WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2018, 11:43 AM
WC! Guide
Henderson, Nevada, USA

Hails from New Zealand
Re: Delo's Random Sketchbook

Your sketches are wonderful! If you haven't yet found an inexpensive sketchbook that will take watercolor, Amazon has this one that would do the trick. Takes paint on both sides.

Strathmore Visual Journal Spiral Bound 5.5"x8" 140#

Kate
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2018, 09:09 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Thanks for the suggestion of sketchbook Kate. I will definitely check that one out, might be very useful to have one like that to do my color comps on. Also, thanks for the compliment, I have gotten to a point where I am happy with my sketches, but I need to do more finished work.

Delofasht
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2018, 10:56 AM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Wow, been moving into a new place this past week, really kept me from being able to spend much time drawing. So yesterday I needed to draw something to warm up, grabbed my sketchbook and quickly ripped through my photo references till I found a flower. Honestly not sure where I got the reference from, but I quickly drew it out. Anxious to get back to my stuff from imagination though, but have to plan that stuff out in my head before just jumping in randomly.

Delofasht
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2018, 01:33 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

One of the pages I finished filling up today:

Back to photographing my work until I get a chance to get a new scanner. All of the above from photographic references, don't really have the sources because I just picked them up over the years in my saved folder. I wish I could give credit to the photographers and models. . . great images. Ah well, it's just for my sketchbook anyhow, no money to be gained off it.

Delofasht

Last edited by Delofasht : 04-05-2018 at 01:35 PM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2018, 02:36 PM
A WC! Legend

Delo, your sketches humble me. I particularly like the figure in the upper right, that is a difficult pose.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2018, 03:18 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Aww thanks Marcia, now if I can just get to painting as fast as I sketch, it would make me really happy.

Delofasht
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2018, 06:59 PM
WC! Guide
Henderson, Nevada, USA

Hails from New Zealand

Love your sketches and glad you're getting settled enough to do more!

Kate
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2018, 08:19 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

I'm really impressed with your shading in your sketches and that color study looks really fantastic. Keep these coming.

It is annoying when you want to use both sides of a sketchbook and can't. Someone suggested the Stillman & Birn books. They are favorites of mine, as are the Bee Paper Sketchbooks. They take watercolor washes pretty well.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 12:28 AM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Thanks Joan, and yes I was quite annoyed with wanting to use both sides of my sheets and being unable to. This sketchbook doesnít keep pencil on the pages well either, it rubs off on the pages in front of my drawing. The inks seep through, the ballpoint dents the pages and makes it unusable in the back with even medium pressure. I used Strathmore sketchbooks for years because I just did not realize there were better ones available.

A few years ago I picked up a tiny Moleskine and was blown away, but they no longer make that one, which is fine. I did order a new Moleskine recently though, and it just came in today, but I want to pretty much finish this Strathmore up just to get it done and put away.

I did manage a lot of good sketches in it, but am ready for it to be shelved and only pulled out when in need of inspiration. I havenít even shown half the pages in it, but many of them are just going to be gessoed over and drawn or painted on again at a later date (when I canít stand looking at them anymore).

The S&B book I recently ordered is going to be amazing I am pretty sure. I thoroughly look forward to doing some really finished looking work in that, really wonderful paper, texture, and weight.

Kate, thanks for the encouraging words. I am extremely happy to have some time to sketch again, was unable to really do much during moving days; too exhausted by the end of the day.

Delofasht

Last edited by Delofasht : 04-06-2018 at 12:30 AM.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 11:54 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Knocked out this page tonight, lots of fun stuff going on there. The initial extrapolated 3D modeled version of one of the types, then working my way through the list I made earlier. I may go back to that initial one in the middle of the page again, the first rendition of the back is a bit too straight for my tastes. Overall quite happy with the first couple sketches of my "dragons", going to work on making them all as unique and interesting as I can. Once again, going to go back in and do clean line work from these on another page, and add some washes to really push the form. Lastly, going to go back and do color comps for each, and several different versions of colors as well. Not all of that will take place in the sketchbook though.

Delofasht
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2018, 05:06 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Busy day yesterday, after doing a few dragons I was really feeling the sketching that day so last night, random references on my computer or from video stills:

Then today:

Googled rocks:

Imagined cavernous cityscapes with smaller looks at some parts of the potential architecture:

Now I need to go do some painting today after I take a nap.

Delofasht

Last edited by Delofasht : 04-07-2018 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Color corrections
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2018, 05:09 PM
Lord of the Arts
The Land of the Moonrakers

Hails from United Kingdom

Great sketches!
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2018, 09:51 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Thanks so much Sonia. I love sketching, wish I could get paid only to do that, but gotta start finishing up some work, with all the moving I have had to delay a lot of my usual work due to limitations of space, time, or equipment (lots of it still in storage).

Delofasht
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2018, 08:54 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Great sketches!!! You have such a variety of subjects. The dragons are super, but what I love are the figures and how you hatched them for shading. These fast few graphite sketches are really nice. Which S & B book did you order? I really like the Beta for my watercolor and ink sketches. The ink just flows so nicely on the paper.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2018, 12:36 AM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

First page has a bit of actual journaling, this is my view from my desk, I had a painting I was working on up on my screen, so I made sure to paint it into my sketch too. I have done so many color comps for that scene now.

Sketches from still frames during some youtube videos, comic style frames done for some kids to show how I don't worry about doing a single drawing on each page. Little silo and porch of a little prefab home. The center drawing is an exploration of shapes and values, I wanted to hint at a futuristic environment. . . it may not make sense to others, but I like it for some reason.

The upside dragon scene is a copy from an image I saw on Deviant Art from an artist named Steve Goad. I kind of changed a few things because his figure seemed a bit stiff to me, but I liked the overall appeal of his composition.

Joan, I ordered a Zeta after trying out some of the papers, I really like hot press papers for all my work. It allows me to do all media on it, including anything run through a fine tip nib without worrying about any of the fibers or texture wearing down the metal. Also, Hot press surfaces dry faster, which is important when I may be gesso'ing some of the pages so I can paint on them with oil. Really looking forward to jumping into that sketchbook, but it's really purchased for finished work so I may not ever really be showing it here unfortunately. I have a different sketchbook for sharing with us here, a Moleskine to replace my old one that I lost somewhere (was just a tiny 3x5 one, this new one is bigger).

Delofasht

Last edited by Delofasht : 04-29-2018 at 12:38 AM.