WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2019, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast
Boston MA area

Hails from United States
Re: Scavenger Hunt #577, Feb 21 - Mar 1

Ai, Joan, Pine Cone, Jo, Joe, Joan, and EyePaint: Thanks

Jo: Nice sketches of trees, metal, quiet place, store... sounds like a tough day trying to sketch. I feel your frustration... I am often cursing at the wind I even fell into a river once chasing down my supplies

Joe: Great sketch, I agree with Pine cone the perspective is very well done.

Eye Paint: nice sketches good choice for crystal. Ok next vacation I will give you a yell.. think Las Vegas....

Ai; Nice sketches... great place to meditate... enjoy how you incorporate your kids in many of your sketches...

Joan: Beautiful plants, great color.... looking forward to the spring.... PPS sorry to hear about your loss..

C & C Always Welcomed
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2019, 03:07 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Paul - nice sketch of the parrot. Love the watercolor scene. Really well done.

Scatty - that does ok like a comfy corner and well painted.

Jo - you should get points for fighting the wind while painting. Are they really rental scooters?

PC - as I mentioned to jo in another conversation, it is all in sight sizing which I have only learned to properly use in the last year. There is plenty wrong with the drawing such as I now see I reverted to my habit of outlining on his front right leg. Bad habits are hard to break.

EP - I am not sure we can post videos here but will try to get one of him dancing. Nice job on the bear and the crystal.

Ai - love the pod sketches.

Joan - the app that controls him has a broad menu of treats. Love the flower especially the flaky peels look of the bulbs..Nice work!

Keep sketching
Joe
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2019, 04:31 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Joe, yes, rental scooters. There are thousands??? all over and you just get on put it in your app connected to a credit card and off you go and leave it anywhere, just not in the street or in the way. I guess the company rounds them up and recharges them every night?? They are all over campus and we really have to watch when you are driving. They ride them on the street and on sidewalks and don't pay attention to traffic rules. Worse than bicycles which riders sort of obey traffic. The scooters can get you when you are walking, too. Come up behind you or going the wrong way on the street. Scary....

I sketched in the big book with my Pilot ink pen. Freehand and quickly. Gene gives me a "pet" almost every holiday. These are on the shelf under my worktable in the studio.

Number 7, Your companion pet (challenge two or more of them together)

Winston Churchill
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2019, 04:38 PM
A WC! Legend
Cumbria

Hails from United Kingdom

...thanks all...
Paul, nice looking beach, I guess you must live near one?
Jo, ...goodness, you have a lot of well sketched companions!...great sketch of the store front and trees. Cool scooters. And a quiet spot is necessary for studying near psychology me thinks
Joe, Ralph looks super cool, do you walk him every day?
EP, neat stopper, love the cuddlesome monkey
Ai, that horse looks characterful, and those pods...love 'em
Joan, sorry to hear you had a family funeral. The amaryllis is lovely
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2019, 10:02 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by m50paul
Ai; Nice sketches... great place to meditate... enjoy how you incorporate your kids in many of your sketches...... .

Paul: The people inside the seat pods were not my kids....ha ha ha ...There were real mall goers...

Everyone: Thanks for your kind words.

Joan: Take care .. a funeral can impact one not just physical but mental energy as well. Lovely Amarylis

Jo: Wow you are on the roll...love the store and metal things and tree... the super pet friends are so super cute.

EP: Great job trying to do the crystal and the pet. I think crystal has always be my challenge. Cute pet.

Painting is my soul. My blog.

Last edited by Eye : 02-27-2019 at 10:16 PM.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2019, 10:50 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

EP – I love your fun monkey, adorable — and your crystal facets are well suited to the shape of the whole

Ai — Horses are one of the most difficult subjects to draw, and you did well. The relaxation you felt as you drew the seed pods shines through. Beautifully rendered — wonderfully dimensional. I also love the colorful serenity of the mall itself... creative and inviting

Joan — I'm sorry for your loss. The lovely amaryllis plants are quite poignant under the circumstances

Joe — Can you explain more about "sight sizing"? And I've been wondering about your shading technique. It seems almost textural and is very effective. Can you tell us about it? As for outlining, for the life of me, I can't find the problem you mentioned

Jo — Your companions look so comfy and happy. I love their adorable faces and togetherness. Beautiful challenge sketch
---> Pieces..... (both freehand, Procreate app)
"Be generous with your joy. Give away what you most want. Be generous with your insights and delights." (Pema Chödrön)

Last edited by Pine Cone : 02-27-2019 at 10:53 PM.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2019, 10:17 AM
Enthusiast
Boston MA area

Hails from United States

Ai: Thanks..... thought they were your kids you got me on that one....

Skatty: Thanks. yes I live near the beach in Boston where it is way too cold to venture out to the beaches. I have been down in Florida the past month or so escaping the cold and snow and enjoying the Florida Beaches, they are very beautiful. I have even been swimming in the Ocean as well as the gulf between sketches.....

Jo: Like all your little companion friends. Great ink sketch

Joe: Thanks.... well I start my trek home in a couple of days and will miss your fine state of Florida. Wish I had more time so I could have tried to meet up with you some where along my journey, maybe another time.... I will spend a couple nights in Orlando on the way back to Boston. It will actually take me a week to get home as I plan on hitting Atlantic City for some poker on the way home. Not sure how much sketching time I will have in the next week.

C & C Always Welcomed
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2019, 10:50 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Ai - thank you. Good job on the horse. I am unable to draw horses well. I think because I don't know them very well. Those hanging pod seats are amazing!

Joan - thank you. Sorry there was a family funeral. I think plants grown from bulbs qualifies. I think amaryllis are not so easy to grow?

Jo - thank you. Wow that is a lot of companion pets. What kinds of antics do you think they get up to while you're asleep? They look like they are whispering conspiratorily with each other

Paul - thank you. Vegas, hey?

Joe - thank you. Maybe you can post a link to a video of the dancing creature? I agree we cannot post videos on here.

Scatty - thank you

PC - thank you
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2019, 02:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Jo - love the pet collection. Sha has one too. They are all around the house.

Scatty - I have not taken him outside. He will follow you but need to keep on hard smooth surface and away from water

Paul - would be nice to meet up. My wife has MS and does not travel well so would have to be in Port Charlotte or Punta Gorda. Maybe we can plan for your next trip. Atlantic City sounds like a great side trip.

PC - I will write a separate post to answer your query.

Keep sketching
Joe

EP here is a little YouTube clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqIsH8Ym-1c

#55   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2019, 02:31 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

PC - Sight siding is a measurement technique that helps to draw what you see and draw it to ”sight size”. The crudest form is holding pencil at arms length to measure the subject. While this is good for overall height and width using dividers allows more precision. You use the measurements to put key marks on the drawing. The size will be the same as what you see. It also helps to measure with non-dominant hand so you can go right to paper and transfer the size marking with normal drawing hand. The other key is to pick a single spot to measure from. Like the top of a subject, inline with a vertical or horizontal or the focus point.

The other important part is angles and it is easy to make a tool to sight them as well the key here is a good horizontal or vertical reference.

I used the pencil measure technique for a long time with moderate success. But a drawing course I did used dividers and it kind of clicked. I also go a set of proportional dividers which lets you scale up or down. I am attaching photos of all 3 tools and one to show using dividers. The key is you have to always use at arms length to get consistent measurements.

As to shading, I typically use soft leads 2b or softer and for smooth surfaces I blend with a stump.

As to outlining I marked the places below, I do not know how or where I developed the habit but I tend to use heavy lines on outer edges giving the look of a coloring book drawing. These two areas the edge lines are way to heavy.

Joe
Sent from my iPad
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2019, 03:41 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Joe — Wow, thanks so much 😊 Very helpful explanation and pics and example of use. I've copied those tools onto my list for my next visit to the art store. Thanks so much for doing all of that!

As for your red-lined indicators of the outlined areas you're dissatisfied with, I'm not sure how to answer.... Everyone will agree, you must continue to strive for what you want to achieve as an artist. And if those areas make you unhappy, then you must work toward your vision next time around.

Yet, as an observer, I feel that the strong lines in those areas were part of the overall strength and high excellence of this particular drawing. In my opinion, they are appropriate to the nature of the subject itself, as well as to the overall method of drawing that you adopted for this piece.

It isn't that I don't appreciate lost edges. I do. I love them. But this wasn't the time for them and I love what you did.

Think of Joan's work. She does wonderful paintings for us with sometimes just hints of a line here or there, or with a few bricks on a building, while leaving some for our minds to fill in. Very painterly and intuitive and wonderful. But then Joan will throw in a different kind of sketch — one with strong lines delineating, for example, something in her kitchen. And those strong lines are complete.

What I'm trying to say is that, in my opinion, your outlining was perfect in this case because it complemented the nature of your animal, and the nature of your drawing.

But if you wanted a different result, you must ignore the above. The artist is truly always right. And you know something none of us can know. You know what you wanted to achieve and how it compares to the result you showed us.

As you say, keep sketching!!! And thank you for being a teacher to me in so many ways, over so many years!
"Be generous with your joy. Give away what you most want. Be generous with your insights and delights." (Pema Chödrön)
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2019, 05:03 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Scavenger Hunt #577, Feb 21 - Mar 1thev

FYI the proportional dividers were from a friend who passed. They are rather expensive and most classes you will find on using dividers use the mucho less expensive plastic ones. The angle tool is homemade i.e. Card stock, a hole punch and whatever those binding posts are called.

Thank you for the comments. You are right about the lines. I know I have a bad habit of outlining and so that is what I saw. Looking through your eyes I am happy with it. Thanks for the perspective.

Joe
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2019, 07:54 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Joe: Nice measuring tool and tips...

Painting is my soul. My blog.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2019, 05:22 AM
Enthusiast
Boston MA area

Hails from United States

Joe nice job on explaining how you use the divider

Pine Cone thanks for the great list

I posted the new list just now

C & C Always Welcomed
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2019, 05:51 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Thanks for stepping up and hosting a fun event EP!

I'll check out your list next Paul!