WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Miniature Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1171   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2019, 10:58 PM
Clear Mountain, Queensland, Australia

Hails from New Zealand
Re: Project Discussion: Painting the Masters ATC Trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by floblue
Lovely portrayal of haystacks, Ellen. And you really shine with your beadwork, of course.
  #1172   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2019, 12:38 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Canada

That is a cool idea Lawrence. I like the ďin your faceĒ deadpan humour of that! The true gawking tourist! Lol. I have been toying with the idea of creating a cut out along the horizon line and putting a suitable background there. Then framing it in an offset 3D manner. I could also cut out and off set the foreground too. So a deep mount.

I think your portrait is coming along very well. Great job on their expressions and skin tones! I hope you will complete it. Itís hard when you run out steam or drive/ excitement for a piece. Or perhaps there is a portion you arenít sure how to do...yet! I run into all of that. Especially without a reference!

Well donít be embarrassed, I donít generally donít paint landscapes. But here is my NEMESIS! A big one I started in....2012!!! Yup. I dust it more than paint it!
I did grow bored. I fiddled, repainted areas a few times. There are areas I have changed from reference and it has slowed me down. Second guessing my approach. I went tighter than I wanted. I am changing my light/ warm tones and need to stick with one thing. I donít want a height of a sunny day, bleached out look. I want reddish browns and not greys in the tree trunks. I didnít want to be a slave, and tried to be expressive. But it is tight. Mainly, I GREW BORED OF PAINTING TREE NEEDLES, LEAVES AND ROCKS!!!!! Some here have wanted this done for years now. I do plan on finishing it. But my style has grown since, and my friends comment on that. That is cool.
But I will get this done. I still like it. I still think others may like it. I have a stairwell wall this would make more interesting if nothing else. It does feel a bit of a weight knowing there is a piece waiting forever for me to get back to. I have posted this before, but now I feel motivated to finish. Maybe we should cheer each other on and send updates once in a while on our progress.
I know it will feel really great getting it done.
This is the one painting my father in law has repeatedly asked after over the years. I should get it done and give it to him.🙂 His family was from this area.

Inevitably some attempts will end up in the trash. Continue anyway. Perseverance can trump undeveloped, procrastinating, or fearful talent.

Last edited by PaintBoss : 05-11-2019 at 12:53 AM.
  #1173   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2019, 01:52 AM

Hails from New Zealand

Yes, thanks. Gawping is the better expression than mocking which is more an aside from someone who doesn't fully understand, nor appreciate, this age of the selfie.

Thanks for the feedback on the couple portrait too.

It would indeed be a good thing spurring one another on with updates. Wonder if Barb will join in? I've done writing coops before and didn't enjoy them that much because of reasons that now seem silly and immature. But this suggestion of yours seems more to my liking because all we're doing is simply motivating one another with our creations when motivation is lacking in oneself. I sincerely believe the artist is more aware of what needs doing than the writer. But that's my bias.

I do like your landscape because of the light effect on the upper portion of that pine and the smooth blends in your rocks/boulders. The background sky and the foreground tree work well to convey a sense of brightness. My first impression is that this looks to be a mid-morning scene. It could just as easily be early afternoon on a crisp clear day. It will look cracking once you complete it, for sure.
  #1174   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2019, 07:49 AM
Enthusiast

Iím joining in! Christine the branches on the trees are like lucious green velvet that I would love to run my fingers over and you smoothed the rocks and lit the path just enough to invite the viewer in. The rhythm in the branches is great. If I was to do anything further to this painting I would Accent my focal point just a little bit and call it good. When painting I have to always remind myself what Stefan Bauman (you tube) says. We donít paint things we paint light. Thank you for posting this Christine and Lawrence thanks for the encouragement.
  #1175   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2019, 08:01 AM
Enthusiast

Lawrence it looks like you have a really nice start on the portrait. I hope you find the source photo as it would be a shame not to finish it. Iím sure they will love it when they receive it. I hope you win the lottery and finish the painting.
Christine the picture of the beach scene is is also a good start. Adding the people to it seems like a good idea.
Iím going to try to re work all of my 30 bad paintings this summer and see what comes of them. I would hate to die and have bad paintings left for Ďsomeone to remember me by. Repaint and save or burn them. Gotta go. Dadís up and lucid today
  #1176   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2019, 09:31 AM

Hails from New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by floblue
Iím going to try to re work all of my 30 bad paintings this summer and see what comes of them.
Sounds like an achievable painting goal to me. Another step in your journey. You never know what you might find.
  #1177   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2019, 08:32 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Wallabies are adorable. The zoo here had an outbreak of toxoplasmosis and eight of them died, the poor things. They figured that it was brought into the zoo by feral cats. One of the ladies I swim has a daughter who is their keeper and she was just sick about it. I'm still beside myself over losing Zeus, I couldn't imagine losing eight beloved animals, poor animals and poor keepers too.

We have a problem with a neighbor letting his dogs run loose but he got the scare of his life last week when they ran into the yard that has a huge German Shepherd who has one of those electric fences. The shepherd ran through her shock and chased them back to their own house. He didn't realize that she is a friendly shepherd and thought his dogs were about to die. He needed the shock though and he's had them on leashes ever since.

I think all your paintings are wonderful!
  #1178   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2019, 08:33 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Ellen, your beading is exquisite! Lovely work on your cards too.
  #1179   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member

Good morning all, it's 5:30 and I really should still be sleeping but my body said, nope, time to get up.So I gave in and made the coffee.Every morning I sit at my table and read these pots on WC. I especially love this one . It's really nice to get a glimpse of the "other" art that you are all doing too. Christine I would love to see your beach scene when you finish it, it looks like an inviting playce to go visit. I also like your trees but agree with Barb that its too much all the same values. Think "light" is a great idea.
Lawrence, I like your portrait a lot. I paint portraits mostly and this one is a very good start. Hope yiou can finish it. I have one of my grandchildren that is 4 years old and still not finished. It's against the wall in a stack of canvases. When I'm not happy with how a painting is coming alonmg it feels like no amount of work can save it and it gets stacked and forgotten. I really should learn to treat it like Barb did and just paint it out and start over..
Speaking of Barb,,,,I liked your painting before you painted it out..It looked like cabbages. Now it does look like a fish pond..some Koi swimming around and water lilies might be just the ticket!
  #1180   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member

I received a Christmas card from Ellen with some nice beadwork and a very well done miniature watercolor from this trade.. Beautiful! I can't post the pics for you right now Ellen as I have to use my desktop computer for that or else everything comes out sideways on here. Thank you for the lovely cards.
  #1181   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 10:01 AM
Enthusiast

Happy Motherís Day to Everyone. Hope you all have a grand day. Cindy the painting was of ornamental cabbages. It was just the underpainting. I told my brother about the painting and he said before I wipe out another painting let him have a good look at it. He said that my sister tries to make me fell bad about my work since she hasnít done any of her own. Both my brother and sister are pretty good artists. My brother is especially good and always gives good feedback even if itís something that I donít particularly want to hear.
I also like coming to this thread almost every morning to see what is going on. A great group of painters and Iím also always interested in what they are doing.
Cindy. I have quite a few paintings stacked against the wall too. Sometimes I come to a place where Iím just not sure what to do next but iím Finding out that as I grow as a painter I can go back and possibly resolve the painting.
I spent all last night seeing paintings in my sleep. Finally I got up and just did a rough sketch on the iPad of the ideas. Hope that when I paint them they turn out as good as they looked in my sleep.
  #1182   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 12:57 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Thanks Cindy. I persevere a little longer with my failures before I move on.
  #1183   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2019, 08:47 PM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia
Comment on final entry by: SAndypp

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...ntry_id=106271

Replica of 'Madonna in Prayer' by the Artist: Giovanni Battista Salvi. Called Sassoferrato after his town of birth in Italy. 1638/1652. The original painting found in the National Gallery of Victoria Australia, is one of many number of verions to flood the devotional market. (Remember there where no photocopiers bac then or scanners to produce prints, each had to be done by hand). The paintings where placed traditionally adjacent a sick bed or a meditation place. This Replica now belongs to CinderellaG.
  #1184   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2019, 10:14 PM

Hails from Canada
Comment on final entry by: SAndypp

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...ntry_id=106271

Sandy another warm and very well done portrait! I am sure Cindy will love it!
Inevitably some attempts will end up in the trash. Continue anyway. Perseverance can trump undeveloped, procrastinating, or fearful talent.

Last edited by PaintBoss : 05-30-2019 at 10:18 PM.
  #1185   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2019, 10:17 PM

Hails from Canada

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. Asthma has me bad right now, so not posting a lot, or painting.... But I try to drop by WC to read the threads. Hope you are all well.🙂
And here is some gossip. Barb is creating artwork for a show and I was lucky enough to see her work in progress. And let me just say how beautiful her paintings are. Wow! She is very talented, AND very modest. But I am saying it out loud here.🙂
I love seeing paintings in my sleep Barb! The mind frees up. You mentioned your siblings. Relationships can be complicated. No matter who they are, it is important to keep supportive and positive influences and not get influenced by the negative input or personalities for whatever reason. You are wise knowing that supportive influences can be constructive criticism and not just criticism or all sunshine and roses.

Last edited by PaintBoss : 05-30-2019 at 10:27 PM.