WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2019, 09:36 AM

School project, interview someone who has a career as a digital artist.

My daughter has a project for school that requires her to interview someone in a career field she is interested in. She is very interested in being a digital artist, loves anime and creating original characters for her friends.

Is anyone interested in replying to some questions about your job as a digital artist?

Thank you.

Last edited by PSR : 01-17-2019 at 09:49 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2019, 02:54 PM

Re: School project, interview someone who has a career as a digital artist.

I am not sure what “field/ type” she will be going into. She is in high school which is why I am posting and not her. Her project is for English but serves more purpose than just an English grade. Anything, I as the parent can do to foster her in the pursuit of this career (even though I don’t understand any lingo, lol), I think is the right thing to do.

Here are the questions if anyone wants to assist.

Did you go to school for a degree in your career field? If not, did you attend a technical school?

What do you consider to be the most complicated part of your job?

What is your greatest achievement job wise?

Do you prefer to communicate through writing or verbally?

Do you communicate in writing or verbally in your job?

What would you do if you felt you misunderstood a vital communication on the job?

When you call someone do you have notes in front to stay on topic or do you go with the flow?

Is your writing formal or informal?

What are your writing pet peeves?

How many times do you proofread something before you send it?

How often in a day do you using written communication in your job?

How often in a day is a form of messages (IM, pm, texts) used to communicate?

Do you think writing is a big part of your job? Why or why not?

Have you ever been confused by a poorly written email or letter? How so?

What resources do you use when it is necessary to expand and/or correct your vocabulary in a technical sense while you are writing at work?

Can you tell me about a recent work written communication? Was it formal or informal? Email, letter or message? How long was it?

What advice would you tell yourself, as a teenager, about the art career field?

Thank you for your time and assisting me with my school project. Not only did you help me with school but answering the questions has given me a better understanding of want is involved in the career choice I am currently pursuing.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2019, 10:18 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

As far as I know most of the members here are hobbyists or work freelance doing commissions or selling prints. Maybe someone can help out from that point of view. For some reason the digital forum here isn't very active. But if she's interested she could join or just browse here to see what people are doing in digital art, maybe get some inspiration or even ask for critiques.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2019, 10:50 AM

Hails from United States

Maybe I can help. I got my BA (4 years state college) in art - Took Fine and Graphic (we called it commercial art then) , taught for a while (family expectation) , then went back to school ('95) when the digital era was dawning. Since then, I've worked mostly in advertising design, for newspapers and magazines. It was a safe, 9-5 with benefits, but those jobs were going away, so I started freelancing from home,
I'd say my biggest achievement, is just being able to say that I can keep freelance work ongoing and make a living at it. You have to juggle multiple jobs, and stay focused and creative at work and keep the business end of things going, invoicing, pricing etc.
As far as writing, in my freelance work, I worked almost exclusively with people at a distance. Email, telephone, text, all necessary to communicate, and therefore, it is necessary to be competent at writing. A lot of text comes in with typos, gramatical errors, either purely by accident, or by those whose grammar and spelling isn't the greatest, so I good command of spelling and grammar is necessary. Most of my incoming work is email, and if directions aren't clear, I pick up the phone and call.
There's a bit of a difference between designing for print and web. My focus was on print, and while print is NOT DEAD, most jobs require a knowledge of both.
These days, I've had more opportunity in Photography, so I've taken a bit of a side track in that direction, but I still output one magazine each month.
Your daughter is welcome to PM me, I believe you can email me thru Wetcanvas or contact me thru my website: www.sunflowercreative.com.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2019, 10:44 AM

Elainepsq, thank you for your assistance. Sadly the assignment was more related to English and grammar then about a career but it did give me insight into how to help her and encourage her to continue with art. This forum may be a place she could learn more and get guidance as a young artist.