WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2019, 10:21 AM

Drawing Illustrations

Hello Everyone,

I am not from art background but I LOVE painting and drawing illustrations.
My question here is regarding illustrations...I draw basic illustrations of me and my husband to express an event or incident of the day..
I am trying to get better with my illustrations and looking for advise on how to draw:
- more realistic looking drawings..more flowy with the body and expression
- I still want to continue doing cartoony style but get better

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuxnbGggZ9o/ is the kind of artwork that I would love to be able to draw

You could have a look at my drawings here :
https://www.instagram.com/unspokentales.richi/

Thanks a lot in advance!!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2019, 12:23 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States
Re: Drawing Illustrations

Holy cow, I just wrote you an extensive reply to your post and it went into the twilight zone. Here we go again!
I have viewed both the drawings you want to be able to create and also the drawings (cartoons) you have already created. Always remember that cartoons are important creations. I have a few suggestions: First get yourself a 6x6 spiral sketch book, a 2B pencil, (I use a mechanical pencil) a .5mm lead pencil, and a carpenter's pencil that you'll need to sharpen with a pocket knife. Include a soft, white small eraser. Begin sketching both cartoon figures and then include a small still life-- oranges, apples maybe, coffee cup, etc. Do this over and over again with new subjects. Begin to sketch lightly. Next FILL IN SHADOWS. None of these sketches are to be painted. You may wish to indicate light source direction and/or make written notes. Create these fast as you can. Later, you can return to the original sketch and recreate it with more detail. Carry your sketch book and pencils with you at all times. My guess is that it will become a new best friend. My other guess is that you already have the abilities you need, you just need to sharpen your skill set more. At some later date, you may wish to return to your sketch book as a sort of fertile ground for painted characters. My last guess is that after you redraw your selected character (with plans to paint it), you'll also wish to include painted shadow detail. At that time, you will have achieved the creation you wanted in the first place.
Good luck,
MS
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2019, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
W Ontario

Hails from Canada

Take some life drawing classes. They may not seem to have a connection to what you would like to do but they would really help you to get to where you wanna go to. First of all it will help you draw more loosely. Then it will help you see how you can further your journey to making cartoons. All cartoonists do some sort of life drawings to enhance their drawing skills and not just doodle every chance you get. 😉
If you ask around or look around, you can probably find little to no cost life drawing classes for your needs. Also the schedules are usually pretty flexible too. Things you may need: Don't give up enthusiasm even if you feel not up to par, some conte sticks, some black carbon sticks, various drawing pencils,a large clip pad and a news print pad. Other bonus things is up to you.

Also you may wanna check this guy out. http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/
He is very good at the example of real life drawings to imaginary worlds too.

Last edited by Snow_tabby : 05-01-2019 at 06:32 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:51 AM

Thank you so much !!!!
I recently also started practicing with the book by Andrew Loomis called "Fun with a Pencil" and loving it
Are there any art books you would recommend?
I am also looking to start life drawing classes