WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2019, 10:03 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States
Re: 'Round the Campfire ~ April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Castillo
Katy, good for you on the meeting and contacts. My cousin used a foundry in Amarillo. He had a small cow with 7 calves bronzed and it was $2000. Distance vs cost??? Exciting for you to be getting stuff done! Applause.

Yes, bronze costs a lot.

I'm getting mine cast in Aluminium, a really high-grade casting. I had been thinking of resin, but many art shows will not take resin, and I intend to show. Aluminum can also be patinaed to look just like bronze if I wish, and also it is half as expensive and three times as light.

I hope your husband gets through his procedures. Of course, we are praying for his fast recovery and your future joy.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2019, 11:23 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Yes, praying for Gene, all of us.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:15 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Thank you all on behalf of Gene and I.

Katy, sounds like a neat idea (the aluminum) never heard of that. A sculptor friend of ours will be in Texas from Italy on the 28th. She does stone and bronze. I will try to remember to talk to her about it. She has a wordy blog full of advice and much info. Kelly Borsheim if you care to look her up. She is amazing.
Winston Churchill
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2019, 12:47 PM
A Local Legend
southeast Wyoming

Hails from United States

Hi to everyone, miss talking with you all!

Jo- prayers and best wishes for both Gene and you

I have been working my tail off in my day job. Not creating much art other than occasional quick sketch. I did save a few photos that Hud supplied in monthly challenge that I would like to paint asap ...so hopefully..

We here in southeast Wyo and Nebraska panhandle have been hit hard with blizzards the past few weeks. Winter just wont seem to go away.... But I have started to hear the calls of the western meadowlark songbird, one of my favorite sounds....summer is coming.....they say...haha

Anyway, I thought I should stop by and say a quick howdy.....
Later....

Come join us in the Southwest/Western forum
My art blog
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2019, 08:18 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Howdy Ron!

Yes winter won't let go. Yesterday we had a cold front come in with thunderstorm, lightning, hail, and rain. At least we got moisture of nearly 2" and temps dipping to 35 during the night. So I hurriedly moved plants back inside again. But the mesquite trees are blooming so that's a good sign.
Tomorrow is tax day. We had to pay 33K. Awful!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2019, 09:13 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Hi Ron, I've been hearing from my cousin in Walden, CO, lots of snow and cold. Pretty close to you. Brrr. Stay safe. Hugs to your wonderful family and happy painting when you have a minute. Gene says hi and thanks.

Kay, we got about 1/2 inch out of that storm. We had been near 90 for a few days and the cold front got me to turn on the heat again.

This guy was fishing out back after the rainy day.... Pretty morning.

One of our spring signs.

Winston Churchill
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2019, 10:44 AM
Enthusiast
Montana

Hails from United States

Good morning from Montana ... a fine Spring day it is -

Jo: Thanks for the beautiful Spring photographs ... a spirit lifter for sure -

Speaking of Spring folks, I just returned from my morning run along the river and it is full of geese and ducks ... more are coming every day now... along with the song birds - As you say Ron, nothing beats the lyrical music of the Western Meadow Lark ... they were really singing ... what a great serenade for my run this morning - Also, rousted up a band of Antelope ... I really enjoy watching them run across the prairie ... can they ever move - Spring in Montana has arrived full tilt ... what a glorious time of the year -

I do hope everyone is having an enjoyable Spring, in spite of the storms that are occurring down South ... wishing you a safe time of it -

Take care -

Hud
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2019, 09:59 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

You live in such a pretty spot, Jo, thanks for the lovely pix.

That sounds promising, Hud, to see and hear the birds out and about.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2019, 10:54 AM
A Local Legend
Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi everyone ! It's been awhile since I was here last. I popped in a few times just to see what you were all up too, but was too busy, & not in the mood to type out my day. I would have sounded depressed & sad. My life was on hold since mid December. Not in a creative mood at all. I think I mentioned before that my sister was fighting cancer & was in a long term care home. Sadly she died on April 8th, at age 53. I went to see her everyday, & in the last week of her life, I stayed all day & night. (I wasn't alone, there was other family to help out too)
So now I'm thinking its time for me again & trying to get my groove back. Winter is over, Spring is here! It's 42°F right now. I know for some of you that sounds chilly, but I'm lovin' it! Sure beats 40 below.

Jo, my best wishes for you & Gene. That kind of surgery sounds scary.

I'll be back at the camp fire now more often. No more potty breaks, one can get lost out there.

Horse lovers are "stable" people
My Website http://www.freewebs.com/sheilastienley/index.htm
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2019, 01:05 PM
Enthusiast
Montana

Hails from United States

Sheila: My thoughts and deepest heart felt feelings are with you over the loss of your sister ... take care of yourself -

Hud
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2019, 04:27 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone. Nice to see so many here, chatting and catching up. We had a good thunderstorm (and plenty of rain) yesterday, but all is well for the most part. Good weather to stay in the house and create. I'm working on a sculpture commission at the moment. I'm hoping to start a new scratchboard soon. They are quite relaxing to work on in the evenings.

Hi Hud. It's great to see those fair-weather creatures returning, isn't it? So happy you're getting warm spring weather, along with its many beautiful sights and sounds.

Hi Katy. Aluminum sounds like a really interesting medium! Nice that you can get the same patinaed look to it as you can with the bronze.

Hi Kay. We, too, got a good soaking of rain last night. About an inch and three quarters. We didn't really need it after all the snow melt and runoff...but you know what they say about April showers.

Hi Jo. You have such lovely photos! It sure looks like a beautiful place to live. I continue to pray for both Gene and you. Hoping things are going smoothly.

Hi Ron. So great to see you back here. Sure sounds like you've been swamped with work and hard weather. I hope you're able to return to creating art soon. I hope you and yours are all doing well!

Hi Sheila. I am so sorry to hear that your sister has passed on. It can be so impossible to lose anyone, especially one so young, and one you were so close to. Take care of yourself. :groupghug: I hope your art can become a part of your routine again, as it can be very healing. Don't be a stranger.

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2019, 12:52 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Sheila, ahh, so sorry about your sister. Wishing you the best in your art to help along the way. Hugs.

I painted today in La Grange. Nothing great but I was out in the fresh air having a good time. Cloudy and cool in the am downtown at the courthouse. Afternoon on a hill overlooking the city and about blew away. Painted holding my easel with the left hand, finally quit and looked for a spot out of the wind and sketched a bit. Enjoyed visiting with the other artists, wine and cheese at a gallery and lunch and dinner together. Off at 8 am again tomorrow. Back soon I hope.
Winston Churchill
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2019, 12:42 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Happy Easter everybody!! Here's a pretty purple finch that's been gracing the birdfeeder the past week or so. They are such a delicate, soft blush of red color, very pretty. The colors seem perfect for this day.

Hope you're all able to enjoy the day, have fun out in the spring sunshine, spend time with family, paint, or do whatever else you love to do today. It's a simple, quiet day here, which is ok with me. Just making some turkey and pie and so on. May spend time up at the pond later, which should be fun.

Hi Jo. Sounds like a fun time at La Grange, aside from the wind. It's always fun to chat with fellow artists.

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2019, 04:25 PM
Enthusiast
Montana

Hails from United States

Jenna: Beautiful Purple Finch ... great shot - Ours have not arrived yet ... looking forward to their arrival ... thanks for sharing this early photograph -

Hud
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2019, 12:14 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Jenna, lovely photograph, spring is here.

Plein air was fun and met some new artists from other parts of Texas and Louisiana. I'm worn out! We had our Texas kiddos on Sunday, Gene cooked brisket. Good times.

Here is a photo from the 9-E ranch in Smithville.

Winston Churchill