WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2019, 09:49 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Scavenger Hunt #580 17 March - 25 March

Pine Cone - another rainy night. Not 1 star.

Joe
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2019, 02:13 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Everyone — Had a very bad day Tuesday. Back later to comment today or tomorrow.

Joe no..... It often seems to me as I look at all the amazing artwork here and on Wet Canvas in general, that everyone except me creates their work effortlessly. Nobody struggles. It all comes out beautifully and effortlessly... because usually we see a final result and know nothing of the creation. So I occasionally try to share something of how difficult the process can be, at least for me, in case that might encourage anyone else, including anyone lurking.

As for the middle ground, that is something I think about all the time, not just when I'm working on something.

-----> Running errands: thinking about painting differently/better.
-----> Doing chores: thinking about painting...
-----> Painting: wanting to find that middle ground and not being able to quite find my way to that path..........

I'm not saying I'm unhappy with what I've done; just that some of the things I aspire to seem, from my current perspective, to be beyond my reach.

Here are a couple of examples from Wet Canvas artists who seem (from my pont of view) to live effortlessly in the middle ground:

HollyJ26

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1429592

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1420509

crispur2005

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1461120

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1446353
---> Pieces..... (both freehand, Procreate app)
"Be generous with your joy. Give away what you most want. Be generous with your insights and delights." (Pema Chödrön)
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2019, 01:31 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Scavenger Hunt #580 17 March - 25 Ma

Ahh, my turn to misread/misinterpret. I took your post to mean you were not happy with the results. We all struggle, that is part of creating. That is basically what I read in the quote from Robin that I have in signature line. The struggle is the ‘getting over yourself’ part. We all struggle and sometimes get over it and sometimes get in our own way. I am saying we because the few artist I have ever talked with about creating all had similar views, so welcome to the club.

4 juicy = tomato Another idea ‘borrowed’ from EP
Done with multiple grades of graphite in a 8.5x5.5 inch sketch book. Not really finished as the paper is too rough to get the smooth slick texture on the skin I wanted. So far 2.5 hrs ...so far.

Keep sketching
Joe
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2019, 04:52 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Tried posting last night but I had no luck. Hope this goes through.

Joe - Thank you. Sorry the weather is keeping the moon out of view for you. I saw it this morning when I was doing my very early morning 6:30 walk with friends. Love that graphite sketch of the pliers.Your shading is impressive. Nice juicy looking tomato you've got there. Up here we just have the hothouse tomatoes and they aren't even worth looking at for me. lol

Jo, the cherubs showed up just in time! Nice still life and I'm glad you had a large bird to sketch.

Pine Cone, thanks so much! That looks awesome!!! I love the halo around the moon. You have more than enough detail...besides they always tell artists to squint to get rid of some of the detail. You had a point that we only see the end result of each person's art and don't really know if they struggled to get that result or if it came easy. Most of us never say one way or the other.

EP, the shamrock tights were a fun addition to the girl's outfit. Cute penguins. A friend of mine just came back from a cruise to Antartica and she sent back so many photos of the penguins she saw. They are such cute creatures.

Kat, your tomato looks yummy. Love the leaves on the sprout. Nice to see your sketches from the last hunt.

I did this still life at my painting group yesterday. Sadly the luscious tomatoes were not mine. My friend had been in Florida and brought them back with her.

5 - oblong (banana) - watercolors
6 - veg/fruit (tomato)
7 - smooth ceramic pitcher
8 - substitute for flute (bagpipe) - watercolors and ink
Attached Images

#35   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2019, 04:30 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Jo — Thanks so much! Beautiful, lyrical, windswept branches and bird Evocative photo as well 😊

Scatty — Lovely challenge veggies, vibrant and full of life - yummy! Cool sketches, all, and maybe my fav is your drawer and object. Clever and beautiful!

Joe — Beautifully drawn and shaded challenge tool sketches! Lovely work with the darkness of the handles giving us clues as to the nature of all the items. Your tomato sketch is luscious, wow, all the "coloring" so beautifully nuanced 🎼

Joan — Thanks so much, and thanks for understanding! Also love your tip instruction. I've written it up to have handy. It's too late for the item I'm about to post but there's always next time ☀️Gorgeous still life !!! I didn't realize it at first, but I love the welcoming width of it. And the colors... Again, although I didn't realize it at first, I love the green and yellow at the top of the pitcher; beautiful touches 🔆 I had no idea there was such a thing as a SPD parade 🍀 Very cool, and thanks for sharing it with us! Love the 3-color 'do
"Be generous with your joy. Give away what you most want. Be generous with your insights and delights." (Pema Chödrön)
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2019, 05:09 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Joan and Joe and anyone — About that "middle ground" I've been failing to reach. Not that it matters, but I want to clarify that even if I got there, I wouldn't stay there.

I LOVE painting abstracts as I've mentioned before. And I love participating in painting from life here. But I would also like to occasionally have the flexibility to integrate those passions. Looking back today over a few of my things, maybe sometimes I have to some extent. But there's more I'd like to be able to do...

Also, I should also clarify that my abstracts often seem to come from an abiding love of nature and the universe around us. So maybe that's a type of "middle ground" (though I've never thought of it that way).

Two examples of that last:

-----> I've spent a lot of time at beaches (including a beach somewhere near Tampa years ago Joe). So one day I was remembering the ocean, longing to walk the edge, and remembering the blinding glare of the angled Sun on the wet sand making me squint...... And I started a painting with nothing more than that in mind. I wanted to see if I could make myself squint. That's it; that's all I had to start with. I never know where a painting will go, and this one ended up with, I hope, numerous possibilities depending on the viewer. The portion that might (or might not) suggest Sun on sand was only a part of a broader whole environment. But it was such a fun (and difficult) exploration.

-----> The Curiosity rover landed on Mars one day. It was terrifying, the way they did it. Good holy grief... But it didn't bounce off the atmosphere, and it didn't crash, so, whew, and good job! At some point in the next few days, I started a painting. As usual, I had absolutely no idea — none — what I was going to paint, or where the painting would go. Zero plan. I grabbed one of my mediums, for no particular reason. Slapped some on, continued with paints and mediums until it seemed done. All with absolutely zero plan. But turning it 90 degrees, I realized that one of the things I could experience as I looked at it was Mars, from the Curiosity rover's point of view (in the future, when it reached and climbed the mountain months and years later, and drilled into it, and did its thing). In it, I can see both the outer mountain scene, and the inner mountain below the surface. But that was never on my mind as I painted.

So maybe, in some sense, those are "middle grounds" already.

Last edited by Pine Cone : 03-21-2019 at 05:15 AM.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2019, 06:04 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

item #4 - smooth

smooth surfaced dolphin pin from Goodwill shop

All my artwork feels like a brand new experiment to me. Every time I start something new it feels fresh and exhilarating. I wanted to try and express that joy.

A few days ago, somebody suggested I watch a short YouTube of some people saving a whale that was trapped by nets and on the verge of death. They freed her and in gratitude she just went absolutely WILD WITH JOY!!!!! She was leaping and doing backflips and slapping the water for an hour near their boat 😃 to say "thank you for freeing me... I'm FREE !!!!!!! I'm ALIVE !!!!!!!"

So I thought of that whale's joy when I was looking through my stuff for this event. Dolphins seem so joyful and playful to me... and that's exactly how I feel every single time I paint. I don't care if I struggle. And it may or may not turn out in a way that's pleasing to me. I don't care. Because it's always, each time, a fresh, fun, exhilarating experiment, trying something new, striving for something different... a wonderful journey with no clue where it might lead!!!!!

With this one, I can see at least five things I would like to fix, but can't right now. And I don't care. It was still gobs of fun to do!!!

Tools:

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil.

Procreate app for the sketch and partial border.

Art Studio Pro app for the crop, downsize, and export.

Process:

Virtual acrylic on virtual panel.

Freehand, no drafting tools or tracing, digital or otherwise.

No grid or smoothing or symmetry or cloning, digital or otherwise.

No digital filters or effects. No digital color intensification or exaggeration.

Reference located a few inches away.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2019, 08:53 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Joan - Sorry to hear you only get hothouse tomatoes. I still judge the tomatoes down here against the jersey tomatoes we use to get in NY I remember those and these fall short. We got good news on weather today. For first time in 9 days, rain or showers are not in the forecast. So have fingers crossed I might see moon tonight.
Those are some good looking tomatoes but I keep looking at the bananas. Beautiful piece. I keep looking at the person sitting with Irish flag colored hair and smile. Nice job.

Pine Cone - Love the dolphin! Seeing it leaping brought back lots of great memories watching dolphins leaping and riding our bow wake as we came back into port, like a welcome home party!

Have dentist appointment today to replace/repair two fillings so I doubt I will do much more than comment.

Keep sketching
Joe
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2019, 09:37 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Pine Cone, thanks for sharing your process for creating abstract. I have never been a big fan of most abstract. I always though Jackson Pollack was making fun of art critics. I have learned to understand it more after taking the drawing classes here in Drawing and Sketching forum. I went back to find the artist ‘s name who did the class but cannot find the class. She suggested those of us ‘stuck in realism’ take an object and mentally break it up drawing all, most or some of the pieces but place them randomly about the page. She also suggested using a non-standard format like tall and narrow or oblong oval to wake up the brain. Class was more intent to get you to draw an abstract than appreciate it but made me look abstract differently. But she never suggested anything, like you have, where you paint to capture the feeling of a memory. That to me makes more sense and I think I would appreciate that more. While you described the second painting as having ‘zero plan’ I think, knowing your fascination with space, you probably were thinking subconsciously of the rover.

I do find it interesting that you talk about the joy of the act of painting and basically watching what happens. (My words to describe what you said.) I do not know where or how I developed it but for me the goal in most of my art is to recreate what I see. I study and try various techniques to learn better ways to do that. I cannot think of a single time I sat down to capture a feeling. Some pieces my goal was to get a positive reaction, like a portrait I did of my son and granddaughter. My son is a much better artist than I am and my goal was for him to love it.

I guess when you come down to it I approach art with an engineer ‘s mindset. Define the goal; use most efficient method to achieve it; do it. In some cases the process is the whole thing as I explore a technique, the end result is merely a result of the process. Emotion is not typically a part of my process even if the result causes an emotional response in a viewer.

I believe you approach making art as a creative artist while I approach it as an engineer.

Thanks for making me think about the how and why.
Joe
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2019, 03:37 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Scatty, love your miniature items. the rabbit bowl is so nifty. Cool drawer and lovely sketches and colors. the still life is very inviting.

Pine Cone, interesting in the motivation to paint/sketch. I think I am more of a recorder .. I don't have a great imagination and so the Hunts give me ideas for sketching. I don't seem to paint with feeling other than to just get it on the surface. Your dolphin is amazing and beautiful.

Joe the tomato is super. Will you show us the finish?

Joan, wow! You get out and about so much. Fun sketches from the parade and the still life is great.

Joe, hope you saw the moon and have a good fix at the dentist. Your engineer comments made me smile.

I sketched while Gene had some check up scans. One in my travel sketchbook with some ink brush pens and the other on my iPhone with Brushes.

Number 9, unique - the lamp in the small waiting room was so different. Then I looked around in the big waiting room and there were 3 more. Started out unique. Not enough colors, needed yellow.
Number 10, my favorite?? I never have fish to sketch so thought I'd better try this.

Winston Churchill
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2019, 04:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Jo - thanks for kind words. ‘Finished’ tomato is below. The lamp is definitely unique but love the fish tank. Still in awe you do that on phone with finger.

Not sure you can tell from photo but paper texture is mostly gone from the skin.

Kerp sketching,
Joe
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2019, 05:21 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Joe and Jo — I want to reply better to each of you but can't right now. Hopefully later tonight or tomorrow.

But I have to take a moment right now to say to Joe that even if the weather is perfect, you don't have to sketch the sky tonight. I mean dental work? Awful. You need to recover! The sky is always there.

Plus, even when you have recovered, you shouldn't have to sketch the sky, unless the sky (NOT me) calls you to it. I want to release you from that deal. I was surprised and scared, and you encouraged me. Thank you, and nobody could ask for more!!! So rest easy, enjoy your evening in some other way, and no worries, yeah?
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2019, 07:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Pine Cone - novacain has worn off only bit inside my cheek twice 😂. But a deal is a deal. Sky is fairly clear tonight and moonrise is at 7:35 pm and sunset at 7:39 pm so possibly light enough out to draw.

Joe
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2019, 08:40 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Well forecasted moonrise was way off and cloud cover is still too heavy. Try again tomorrow night. 👍🏽
Joe
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2019, 09:27 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Pine Cone, I think sometimes we see something and it sits in our subconscious, sometimes coming out without us thinking about it. The mind is a wonderful thing. lol Looking at your dolphin makes me think about how smooth they are if you touch them. They make me smile. I have 3 nephews that surf and many times they told me about the dolphins coming near them swimming around with joy and following them around.

Joe, interesting way of analyzing your approach to art. I love when it is tomato season up here. There is nothing like a juicy, fresh, locally grown tomato...but I guess I will have to wait a while. lol

Jo, thanks. You always find such interesting things to sketch when you are out. Love the fish tank!