WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2019, 12:02 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Scavenger Hunt 579 March 9 - March17

Joe, Yes, Gene thought it was funny, too. His idea, right?

Scatty, that is a magical flower pod. Lovely. Yummy biscuit/cookie I bet. Cute bucket, looks old timey. Like the colors on the blue paper.

I sketched while waiting on Gene riding his trike. He wanted to try a bike path by the airport. It is almost 5 miles long so he got in a 10 mile ride. I sketched in the watercolor book and my multi media sketchbook with a Micron 01.

1 store - sub hotel - the airport Hilton. It is round and I regretted starting that with all the windows as they disappeared around the edges, I didn't do too well. I don't have Joan's patience. We parked in the cell phone waiting lot. As we left we went toward the airport and found they have built several stores and bathrooms for the people waiting. Nice. Austin Java (coffee), Taco place, Subway, convenience store and gas station. I could have done a real store! Sigh.... Also it was full of Uber cars. South by Southwest (SXSW) is starting and busy airport. No place for regular people to park to wait, including I used a space. Ha.

2. dashboard - part of the one on the Expedition while I was in the car anyway.

Winston Churchill
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2019, 05:45 PM
Enthusiast
Boston MA area

Hails from United States

Well so much for the beach....

1.On the shelf --- pencil

Be back for comments later supper is on the table and no way I am late for that, sorry guys

C & C Always Welcomed

Last edited by m50paul : 03-11-2019 at 05:48 PM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2019, 06:46 PM
Enthusiast
Boston MA area

Hails from United States

Robin: Nice on shelf and slippers... looks like you are getting ready for St Paddy's Day

Scatty: Nice sketches and good idea for magical... that biscuit looks good and that bucket is amazing

Jo: I think your Hilton Hotel is well done... Interesting that your Airport has a cell phone waiting area.... I just ran into one in Tampa which was the first time I saw that. nice work on the dash board.....

C & C Always Welcomed
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2019, 07:16 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

EP — Great stealth sketch of your visiting friend — so relaxed

Robin — Hiya! Comfy slippers — and love seeing your shelf items

Joan — Wow, love the grace and colors of the kayaks and surroundings. And your line sketch is brilliant as well. How do you decide between a watercolor painting or a line sketch, etc., when you're out and about?

Joe — I'm jargon-challenged so I'm going to have to answer with: Hey! Great to see you back!

Scatty — Beautiful work, all! Love the textures and nooks and crannies and shading, and the whole of each

Jo — What a fun trip to sketch! I'm impressed by your sketches as well as by Gene's 10-mile ride!

Paul — So does this mean your vaca is over? If so, welcome home! Lovely shelf. Did you build the ship yourself? It looks quite complex but you translated it well.
---> Pieces..... (both freehand, Procreate app)
"Be generous with your joy. Give away what you most want. Be generous with your insights and delights." (Pema Chödrön)
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2019, 05:31 AM
Enthusiast
Boston MA area

Hails from United States

Pine Cone: Thanks... I have returned home which I am always happy to do. Enjoy going away but love coming home.... No that ship was purchased when my son was a young boy. It is a souvenir of the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides)

2. Cd/album cover substitute MP3 player ---- pencil

C & C Always Welcomed
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2019, 07:18 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Paul — Gotta appreciate the Vacation Paradox And what a terrific souvenir of that ship. If I remember right that you live in Boston, you must feel positively drenched in history. I've never been anywhere near there, but I can imagine monuments and historical reminders being all around. Nice way to listen to music, and lovely sketch!
"Be generous with your joy. Give away what you most want. Be generous with your insights and delights." (Pema Chödrön)
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2019, 07:27 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

item #1 - magic

photons

A few days ago, I was reading in Sky and Telescope magazine (Feb., 2019) about John Goodricke and a star named Algol. And so last night, I found Algol in my sky.

But on the way to Algol, I also found a star named Mirfak. And in my Orion stargazing binoculars, Mirfak was surrounded by some amazing stars. Many of them seemed visibly blue, and the whole scene was indescribably beautiful (as usual) So I jotted down some dots to remember it! (See below.)

When I'm awed by a sight in the night sky, one thing I think about is the journey of the photons. They actually traveled from those stars, and hit my eye to be transformed by my brain into somethng visible. They aren't visible on their own, but when they enter a person's eye, our brains are able to make them into something "visible." To me, that's "magical" even though I sort of understand the science of it.

--------------------

But on top of that, there's the difference between how we think of the photons' journey, and how the photons themselves would experience it. To a tiny entity on a small planet twirling around a dwarf star (me) looking up at the sky in wonder, it took well over 500 years for those particular photons to reach Earth from Mirfak. But to the photons traveling at light speed, they left and then they were here. Instantly. So while over 500 years passed for the denizens of Earth, simultaneously, no time passed for the photons.

In Zoom, Bob Berman writes, "...something arriving as soon as it departs? Requiring no time at all?"

Blame Einstein Or just call it magic....

A Bob Berman podcast on the speed of light and time (about 2 minutes or so):

https://www.wamc.org/post/strange-universe-021019

Tools:

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil

Procreate app for the sketch and background.

Art Studio Pro app for the crop, text, borders, downsize, and export.

Process:

Virtual pastel on virtual watercolor paper.

Freehand, no drafting tools or tracing, digital or otherwise.

No grid or smoothing or symmetry or cloning, digital or otherwise.

No digital filters or effects. No digital color intensification or exaggeration.

References located well over 500 light-years away. (Each single light-year is almost 6 trillion [with a "T"] miles.)

Last edited by Pine Cone : 03-12-2019 at 07:38 AM.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2019, 09:37 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Paul, a nice bit of history in the ship. Clever sub on the CD. I'm smiling.

Pine Cone, always learning something here. Your story and podcast are interesting. Nice sketch, too.
Winston Churchill
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2019, 12:56 PM
Enthusiast
Boston MA area

Hails from United States

Pine Cone: Great Night sky and stars....Thanks.... we seem to have many common interests.... I listen to a number of Science podcasts my self e.g StarTalk Radio Show by Neil Degrasse Tyson among others...

Jo: Thanks......

C & C Always Welcomed
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2019, 08:40 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Thanks, everyone for your comments.

Pine Cone, you asked how I decide if I'm going to do a watercolor or a wc and ink or just an ink sketch. I'm not sure. I often start out with the watercolor first but sometimes it needs that little extra punch of ink lines to make it stand out more. Then there are times I just grab the pen and do the ink first and then add watercolor. I rarely leave a landscape or a building sketch without color, but I did this time...I knew I wouldn't have time for the color when I started the sketch. Maybe that's why I added so many details. lol

Robin, I love seeing your green ink sketches. Great job on the shelf with all those objects and the comfy slippers which are similar to the ones I'm posting which were a gift I got. I like slippers with a back so these haven't been worn at all.

Kat. what a lovely magical seed holder!! You gave that simple biscuit a lovely look...but that silver bucket really grabbed me!!! Fabulous!

Jo, I don't think I would attempt all those windows...too many for me. lol Good job on the dashboard. I like the idea of a waiting area for the cars...and having a rest room is brilliant!

Paul - Welcome home. Good job on Old Ironsides on the shelf. You even have a little plaque for it! Nice job on the MP3 player.

Pine Cone, thanks for the photon lesson. Your starry sky looks magical and made me smile.

4 - from a tree - brush pen and inktense pencils
5 - slippers - inktense pencils
Attached Images

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2019, 12:08 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Joan, love the pine cone! Those are some fam-dancy slippers.
We had a long day today with company, dr's check up for Gene and baseball. Back tomorrow....
Winston Churchill
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2019, 05:38 AM
Enthusiast
Boston MA area

Hails from United States

Joan: Thanks. The pine cone and slippers are very well done. I really like those pencils I might have to check them out.

C & C Always Welcomed
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2019, 09:39 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Joan and Paul, I checked out the pencils again and ordered some!
Winston Churchill
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2019, 10:36 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Great sketches ...everyone.

Sorry for sharing some not-so-nice news today: This morning I read on Cathy Johnson's FB that Wetcanvas's parent company (F+W) is filing for bankruptsy. I don't know how this will effect Wetcanvas and our Scavenger Hunt in the near future.
Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonysil.../#19bd51f94355

I am wondering that each of us who is regular here and want to keep seeing each other sketches should at least have an FB connection to our frequent member such as Joan, Jo, me, etc. somehow as a backup. Now I have connected with Joan, Jo, Jeanne on FB .. just for the sake if WC will change the form or disappear.

For EP, Robin and/or other admin., if you know the details of the situation...pls. kindly share with our Hunt members here too. Thank you.

Painting is my soul. My blog.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2019, 02:39 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Jo — Thanks much!

Paul — Thanks, and thanks also for the StarTalk Radio info. I'd never heard of it before but have now listened to an episode — very cool!

Joan — Thanks much! Cool pine cone and those slippers look so festive and comfy. Too bad they aren't better to wear. I've tried Inktense and other water-optional pencils, etc. Hopeless. I've never yet gotten a result I could stand. I can't get the hang of it. Everyone else is so good with them. I can't get anything but a blotchy mess.

about Wet Canvas's troubles — If Wet Canvas goes dark, I just want to say that I'll miss you all more than you can know, and think of you always. I'll be heartbroken. At the very least, I rely on being able to check from time to time that you're well and happy. Without that, I don't know... Plus seeing your artwork, and hearing you exchange gratitude to one another fills my heart to overflowing. I'll miss each of you as people, and all of you for your exchanges with one another as a group. And I wish you all the very best in life and art. Luv you all