WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2019, 07:31 AM
A WC! Legend
Auchtermuchty Fife Scotland

Hails from Scotland
Re: MAY 2019 Different Strokes Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
It's a great challenge Jim - and thanks for posting it
I agree, life adds so much to landscape painting - can I send people to John Constable, for example? - he often included 'life' in his works ........just search for him, lots of links but the colour on many reproductions is not good!

Western Art is anotherís excellent source of this kind of picture. In reality it is just 'life' on earth, limited only by your imagination.
Jim
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2019, 08:18 AM
Enthusiast
Adelaide area South Australia

Hails from Australia

Jime - Thanks for the challenge... I certainly will be challenged...but hey, will give it a go as usual. cheers.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2019, 10:18 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

I started looking through my reference photos yesterday, most don't really have anything happening in them. I guess that's the way I like it lol. But I have many more photos to look through.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2019, 10:21 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaskip
Hopefully we might all learn something from it. Mostly it is to add interest to what can sometimes appear to be an unfinished painting. You really canít get away with calling a bunch of buildings a Farm. Put in a Tractor, even just the back end of one sticking out of a barn. Little brown black and white blobs and you have 'chooks' fluffy white blobs for sheep. Hang some laundry on a line, shows there are People about. Now you have a Farm. Not really difficult. I think they call it 'dressing the set' in the Film and Theatrical industry.
Jim

Just to be clear, are you saying there don't have to be people, just signs of people doing things?

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2019, 10:56 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderFrost
Just to be clear, are you saying there don't have to be people, just signs of people doing things?

Preferably people, even in the distance. But more importantly signs of life. How often do you see paintings of a house, door closed, windows shut, chimneys cold. Without any signs of life. An open Door/window maybe a curtain poking out. A bike leaning against the wall. Smoke from the chimney, even washing (laundry) on the line. I suppose itís the difference between what is 'art' and what is reality. In Art all the trees in the forest are straight trunked and healthy. In reality, some are dead, broken branches on the ground, lots of fallen leaves.
Hope this heals.
Jim
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2019, 10:59 AM

Maybe I'll give this a shot! A landscape should be a good challenge for me because I don't normally paint them.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2019, 11:34 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Scotland

Last month I was commissioned to paint something that happened not far from a friends house. I painted the site first. Nice little land scape
See next post
Name:  D6385C26-D9FE-4161-8857-FFA7DD9F4175.jpeg
Views: 115
Size:  190.2 KB
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2019, 11:36 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Scotland

Finished painting as per commissioner's instructions
Name:  74F820F0-A231-40FB-A343-0A129B6D7567.jpeg
Size:  170.4 KB
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2019, 11:39 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Scotland

I liked the original landscape, but thought it looked a bit like 'Armageddon' so I painted it again and put in a more pastoral scene.
Note the Croft, smoke and washing on the line.
Jim
Name:  40565308-D3EC-436F-BA3C-71667104478C.jpeg
Size:  157.8 KB

Last edited by vegaskip : 05-02-2019 at 11:42 AM.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2019, 01:09 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

On a trip to Ireland my dad's brother showed us where they used to dig the peat for their turf fires in Ireland. This spot could be it exactly: a low- lying area between rocky hill ridges that collected the water in a bog.

But where are the sheep?

Are those wee houses up on the rocks? I don't recall seeing many dwellings in such exposed high places. It seems to me the homes would snuggle at the foot of the ridges. Out of the low-lying bog to avoid excessive damp but not too far up those windy exposed crags.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2019, 01:51 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinS
On a trip to Ireland my dad's brother showed us where they used to dig the peat for their turf fires in Ireland. This spot could be it exactly: a low- lying area between rocky hill ridges that collected the water in a bog.

But where are the sheep?

Are those wee houses up on the rocks? I don't recall seeing many dwellings in such exposed high places. It seems to me the homes would snuggle at the foot of the ridges. Out of the low-lying bog to avoid excessive damp but not too far up those windy exposed crags.

No sheep. Have you never heard of the 'Clearances!'A Grouse Moor now, for the absent English Land lords. The houses 'up on the 'rocks' is snow in the gullies, some,the year round. And the Croft is on the only raised dry ground for miles.
The diggers are Estate workers and Ghillies, and most of the Peats will be for 'The Big House ' and the Shooting guests.
Jim
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2019, 10:09 PM

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaskip
No sheep. Have you never heard of the 'Clearances!'A Grouse Moor now, for the absent English Land lords. The houses 'up on the 'rocks' is snow in the gullies, some,the year round. And the Croft is on the only raised dry ground for miles.
The diggers are Estate workers and Ghillies, and most of the Peats will be for 'The Big House ' and the Shooting guests.
Jim

Much of Canada was built by crofters thrown off their land, and "Canadian Gaelic" survived as a spoken language in parts of Nova Scotia until very recently. So yes, we learn about the Clearances in elementary school.

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2019, 03:13 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Scotland

Quote:
Much of Canada was built by crofters thrown off their land, and "Canadian Gaelic" survived as a spoken language in parts of Nova Scotia until very recently. So yes, we learn about the Clearances in elementary school.

Well there you are. A suggestion for the challenge. Instead of the diggers, a Donkey cart with the family and their meagre possessions piled on it. In the distance a bay with an Emigrant ship waiting. Perfect!
Anyway enough suggestions. Itís up to you all. Basically 'A Living Landscape'.
Jim
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2019, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:

Colin, when I was a wee one we spent summers with my father's family in Ireland. The rest of the year we were around my mother's family from another part of Ireland and between the 2 I knew a fair amount of Gaelic. Now I remember prayers and swears!

Anyway, when I was living in Northern Maine there was a guy married to a woman who was the friend of a friend. The guy had a nasty drinking problem and maybe some dementia. Anyway, he'd go off on a tangent and most assumed it was some made up language from days of old. But I definitely caught a few Gaelic swears in there. A lot of northern Maine is populated by Canadians and this guy was from Nova Scotia. After laughing at the first swear I quickly learned he was a mean old b*stard drunk or demented. Until this day I had never heard of Canadian Gaelic though!

Sheila
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2019, 07:10 PM

Hails from Canada

My parents immigrated to Canada from Donegal, Ireland, which includes one of the remaining Gaeltacht areas of Ireland. They had to learn Gaelic in school, but weren't good students. On a trip back to Ireland a few years ago my cousin was driving us around the Donegal Gaeltacht and we got lost. We spotted a "local" walking along the road so she stopped the car and began asking him, in Gaelic, where we were and how we could get to our destination.

"I'm so sorry," he replied in a most plummy accent. "I'm from England, actually, and I'm afraid I can't speak any Irish at aaaaawl".