WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Miniature Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2019, 11:04 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Canada
Re: Project Discussion: Painting the Masters ATC Trade

And.... hi to everyone.
Inevitably some attempts will end up in the trash. Continue anyway. Perseverance can trump undeveloped, procrastinating, or fearful talent.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:58 AM

Hails from Canada

Virginia do you still have my address from the Christmas exchange or do I need to send it to you again?
Inevitably some attempts will end up in the trash. Continue anyway. Perseverance can trump undeveloped, procrastinating, or fearful talent.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:54 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Nope, I still have it.

Yup, you can interpret a master, that'd be interesting.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:26 PM

Hails from Canada

Lol Well we will SEE what turns up! Who knows!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:30 PM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia

Hi All:

I have decided to join the ATC 'Painting the masters'. It was brought to my attention by floblue. I have only done one ATC Trade swap on Wetcanvas back in 2007. I can be mainly found in the WDE weekend events. I live in Australia and if you'll have me I would like to join this Project.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:52 PM

Hails from Canada

That’s awesome that you have decided to join us! I look forward to chatting and seeing your work. And we are always excited when folks from all over the world want to participate.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2019, 02:22 AM
Enthusiast
Westfir, Oregon

Hails from United States

Christine, when you asked about interpretation of the masters, what did you mean by that? I've been thinking about this all evening. It may be that it will be a fit for me because I'm not sure I can duplicate any of their work. I'll try both approaches.

Right now I'm working on making a little blanket for my great-grandson who is due on April 16th. My grand-daughter's baby shower is the 23rd of this month. I'm itching to start painting, though.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2019, 03:26 AM

Hails from Canada

Well at university they would sometimes make us create a piece in a certain art movement’s style. Not a copy, but almost....like another piece that artist may have done. Really fun and informative on some of the modern styles in particular. Like Deconstructivism, or Cubism.
So for instance in Cubism, the artist is painting an object or person. But, ”In Cubist artwork, objects are analyzed, broken up and reassembled in an abstracted form—instead of depicting objects from a single viewpoint, the artist depicts the subject from a multitude of viewpoints to represent the subject in a greater context.” This was weird at first when I tried it. My prof told me kindly, to go back and do more- push away from the traditional way I wanted to draw a subject. Turned out very cool and very abstract in the end. Often you could not easily detect what the original object was without really looking and sorting it out. Different artists pushed it further than others, and the movement would have sub categories for that. Like “Cubism Futurism”.
Here is Duchamp’s “ Nude Descending a Staircase No. 2”

So, when I think of interpreting a master work, I try to do the key elements in a piece that would obviously be an ode to, and clearly inspired by, the master work.

Quote Ref: Jean Metzinger, Note sur la peinture, Pan (Paris), October–November 1910

Last edited by PaintBoss : 02-12-2019 at 03:31 AM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:26 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Sandy,
I see that you signed up. Christine thanks for the hints about finding the key elements in a piece and creating your own work. This should be an interesting trade. Think I might get started today since the weather is so crappy and I won’t be going out again today. Other than going to the doctor and church I haven’t been out since January 18. Hope this weather breaks soon.
Ellen it’s wonderful that a new little one is on the way. I bet you can hardly wait to see it. Hope your feeling ok.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2019, 02:17 PM

Hails from Canada

Hi Barb, how are you? Nice to see you here. Cabin fever yet? I know the feeling. Thank goodness for these projects! We have been getting a lot of weather and cold too. Today and into tomorrow again. Freezing rain turning into heavy snow with high winds. Always days I have important appointments for some reason.
When is the baby due Ellen?
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2019, 02:54 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

We just had a big mulberry tree fall and take out our fence. Kind of a shame but it was mostly dead. Oddly enough our flagpole snapped too. It's pretty thick metal but the freezing must have found a weak spot.

There's a huge branch hanging on our power line. I don't know whats going to happen with that but it doesn't bode well. If I disappear for a day or two that's why.

There's so many options with this theme. Do whatever strikes you.

We're almost full, only one more spot is open.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2019, 03:06 PM
Enthusiast
Westfir, Oregon

Hails from United States

Welcome to Sandy! It's nice to see a new face.

The baby is due April 16th and this past week she got another ultrasound done and now we can see what his little face looks like. He's a beautiful, perfect little guy. I'll post the scans here later today if I don't forget. I'm very excited for him to be born. My grand-daughter and her fiance share custody of his kids from a previous marriage who are 3 and 4 years so they'll have a full nest. Sadie and Matt have the kids most days his ex works. I'm very proud of them all that they're doing a great job of co-parenting without arguing and bickering. It's refreshing to see that and Liberty (age 3 and a girl) and Eli (4 and a boy) show the love they're getting. They're beautiful kids and very emotionally healthy. The new baby's name is Lukah. Eli had hoped for another baby sister. Liberty wasn't very interested in the idea of a sibling. I don't think she quite understands that one is eminent. lol

Christine, thank you for explaining interpretation. That's very interesting. I could see part of the staircase in the picture you posted. I'm self-taught so this is the first time I've known the things you mentioned. I love the idea. Maybe I'll try that for one or two of my cards.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2019, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, this filled up fast! I think it will be a great exchange. I have started on mine and having a lot of fun doing it. I will have works by several different masters and several works by one of my fav's!. I love copying the masters..I always learn a lot doing it!
Ellen, I hope you are feeling better now and your feet have found a way to stay warm! Its no fun having cold feet... By the way, did you ever mail out from the last exchange? I have everyone but yours so I am just checking to see if I might have missed it in the mail? I have my mother living downstairs and sometimes she gets the mail...it then sits there until she remembers to give it to me.
LOL
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:41 PM

Hails from Canada

Virginia, hope there is no more damage there. So far we have had a tremendous amount of ice here and it really is coming down now and freezing. My hubby hasn’t seen this much freezing rain in years. Then we are to get heavy snow overnight. I have my candles and flashlight ready.

Ellen, how lovely to see your relatives creating a happy, healthy family life...and a blended family at that.🙂👍🏻 You don’t always see that.

Hi Cindy! How are you?

Well interpretation can mean a lot of things. Here is what I got when I looked up master paintings and pets. Or “custom renaissance paintings for pets”.

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:21 PM
Enthusiast
Westfir, Oregon

Hails from United States

Cindy, my Christmas ones will go out on the first or a little sooner, depending on when my money hits my debit card. I'm sorry they're so late.

Welcome to etosha and BearStar. More new faces that are heartily welcome. It's good to have more new people join us.

Those are fun paintings, Christine. Maybe I'll try doing one portraying my little Gypsy in something similar. lol

I did figure out a fairly good solution to my cold feet. I put a heating pad in the space my feet go in on top of my art Kaboodle. I don't put my feet directly on the heating pad because of my neuropathy making my lower legs and feet numb but I just put it into the space in the little sleeping bag occupied by my feet and it warms that space like a little heater. It's working pretty well, actually.