouthwest.blogspot.com/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2019, 09:19 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Hi, Jenna, thanks for getting us up and going here. Enjoy your good weather and taking photos ... and studio time.

Hud, you have had your hands full with winter. I complain but we really have nothing to complain about! We got some rain this morning. Wettest May in years is predicted.

Richard, Happy Birthday! Maybe we'll see you in Santa Fe this year.

We are rushing through Gene's surgery and radiation hoping to be done to leave for NM on July 10. Back and forth to Austin every day for the radiation. We are excited for Gene to get his second DBS so he will be walking better and able to do "stuff". The radiation is doing it's thing and is not hard on him. That is a great thing. So even though we are busy it is the right thing to be doing and positive. So don't feel bad for us, all is good.

Spring is beautiful here.... Take care all....
Winston Churchill
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2019, 09:26 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Jo, we will be in Santa Fe during September for two weeks this year.
http://painterofthesouthwest.blogspot.com/
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2019, 01:57 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Sunny and a little cool here in New Mexico. We did buy a lot on one of the golf courses so met with the builder yesterday to accept the plans for an adobe style house. It has no studio so I'm not thrilled but have to act happy. Texas did get rain yesterday at home there.

Happy birthday Richard this month and your plans sound exciting. I know you'll be ready to get to Santa Fe later on this year.

Jo, it sounds like Gene's treatments are going well, so continued prayers for him.

Hello Hud and hope you thaw out there soon. Seems like 15 degrees is a heat wave probably after all your very cold temps this winter.

Hi Jenna! Enjoy your spring as well! Always a delight to see songbirds flitting about.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2019, 04:53 PM
Enthusiast
Montana

Hails from United States

Jo: Yes, it has been a Winter ... one that will occupy conversations for a while ... but as always, it could have been worse - So, I do not complain to the storm gods in case they are listening -

Pleased to hear about Gene's progress ... on that front ... my best goes out to the both of you -

Kay: Am thawing out considerably ... 15 degrees is 50 to 60 degrees warmer than it was in February and first part of March - Old Man Winter wants to hang around for a bit longer, but he is losing the fight ... Spring is making its charge ... I like it -

Take care all and be safe -

Hud
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2019, 01:35 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hud, 15 degrees in May sounds like misery. How do you do it? Hang in there. I hope your weather warms up soon, with no more blizzards until next winter.

Hi Richard. Those two weeks in Santa Fe sound blissful for you both! Happy birthday!

Hi Jo. It's great to hear the good news about Gene! Very thankful he's doing so well, and will continue to keep him in my prayers. Really hoping you're able to go to New Mexico and enjoy yourselves! After all the doctoring, you both must be ready to get away from it all for awhile.

Hi Kay. Congratulations on the new property! I hope you find a studio space on your plans somewhere. Hard that you don't get a room devoted to your art, though. That's a bummer.

Hello to everyone! Had 5 of my nieces and nephews here the last couple of days, so all I have for snacks to share are Fruity Pebble Bars. They are delicious though. We're in the 70s today, yay! Might try to do something outside later and enjoy the weather. Happy creating!

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2019, 04:18 PM
Enthusiast
Montana

Hails from United States

Jenna: It is called "hunkering down" -

Hud
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2019, 08:46 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldglory
Jenna: It is called "hunkering down" -

Hud

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2019, 10:07 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

The blueprints do show a study so maybe a little space in there will work, although my DH wants to make it a man cave.

Leaving shortly to return to Texas where it is to be 84 today. Sunny and no wind here in Alto; monsoon season starts the end of June here I think.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2019, 10:27 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

Hi All. What I found in last month's travels, viewing, and thinking, is that I want to go a bit more "modernistic" and not be so strictly bound by realism. I have made some more decisions about the clay I use, and other technical things.

In other news: We have a small rental house next door. The tenants were evicted after non-payment of bills and rent for several months. They trashed the rental; holes in walls, doors, the cabinets in the kitchen ruined, and of course, trash left everywhere. They also left behind a special needs (DEAF) white boxer dog who they have basically kept in a poop-filled kennel for the entire time she has been alive. We now have her in the house, clean and warm. It was simple enough to find a rescue that would take her-- these idiots never even tried. We have to wait 15 days until we can legally take possession as "abandoned property."

This dog is totally a blank slate. She knows nothing. I am trying to teach her "calmness indoors" because she is hyper-excited about every new thing she encounters. (I would be too if my whole world was a small cage for a year).

She has a lot of rough edges, but I see her as trainable. I have no experience with "bully breeds" but I will just work on "calmness" and "waiting" and "watching the owner for cues." Sadly, I can't wait to get rid of her, (right now she breaks everything) but while she is here I will do the best I can.

I will probably take her up to Albuquerque when I am going to Santa Fe to pick up and deliver my latest art. (2 more bison, and possibly a bird, if I can get the bird sculpted and molded by the pick-up date ).

It really looks like this is how it will go: They will pick up every 5 weeks, so really, I work for 5 weeks, then deliver (rinse and repeat) on a regular schedule.

Last edited by Use Her Name : 05-05-2019 at 10:33 AM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2019, 10:40 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Kay, always fun to decorate and divide your new place. Congratulations, it is so beautiful there.

Katy, the Santa Fe delivery and pickup sounds great. Wishing you the best with that. Animals are difficult and rescue ones have such problems. Hope you can get the dog to ABQ. Happy sculpting!!

Cloudy but cool here this morning. Windows and doors open. It's a bit damp but we don't get many mornings this time of year for the porch and open windows. Soon be toooooo hot. Sketched on the porch.

Off later for our daily drive to Austin. Guess it will be routine and I will do better at managing my off time. Gene is still riding his trike but I haven't been on my stationary one. I usually do that while he rides, but I was sketching yesterday. Shame.... Both are important but the physical exercise helps rest the brain and re-energize same.

Happy art times to you all. The birds were out, too. Saw a hawk, scissortail, cardinals, swallows and some other .. maybe finches. Noisy out, ha.
Winston Churchill
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2019, 09:01 PM
A Local Legend
Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada

Hails from Canada

Just showing a picture of a plum tree flowering out this time of year 2 years ago. It has been so cold this spring, that the trees are just starting to bud out. Everything is a little behind this year.

Happy Birthday Richard!!

Hud, the storm that you had, I had that two days before you! And yes it was brutal!! I didn't have to work, so was very happy to stay home.

Jenna, never say your pictures are "so so". I'd like to see your part of the world.

Jo, good to hear about Gene's progress. Still sending prayers your way.

Horse lovers are "stable" people
My Website http://www.freewebs.com/sheilastienley/index.htm
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2019, 10:32 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Sheila, wow, such beautiful blooms. Thanks for sharing and happy you are getting spring..

We had rain/thunderstorms this afternoon. We spent the dangerous time in the garage at the baseball field, waited about an hour then the game was cancelled. Drove home after the worst had passed. We had almost an inch of rain here at the house.
Winston Churchill