WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2019, 10:00 AM

what can mix in2 acrylic paint in order to apply with knives and scrappers any1???

Am thinking about applying acrylic paint via various tools like anything from a plastic credit card to a putty knife and flat cake frosting pallet knife type of things as am bit anal in making sure it applied even and smooth and this way i can have direct manipulation and control of paint any ridge can be sanded out...
have used brushes many a long years but get very distressed at brush marks only way to get no brush marks along side using flotrol and apply paint on flat service not vertical at easel and use maybe oil based paint and sable brush good and or pouring screen printing..all methods do work to a degree but u can't work large with brush they don't do massive genuine sable brushes which i like and screen printing is a bummer as you are constanly fussing over registration marks etc et but thinking about a different approach to what ive tinkered with thus far

so the only way to be able to tinker with the paint directly hands on wet on wet im feeling to move toward knifes etc as said above BUT don't know what you mix into paint to give it more bulk to suit those types of tools and don't know if i am alone in hating some of the acrylic stuff like that out there on market as it end up looking like plastic...waffle waffle any takers?

Last edited by tidal : 04-21-2019 at 10:07 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2019, 12:32 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States
Re: what can mix in2 acrylic paint in order to apply with knives and scrappers any1???

You could mix white or colored gesso into acrylics for more body.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2019, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Re: what can mix in2 acrylic paint in order to apply with knives and scrappers any1???

Acrylic GEL Medium is used to thicken it for this kind of impasto. BTW, there are several kinds of that these days, some with other substances mixed in to add to the texture or lustre. Look at the Liquitex line of Acrylic Gel Mediums: http://www.liquitex.com/us/products/...s/?tab=see-all
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2019, 03:25 PM

yeah have tried a liquitex gel just didn't gel with me..oops sorry for the terrible pun ..didn;t like it too plastic like ..might try the gesso but thinking to experiment with non art related medium and not the stuff that is targeted to the art market etc think i might try to experiment with other things thanks though i will try these things you mention out as well
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2019, 08:20 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

You can mix practically anything into acrylic paint that isn't oil based. Try dirt. Try sand. Try putty, spackle, joint compound, flour, salt, ground glass, the list goes on!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2019, 05:42 PM
A Local Legend
Chattanooga, Tenn

Hails from United States

I like modeling paste best.
C&C always welcome
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2019, 11:42 AM
A Local Legend
Charles City, Iowa

Hails from United States

I use heavy bodied paint out of the tube and apply with a knife without any problem. What paint are you using?

If it is a viscosity issue, you can bulk up to some extent by adding sand, marble dust, vermiculite, modelling paste, and so on. But that will alter your colours some. You can treat your acrylics in the same fashion that one does with oils that are too long for knife work. Set the paints out ahead of time on something absorbent and let the water wick away and evaporate.

With oils you don't need to do anything just let it go until it is the consistency you want, either thick enough for impasto strokes as the Dutch painters did, or all the way to pigment and paint with just spirits (Peinture a L'essence) which is what Edgar Degas did to make oils more like his pastel work. With acrylics, it takes a bit more on hand time. You will need to keep the paint mixed so a skin doesn't form a skin. You will end up with a very pasty paint that holds the colour intensity. But you will have to work very quickly. The more vigorous you move it about, the faster it will begin to set.

Andew

“What a genius, that Picasso. It is a pity he doesn't paint.” - Marc Chagall
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2019, 12:35 PM
Immortalized

I've used knives for years and only use acrylics plus a little medium. I've never had problems, maybe it's the brand of paint you're using. Do you live in a very humid or very dry climate cos that can affect things differently as well

laf-art.com | Prints | FB
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2019, 11:25 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Scotland

If you want to keep the translucency of certain pigments then one of the gel mediums would be best. Different brands have different textures. Matt gels are less shiny and might suit you better. If you are using opaque pigments marble dust will thicken up the paint but as has already been said, a good quality heavy body paint should work for using with scrapers or painting knives.

From Prayer Before Birth by Louis Macneice.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 03:58 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Scotland

I just re-read this post and I am wondering if you might have better results by using acrylic ink and a sponge brush or roller. As you mentioned you would need to work flat. You could also try acrylic gouache, which has already been suggested, like Pebeo Mat Pub, or ordinary gouache or casein paint.

From Prayer Before Birth by Louis Macneice.