WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2013, 10:36 PM

Advice on a painting that I have been thinking about doing for several years.

I have been thinking about doing a drawing or painting of my Great Grandfathers ranch for several years. I finally picked a image from a old photo of my Great Grandfather that is very blurry. I have drawn it in pretty heavy and left any facial detail out. Any advice on where to start this painting and or how to paint his face with little detail and still make it look good? I'm using arches cold pressed paper with some Van Gogh / Windsor Newton paints. Thanks in advanced for any input to help me make this painting successful.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2013, 12:39 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Advice on a painting that I have been thinking about doing for several years.

Hello, #1! This is a beautiful drawing...I would make him, with grizzeled hair and beard (of course)...and worn denim for his clothes, except for the shirt, that should have some of the cabin colors. The cabin, I know it should be time worn boards..leaning towards silvery gray with some warms interspersed. On the sledge: logs (I have no idea as to what he is actually hauling, not from the photo or your drawing.

I'm sure you already have ideas for background trees and mountains (remember to add a bit of warmth to the mountains, but keeping them pale and far away). The tree, do it however you want, but don't make it's too dark and so "fight" with your Grandfather's image.

So, your Grandfather is the COI, and in all the coolness surrounding him, he is the warmth! A slightly ruddy face (from the cold), warmth in the shirt, the worn denim....whatever warmth you choose for his face or shirt...add a tinge of it to the cabin, to the mountains...even to the trees. But not too much...just to tie it all together.

That is MY imagination....please just use whatever you read here as "if it was me" answers, and then please use your own imagination, your own vision. That's the MOST important thing I can say to you!

Margarete

P.S. What is your name #1....? It's so funny, when artists first join WetCanvas they never sign with their first name....I remember, I did the very same thing!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2013, 01:49 AM
A WC! Legend
EUROPE

Hails from Austria
Re: Advice on a painting that I have been thinking about doing for several years.

IMHO I wouldnt draw the "pile " ??? behind your Grandfather
- its extrawork and doesnt support him
Make it simple

[/url]
http://www.miklavcic.co.at/aquarelle...2018/index.htm
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2013, 04:30 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

A great find. Would be good to record the scene. I adjusted the photo a little:

Doug
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2013, 04:36 AM
WC! Guide
Ohio

Hails from United States

Keep it simple. Try to tie the building to your grandfather by line or color. Doug's adjustment looks like a painting on it's own - notice how simple the background trees are.

Jan
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2013, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member

I wonder if you might want to change the composition a little. He seems to be disappearing out of the picture.

Here's one suggestion (using Doug's edit).

What do you think?

Mike
Attached Images

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2013, 05:27 AM
Veteran Member

Fabulous photo, by the way - I'm very envious.

And as the "pile" behind him is a sledge, I would definitely include it.

Mike
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2013, 05:55 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

I like the edit, it associates him more closely with the cabin. Maybe he could be holding a rope to the sledge.

Doug
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2013, 06:12 AM
WC! Guide
Ohio

Hails from United States

Doug, It's interesting to see how one idea begets another. This type of thinking about how to proceed from a photo to developing a well-composed painting might be a good idea for challenge?

Jan
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2013, 06:49 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Yes Jan we have discussed a possible class on the subject.

Doug
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Oakwood, Ohio, near Dayton.

Hails from United States

If it would be possible to find an image of a sled (or add to what already exists from your imagination), I like moving the figure of your grandfather a bit closer to the cabin, but leaving the sled where it is. Then it would be to his right and make a stronger composition IMHO. Otherwise, there is a big bare area of snow and the painting would be too much weight on one side.

Interesting photo. I don't think you need too much more detail than you already have drawn in for his features. It will be recognizable to those who knew him and just enough for the average viewer to fill in on seeing the painting.

Sylvia
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 AM
WC! Guide
Michigan

Hails from United States

I like the altered pic; and while Sylvia has a good suggestion I rather like all the white space around the snowmobile, your Grandfather and the tree on the left. By painting this tree with it's unusually gnarled branches the composition is still good. I think leaving the sled where it is will be entirely up to your opinion.

I think it's a fabulous ref photo and Doug's cleaning up of it is great. What great memories you must have.

I hope you show us your stages as you go. By the way great drawing.

Darla
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I like the drawing and I think you could enhance the composition as it stands (although the other comp is good, too!) If you lengthen his shadow, add some business in the area leading upwards to the cabin, and some structural shapes to the mountains, plus arching the branches over to point more in a circle, it takes on a somewhat different flow. Heighten the contrast on grandpa, to give more sense of recession, too.

Visuals work better for me--though this is extremely rough:

Think of a big circle, with grandpa as the COI.

Just a thought...
Gouache Blog
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2013, 12:41 PM

Hails from United States

Hi--This is a great scene. re painting the face with little details and still having it look good, I think it will out fine since the bill of the cap is casting a fairly strong shadow across most of your great grandfather's face. By darkening it and the cast shadow of the milk can by the cabin as well the shaded side of your great grandfather slightly more (his left, viewer's right) it will all tie together nicely.
Lee

Last edited by bigskycountry : 03-22-2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: change grandfather to great grandfather
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2013, 10:44 PM

Thank you all so much for the great advice! I had no idea that I would find this forum so valuable, and I'm glad to be a part of it. Maggie, my name is Eric and thank you for your great advice. Doug, I love what you did to the photo. I want to use that altered picture as a reference to keep me from adding to much detail. Mike, I like the suggestion and think I will move him to the right a bit but not quite as far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my dark drawing will erase. I plan on leaving the snowmobile in the same place and doing my best to fill it in by imagination. Sylvia, thank you for your advice. I think moving my Grandfather away from the snowmobile will also clear up any confusion as to what it is. Darla, thank you and I will keep adding photos and questions as I move along. Deborah, I like your suggestions about the shadows. Thank you, Eric