WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Art History Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2018, 01:42 PM
Denmark

Hails from Denmark
Productivity of famous artists

Some 3 years ago I started a thread on this forum about the productivity of famous artists. I listed several artists along with the number of paintings and drawings each had produced. Since that time I have researched over 50 artists but could only find reliable information on 31 of them. Unfortunately, it's difficult to find information on the number of drawings many of these artist produced. In some cases I could only find a total of works created with no distinction between drawings and paintings. I'm sure the data I'm looking for is out there somewhere, but I could not find it. I have compiled my findings into a table which I posted on my website:

http://www.art.eonworks.com/archive/..._20181204.html

Comments, corrections, and critique is welcome.

Sci-Fi illustrator and concept artist | My Facebook
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2019, 09:56 PM
Immortalized
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada
Re: Productivity of famous artists

Interesting. I just thought I’d pass on that according to Christian Nebehay, in his book “Gustav Klimt, from Drawing to Painting”, there’s over 3700 of Klimt’s drawings in a recently published catalogue raisonné. I think he actually did far more, but he was rather careless about them, and lots were lost after his death. But if you could get hold of a copy of the catalogue raisonné, as well as similar for other artists, it might help you along.
Cheers,
Chris
The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2019, 10:27 AM
Denmark

Hails from Denmark

Thank you caldwell.brobeck. I have updated the table with the information you provided on Klimt. And you are right about catalogue raisonné, but unfortunately such books are too expensive for me.

Sci-Fi illustrator and concept artist | My Facebook
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2019, 11:16 AM
Immortalized
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada

I think they’re too expensive for most of us. But they are sometimes available to view through university libraries or private foundations, or those institutions might have people who could provide the information you’re looking for. Using Klimt as an example, perhaps the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts:
https://kadk.dk/kadk
could help you. Or perhaps the (private) Klimt Foundation?
https://www.klimt-foundation.com/
There’s similar for a number of artists, 20th century ones in particular.
Anyway, good luck, it looks like an interesting project.
Cheers,
Chris
The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution