WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2019, 12:22 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States
'Round the Campfire ~ April

Happy April everyone! It amazes me to see the snow that we were completely buried by is now almost completely gone. It could not have melted more smoothly or gently. A perfect spring so far. Considering the robins I'm hearing, the bright yellow plumage growing in on the male finches, and the haze of tiny buds of a few trees, I'm beginning to hope it might truly be spring. Sure hope so!

Sorry for starting this thread late. Did not feel well at all yesterday, and today's still iffy (my headache trouble), so this is a bit short. Anyway, who wants a nice slice of white cake and some hot coffee or cocoa?

Hope you're all off to a creative start to April!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2019, 04:44 AM
Enthusiast
Montana

Hails from United States
Re: 'Round the Campfire ~ April

Jenna: Sorry to hear about your headache situation ... wishing you a speedy "get-rid-of-it"

Yes, I think Spring is finally arriving ... the Geese are coming in large flights now, some Song birds are following and the Crocus are pushing up ... life is good

Wishing all a wonderful Spring ... take care and be safe

Hud
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2019, 09:36 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Hi Jenna and Hud!

We woke up to April in Alto, NM to a 4 inch snow. So pretty! The elk were out for a stroll. I'll use one of those pix next time I host, which is soon. But yesterday here in Texas it was 77 F. and is to get warmer each day with cool nights. We need rain really badly.

Jenna, be sure and take/check your blood pressure re those headaches.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2019, 08:16 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

Hi all, I'm going to a meeting with the Dallas chapter of the National Sculpture Society next week. Can't wait. I'm working on trying to do a lot more networking than I have in the past.

Oh, last week, I also applied for a passport book so I can travel a lot more extensively.

Last edited by Use Her Name : 04-06-2019 at 08:36 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2019, 10:48 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Katy, that sounds like a very good plan. Networking has paid big dividends to me over the years.

Well, we had 83 F. yesterday and a bad heavy thunderstorm hit at 3:20 a.m. so we got 1/4" rain. Not much but better than nothing.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2019, 09:51 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone!

Hi Hud. Thanks for the kind words. I'm so happy you're seeing those signs of spring. Our pond is almost completely free of ice, and it certainly feels great to be back up there in nature.

Hi Kay. You sure see a lot of major temperature swings. Those elk must be quite beautiful to see up close. Thanks for the warning - my blood pressure is steady and good...it's been checked countless times with my headache doctoring over the past 15+ years. I appreciate your concern.

Hi Katy. That sounds so exciting! I hope you have a great time!

Hello to everyone else! I hope you're having a great weekend. I've got fresh coffee and donuts to share.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 01:32 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Happy that spring is finally coming. It has been nice here. We had rain storms yesterday and this morning, about 2 inches of rain. Nice for the yard and lakes/ponds. The heat is coming this week, though. Should be up to 90 on Thursday. Yikes.

Hud, Crocus blooms sound lovely. We've had the Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrush.

Kay, Elk are so majestic to see. I have a photo someplace of some resting on a porch in Angel Fire. Need to find that for the Challenge.

Katy, have fun with the Sculpture Society. Good for you for getting out and pushing forward.

Jenna, hope you find the cure for the headaches and you feel better. Thanks for the donuts!!
Winston Churchill
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2019, 10:38 AM
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

Thanks, Jo, Jenna, Kay, Hud,

As it turns out, the news about me driving from Clovis to Dallas got around, and a pretty well known regional sculptor here who also belongs to the NSS, goes to the Dallas meetings too and asked me if I wanted to ride-share. I said yes, of course. A 6-hour chat with a well-established sculptor is really what I need. He said he'd fill me in on all the art action in the area as well.

Connection #1 made.

I really would like the passport because I feel better hand delivering the waxes to the foundry so I can give explicit (or is the word "implicit," I forget) instructions. Although I do not know much Spanish, I know their foundry manager speaks great English. (I also really want to get better at Spanish, so total immersion, here I come.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2019, 07:13 AM
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

Well, I've come back from my trip to Dallas. I got a lot of great tips and hints about materials and modernizing my sculpture, and I guess I will be casting in Loveland Colorado anyway. Wow! Dallas is beautiful! I felt like I had gone to Misourii. We hit the great plains caprock, and drove through a huge sand storm all the way back.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2019, 11:10 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

That had to be yesterday's wind/sand storm you drove thru, Katy. Temp here was 93 F. But today back in the 60s. So glad your trip was a good one.

Saturday severe thunderstorms with hail and high winds are to happen. That's the day I'm to drive to Abilene 2 hours away and do a floral watercolor demo. I think tomorrow I'll call the contact person and see if she will reschedule. I'm very wary of storms...temp Saturday is to be 47 with a low of 36.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2019, 09:23 AM
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeK
That had to be yesterday's wind/sand storm you drove thru, Katy. Temp here was 93 F. But today back in the 60s.

That was the wind/dust storm. Out between Littlefield/Muleshoe, there were accidents, and the cars were detoured out to some unnamed country road. it looked like the planet Tatooine. My GPS did not work either. I have to scrap that and buy another because I am going up to Santa Fe in about 15 days to deliver a big bronze to a Loveland Colorado foundry. They have a pick-up driver come down to Santa Fe to pick up the waxes or molds of about 100 sculptors. I didn't know about it until I went to the meeting. I will still have my passport, but I will probably only use the Mexican Foundry when I cast in Bronze. Cost is still a major problem for me.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2019, 09:57 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Katy, good for you on the meeting and contacts. My cousin used a foundry in Amarillo. He had a small cow with 7 calves bronzed and it was $2000. Distance vs cost??? Exciting for you to be getting stuff done! Applause.

Kay, storms are always a problem. When we lived in Lubbock I loved watching them come across the plains with the lightening and big dust clouds in the front. Very scary to be driving or out working.

So you guys stay safe on the roads and we will try to ourselves. Gene is having some radiation for a past prostate operation and we will be going back and forth to Austin everyday for about 8 or 9 weeks. They think that will take care of it. He will also have his second DBS, deep brain stimulation on May 14. Don't want to be depressing, just wanted you to know if I'm not around for drawing/painting. The outcomes are so positive. The first DBS has his left side all working fine so he is looking forward to this one for his right side.

I'm still planning to participate in the plein air event here on the 18th - 20th. They will paint mornings and afternoons so I will probably just do the afternoons. Should be fun. It is put on by the Outdoor Painters http://www.outdoorpainterssociety.com

Back when I can be. All y'all take care.
Winston Churchill
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2019, 10:44 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Jo, prayers for Gene.
http://painterofthesouthwest.blogspot.com/
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2019, 01:49 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hello everyone. Hope you're all doing well. Tomorrow, we're off to Junk Bonanza once again - can't wait to go!

Hi Jo. Thanks for your very kind comments. I'll be praying for Gene that his upcoming medical procedures will all be successful and help him out. Will be thinking of you both.

Hi Katy. It sure sounds like your trip to Dallas was inspiring and adventurous. So glad you're making those needed connections and getting to know the area's art "beats".

Hi Kay. I hope you've survived the storm. We had a thunderstorm yesterday in the midst of near-blizzard conditions. It was unique, and now we have several inches of snow to melt off yet again. Bummer, we were so close to spring too!

Hello to Richard, Hud, Ron (anyone hearing from him lately?) and all the rest! I've gotten a couple of sketches done for the Monthly Challenge...I'll be posting them soon.

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2019, 02:13 PM
Enthusiast
Montana

Hails from United States

Jo: My best to Gene ... you take care -

Hud