WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2019, 01:33 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Scavenger Hunt #580 17 March - 25 March

Hi, Joe, thanks. I find the art discussions interesting, too.

Joan what a great outing. Love the ducks, probably one of the last things I would eat. Evil grin. Ring dings sound and look delicious. How fun to find an art area in the food stands. Super, super sketches.

I sketched in the big book while reviewing on TV the ball game I listened to on the internet last night.

Number 11, smooth - the coasters have glass over the painting.
Numbe4 12, flute - small burned in the fire so lost its painted decorations
Number 13, nail - fingernails

Winston Churchill
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2019, 02:18 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Scatty — Thanks so much! That's a poignant collection of beach stones from your mum ✨ and your sketches are clever and pleasing — I think the wine cork might be my fav. Thanks for the pics too 😊

Jo — Hey Cool coasters! Excellent sketch of your hand and I'm sorry your flute got damaged 🤕

Joan — Lovely sketches and my fav has to be the Art Corner!!! So cool 🐾 🌿 I agree about the captive dolphins
---> Pieces..... (both freehand, Procreate app)
"Be generous with your joy. Give away what you most want. Be generous with your insights and delights." (Pema Chödrön)
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2019, 03:29 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfletch
PC, I think we are using "understand" in different ways. When I look at fine art I believe it should either make me feel something. If I look at it and do not feel any thing than I say I do not understand it. As i say that I suddenly realize I was wrong earlier as I do want an emotional response to my art even if I do not create it with emotion. (Hope that makes sense.) But back to 'understanding', I think a better way to say it might be that I do not understand what the artist wanted to achieve. I have seen a few abstracts that elicit a feeling but using Pollack again, his work looks more like an old drop cloth than art. By the same token most of what you post here has an abstract feel to it and I love it. The "river rock" stirred a fond memory for me. It has an abstract feel/look/style to it but I "understood" it i.e. it made me feel I have seen beautiful realistic drawings and paintings that I also did not "understand". I might have marveled at the technique but that is not the same. My appreciation of art and my creation of it obviously follow different paths.
Thanks for expanding on your thoughts. Meaningful!

Interesting juxtaposition of various aspects of art viewership.

[pause to reread...]

As I read your reply above, I think we're very similar in what we want from viewing any painting or work of art.

But you've raised a question in my mind. I'm recalling an artist (a realistic painter) who said that when she starts to paint, she objectifies whatever she is portraying so that she can "do it correctly" (focus on technique, perhaps) but then when she's done, she can go back to enjoying the subject as well as her result (perhaps enjoyment = emotion). What is your reaction after you're done with a piece? In other words, done with the sort of "engineering" aspect. Can you look at your own work later with appreciation and/or pleasure (which, to me, are forms of emotion)?

Quote:
I want to say thanks for the compliments however I should add I was a Systems Engineer designing weapon systems which many may not consider beneficial.
I remember you mentioning this at some point in the past. Thank you again for your service. Little by little, maybe our species is learning cooperation: the Olympics, the International Space Station, various relief efforts, etc. But it's an excruciatingly slow process. I'm grateful for the adequate defenses that protect at least some people, as we all try and figure out how best to get along together. It takes time to change and grow and learn how to cooperate. And none of us knows if we'll ever get to the point where we can coexist without any need for protection. We don't even know if we'll survive at all. But for right now, we each still have a continuing journey in front of us. Perhaps your work bought each of us a little more time. Again, thank you.

Quote:
Agree that imbalance can create tension and interest, but that also leads to the type of abstract that (will not use understand ) does nothing for me for instance a small red cube in corner of a white canvas. *yawn*
While you were yawning, I had to smile 😊 I understand your comment about a specific painting, the small red cube in the corner of a white canvas. But I completely disgree that my 6"x36" canvases or slender gessobords "lead to [that] type of abstract." No way. If a person chooses to paint something along those lines, it is an individual making that choice, same as you or me making our choices. In my opinion, the canvas doesn't lead to it. It doesn't hold that power.

In fact, what few paintings I've seen along those lines (and granted, I don't get out much ) were either square or more traditional ratios such as multiples of 8:10, etc. And the canvas didn't make them do it either, in my opinion.

Here's an abstract: the full 6"x36" canvas, plus two details. I know you and many others may find nothing in it to like, and that's certainly okay. Plus it's horribly photographed by my iPad with no post-processing. But I'm posting it to prove that a 6x36 canvas can be filled by something other than a tiny cube in one color and a background in another, not that there's anything wrong with painting serene white vistas with single colorful cubes.

And no matter what is painted on one of these canvases, the canvas didn't make the artist do it. This hopefully proves that individual artistic choice is what causes one thing to appear on a canvas and not something else.

Quote:
Love these discussions with you. You make me think about art.
Ditto. Thank you for speakng with me. It's wonderful to learn your perspective on art, and even on language! I learn so much from you

Tools:

Non-virtual artists' acrylics.

Non-virtual 6" x 36" gallery-wrapped canvas.

Process:

Freehand, no drafting tools or tracing.

No grid or smoothing or symmetry or cloning or projection.

No digital filters or effects. No digital color intensification or exaggeration.

No reference.
"Be generous with your joy. Give away what you most want. Be generous with your insights and delights." (Pema Chödrön)

Last edited by Pine Cone : 03-24-2019 at 03:34 PM.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2019, 05:37 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Joe, I restrained myself with all those treats at the Flea Market and only had lunch ( pork bao) and then a beer later while we were doing our "show and tell."

Jo, thanks. I sat by the ring dings for so long and kept reading the different flavors. Luckily I was able to resist because so many of them had chocolate on them and I gave that up for Lent. lol I like your coasters and the little flute.

Pine Cone, thanks. I thought it was so nice that someone thought of having a place for the kids to have fun so they are a little more cooperative in that setting. I'd be happy sitting there and coloring with crayons. Thanks for posting a few of the pieces in the dimensions you were talking about. I like things that are different ratios...they seem to intensify the subject for us. These are lovely. I have done a few sketches in a tall, narrow format and liked the way they looked. because I do mostly landscapes I do more panoramic sizes if I'm doing something different. The landscapes just lead to that.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2019, 06:03 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan T
I'd be happy sitting there and coloring with crayons.
Me too!!! May I join you?

Quote:
Thanks for posting a few of the pieces in the dimensions you were talking about. I like things that are different ratios...they seem to intensify the subject for us.
Thanks so much. I didn't mean to mislead though. Those three pics are all of the same single painting. The top one is the whole painting, and the larger two are details from that same painting. The iPad didn't take consistent pics and without my computer, I couldn't correct. So the pics are awful. Sorry.

Quote:
I have done a few sketches in a tall, narrow format and liked the way they looked. because I do mostly landscapes I do more panoramic sizes if I'm doing something different. The landscapes just lead to that.
I'd love to see one of those tall sketches if you have anything handy. You know, even before this ratio discussion started, your still life back in post #34 brought ratios to my mind. Even though it wasn't physically cropped, the main painting itself seemed maybe compressed vertically and extended horizontally. At any rate, it felt so welcoming somehow. I remember thinking how effective it was, as well as beautiful.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2019, 03:22 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Joe — Thanks for a fun and fascinating event, and for going to the Moon with me! 😄 🎨
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2019, 07:57 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Pine Cone - when I said this..Quote:
Agree that imbalance can create tension and interest, but that also leads to the type of abstract that (will not use understand ) does nothing for me for instance a small red cube in corner of a white canvas. *yawn*

I did not mean the format lead to that type painting. What I meant was talking about “imbalance” made me think of the “little cube in the corner” style abstract. I take back some of what I said about abstracts like Pollack as it does make me feel something...what a waste of paint and canvas

I like the painting you posted above. My first reaction was to the flames crawling up the image. Like the warm flame was trying to consume the cool background. Seemed pretty violent and then I thought about what I know of you and looked again and thought of a cracking campfire on a cool starless night. Very peaceful. Relaxng. Either way I like it as I felt something and neither may be what you wanted. But I like it.

Joe
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2019, 09:09 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Pine Cone, you asked what we feel when we see our paintings later. It is funny when I see old paintings in real life, like at my sister's, I sometimes don't recognize it as my painting. It is sort of when I'm done, I'm done, type of feeling. Maybe that is why I don't mind wiping off the old pastels and having a do over, after all, I have the photos. Interesting. I like your flames, tree, sunshine, beautiful colors. Yummy.

Thanks, Joe, for the Hunt. See all y'all on the next one. Cheerio...

(Reminds me when our kids were little I would say, Cheerio, and they would answer, "Cheerio, Rice Crispies and Post Toasties" Now I imagine no one knows that Post Toasties are corn flakes. Smiling.)
Winston Churchill
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2019, 10:49 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Jo — Thanks, and I love what you said about your paintings, how you experience them later. Funny Cheerio story 😊 Anything with the word "cheer" in it makes me smile 😍
Joe and Jo — As we continue working through these conversations, I feel like maybe I'm getting closer to understanding you both better. Thank you for persevering.

On purpose, I omitted the title from my painting above. Thank you for sharing how you each experienced it.

------------------

To me, all of life (which for me includes the entire Universe), exists in multiple layers, dimensions, and complexities. To me, everyone and everything is far more than their surface may suggest. I try to somehow allow several aspects of whatever is appearing in one of my paintings to show through somehow.

------------------

So my hope is that with any of my paintings, a viewer will at least have the chance to see it from the experiences they've had during their life (without reference to mine). After all, if a viewer sees a painting of a tall horse running in a field, they may remember playing with a pony in a neighbor's field years ago. Another viewer may remember a bad fall and be glad they never dared ride again. But I doubt any would feel obligated to find out the artist's history with horses or to experience the artist's history as they view the horse painting. No. They would initially bring their own experiences and memories to the painting, and go from there.

-------------------

Caveat: I hate my iPad's photos. Since as far as I know, it doesn't shoot RAW format, it was apparently altering the image with algorithms designed to "help"

So apparently it looked at the images and swung them away from the real pixels and off in a different direction It did that on all three, and the second one was damaged the worst of all.

And both of you saw flames there. JoC, I'm sorry if the image brought back bad memories. As much as I cherish different people having the chance to see different things in my abstracts, I never anticipated that potential interpretation. I wouldn't have posted it if that had occurred to me.

I think they have apps to fix photos that the iPad screws up, but too late now
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2019, 11:24 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Hi everyone ...You all did fantastic sketches Sorry for being absent. ... works are rolling in too much ...Anyway, tonight I did these before the Hunt ends...

#1 Veggies

#2 feather -- part of a peacock tail ... done with CP

Painting is my soul. My blog.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2019, 02:37 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

PC, flames never bring bad memories. I find more comfort in fireplace or campfire flames. I really like watching a fire in these situations. Hugs.

Ai, ooooh, beautiful peacock feather and nice quick veggie sketches.

Thanks, Joe, for this Hunt, see ya on the next one.
Winston Churchill
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2019, 05:58 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Ai — Love the sweeping lines of the veggies *swoosh!* and the peacock feather is beautifully colored and so delicate, wow!

JoC — Thank you for your kind thoughts and forgiving spirit *hug*
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2019, 08:07 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Jo and PineCone ... Thanks for your kind words.

Joe: Thanks for hosting this Hunt. See you all at the next Hunt here.

Painting is my soul. My blog.