Home Forums Explore Media Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials open discussion..share what is your favourite substrate for mixed media and why

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    tidal

Hi as This is the mixed media section it would be interesting to hear what your’e likes and dislikes are about different substrates you have used for your art I thought this would be interesting as I am at a kind of loss as to what to use ..usualy in the past i have done stuff on thick paper but I like pretty much abuse said paper putting many layers of different media on there and even cutting through it sometimes …wood is good as it takes the abuse BUT so many other issues with wood as(u never get rid of raised grain even if following correct steps to get rid of it unless you put a million layers of paint on it ie on your ground level ..so wondered if anyone knew any paper out there that can deal with this level of treatment lol apparently it has to be sized? need to resist buckling etc etc…and also not to highjack the thread am also interested in your experinces dabblings and what you have used liked etc etc

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

Probably for me the best is to use 300 lb Saunders Waterford watercolor cold press paper. The 140 lb is just too thin.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

tidal

interesting…do you use only watercolor paint on it?

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

Any watermedia or mixed media works.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Cyndi L

I also like watercolor paper, but I usually use 140 lb cold press. If the piece gets too heavy, or I want to sell it, I mount it raw edged on a wood panel (cradled). Kay does a lot more heavy watermedia than I do, so I can see why she would prefer the 300 lb. I also use masonite panels for acrylic pouring, but I might try Kay’s idea!

ladypainter

For my mixed media I like to work on wood like old cupboard doors from Habitat Recycle . They are already framed.:) and inexpensive. Also like working on canvas sometimes but it cant take as much as the wood.

Elinor:wave:
                    "keep your own time tickin"

Andrew

Either hardboard or Multimedia Artboards[/URL]. I can abuse the crap out of them without warping, buckling, or tearing.

Andrew

"Never ascribe to malice what adequately can be explained as stupidity"
                        - Robert J. Hanlon

“What a genius, that Picasso. It is a pity he doesn't paint.” - Marc Chagall

graphicali

Heavy watercolour paper or cradled wood panels for me.

"I am not yet born; provide me, with water to dandle me, grass to grow for me, trees to talk to me, sky to sing to me, birds and a white light in the back of my mind to guide me." From Prayer Before Birth by Louis Macneice.
                            maryinasia

Watercolor paper

vhere

watercolour paper (heavy), mount card, sanded paper, the paper designed for oils/acrylics, hardboard/mdf, those multimedia boards I tried recently and liked .. . all sorts!

Eraethil

Wood panels or stone paper for me. The stone paper is basically acrylic with calcium carbonate, so if you are looking to use it with traditional water media approaches, you’ll need to add an absorbent ground. But because it is relatively nonabsorbent it doesn’t buckle.

[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Century Gothic]Comments and critique actively sought and much appreciated! [/SIZE][/B]
                                        Rick. . . [/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. .[/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic] . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR]pigment storm fine art[FONT=Century Gothic] . . . watch the paint flow![/SIZE]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.