WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2015, 10:13 PM
A Local Legend
Chattanooga, Tenn

Hails from United States
Re: Elements and Principles - LINE

YES, I am. Glad you are. This is what will help all those who say "I don't know what abstract art is all about."
C&C always welcome
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2015, 03:10 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Post away.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2015, 08:12 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Can't wait to see your work. A class with Liz Steele must have been great!
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2015, 12:41 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Interesting stuff! You have a lot of fun with abstraction and dimension and unlikely juxtapositions.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 09:00 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

It amazes and aggravates me to this day that I never finished posting these photos...I even posted an update for the first time I went through the Foundations course and then never followed through!

My apologies. My life have been rather full of upheaval in the past few years, but nevermind.

4 moves, 1 house purchase, several international trips, 5 jobs, a huge career change, a marriage, a promotion and significant technological advances later...

I have a smartphone. And can tell you that...

...the next page of this sketchbook is this:

And GOOD GRIEF why can I still not upload images in Safari?!!
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 09:06 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

My apologies for any sideways images...I'm going to power through the next few for the sake of expediency.

Really just playing, here. I took the Element of LINE very seriously in this first sketchbook....and promptly fell off the wagon for every subsequent sketchbook, completely ignoring their element or principal.

I remember having a huge amount of fun with this:

And loathing this flower immensely:

#52   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 09:12 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

The next few pages were a great deal of fun, and I really got into a groove with line, and texture, and playing with images. The mushrooms were from a photo, the nuts from life.

Don't know what was up with the random abstract thing on the right, but I do remember loving the effect of line to portray shiny metal on the jug. I believe I was quite proud of myself there for not smudging anything.

Especially love the bit with the brazil nut...note to self, repeating things usually leads to some sort of breakthrough.

#53   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 09:20 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

Stay with me here.....you can really tell when I have enough time to concentrate and enjoy what I'm doing, and when I'm just trying to fill space. Sadly, the latter takes over for a lot of the rest of the project.

I believe this was the first time I experimented with this sketchy technique to show sparse, irregular foliage...still use it to this day.

I still try to force myself to do this; block in large shapes to define value. I never enjoy it. And don't sketch regularly anymore. Which probably means it should become another project until it is properly appreciated :P

Really liked drawing that thyme! This was before windows became the dominant theme...I forgot about that. Useful, and interesting, since future project will involve a lot of sketching from the garden.

#54   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 09:28 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

The last page of the first sketchbook! Finally!! It took six years, but it's finally up!!

And it's not a very good sketch, but it was very memorable to me. I remember doing it, and looking so closely at the shape of leaves, and enjoying the process very much.

The stickers were supposed to remind me which paper was used to make the sketchbook, but they've faded so completely they are unreadable!!

Well I can definitely say that I learned an immense amount about Line from this sketchbook. It makes me wish I had explored the other Elements and Principles with the same focus, but life got really busy for the rest of the year and I defaulted to just filling pages.

There does seem to be a significant shift in the way I used line from the beginning of the sketchbook to the end...more assured by the end, and much more accurate shapes.

Because all the sketchbooks were all part of the one project 6 years ago, I will continue to upload them here instead of adding new threads, if the mods have no objection.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 09:43 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

I just went back to the previous page and realized.....I double posted the same images SIX YEARS LATER!!!

How I missed that I will never know.

Ah, well, it will remain up as a testament to my own obliviousness. Onward and upward...

Because there is another sketchbook, along with images I took for you in 2013...which was 3 computers ago.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 10:02 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

Everyone, may I introduce you to......SHAPE!!

Now I just need to say right off the bat that I remember hating this sketchbook. HA.TING.

I struggled through it, and even learned a whole bunch, but the amount that I learned was almost obscured by my loathing of the binding I used, the paper I chose, and the overall struggle to deal with the sketchbook I had made.

And then I had to do it again in May! (The sketchbooks were made in pairs).

And it wasn't even the paper's fault! This was a computer paper, not an art paper. Can't remember which one, but it's a laid resume paper, probably cotton.

I think I already knew that Canson laid paper was my favourite, but in an effort to find a cheaper substitute, I saw "cotton resume laid" computer paper at Staples and thought "Jackpot!".

It was not a jackpot. I think I still have some of this stuff kicking around. I will never draw on it again.

But I bet someone else will! In fact, it would probably be great in a soft pastel sketchbook, or using charcoal. I didn't use either of those materials in it, but it suggests those materials.

It's....soft, this paper. Almost limp, when working with it. Rather a shock after the crisp paper in the previous sketchbook.

Watercolour did weird things on it, and it was difficult to layer anything. Strangely, the images themselves don't reflect the struggle, but don't be fooled. The struggle was real.

Also I'd used a combo sewn/glued binding that never opened flat, and which I never used again. Not a success, overall, in terms of sketchbook assembly.

But anyway. I present to you the first page.

That right there, is a shape. And there's really nothing more to be said.

Except goodnight for the moment, and I hope someone is amused at this blast from the past.

I really appreciate you all still existing and WetCanvas still being here!
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2019, 08:50 AM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

You know, it's really very interesting to go back through these...I remember them being much worse than they were.

At some point, I was 8 sketchbooks behind...completed the April sketchbook (far and away my favourite) in October!! So I'd go two weeks without sketching, then go out and complete 7 spreads at once.

It's also easy to forget how much this influenced my sketching practice going forward...I've lapsed for the past few years (even though I still carry a sketchbook everywhere I go), but things I do now automatically actually evolved during this project.

My discovery of using soluble and non soluble ink with wash, outlining all the pages ahead of time to give (very wonky) frames to each page...I even compulsively number each page the same way, and think in terms of 30 page spreads.

And of course, I discovered my absolute favourite sketchbook paper of all time, which I still use, and my favourite real watercolour paper, which I still pick up on occasion.

Here's where I first started messing around with watercolour (and coloured pencil), soon to become my primary medium for sketching. Mostly because at this point, I was already behind, and needed to fill multiple pages quickly.

#58   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2019, 03:49 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

I think this is the first time I attempted to draw or paint my primary palette. With any success, anyway.

I love this palette, though it is not one you can purchase anywhere. It's made from a water soluble crayon tin, spray painted with white enamel, and the wells are formed with Sugru. (The wonders of Sugru and their ability to make palette wells was something I discovered on Wetcanvas. )

Somewhat surprised that I was still trying to explore shape here, with 3-D forms.

And here we get into some real repetition with exploring watercolour, shadow, shape, texture and...more endless repetition. The paper doesn't do well with watercolour, I'm surprised it doesn't look worse.

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2019, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Paris, France

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarn
More than two years later, I'm resurrecting this thread/project in honour of a landmark moment! I just enrolled in an online class with my absolute favourite sketch artist of all time, and the one who has had by far the most influence on my work! It's SketchingNow with Liz Steele, and the class homework is in a Flickr group.

I'm curious how you liked the Liz Steele class? I am considering signing up.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2019, 03:27 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

Do it! Doooo iiiittt!!

Heh. Enough enthusiasm for you? I like her classes enough to buy two of them and do them twice. In fact, this whole, "blast from the past completion-of-the-thread" thing was prompted by me signing up for the live Edges run-through that I have joined for April 17th.

My first run through of Foundations I did with only half focus due to the aforesaid life events...now that things have calmed down, I'd like to give the classes the attention they deserve, and compare it with this project from 2013.

Her classes are extraordinary in the breadth, depth and clarity of what they cover, but I imagine they are significantly different from a live class.

I really value being able to slow down, pause, skip forward, etc. As well as being able to print out and study concepts that I later see demonstrated in video.

It helps that I love her style, but I really think that her background as an architect means she approaches sketching in a way that is clearly explainable. There is nothing she does that is without a clearly stated reason, and she doesn't forget to explain things that she does intuitively.

She's also excellent at breaking down complex subjects into easily manageable pieces, so that sometimes it's not even obvious how much you absorbed until later.

If you are more advanced, are trying to learn a specific technique or style, or are less interested in sketching and more interested in producing fully finished art pieces, you may with to go with a different course.

If your aim is to improve your sketching and understand better how to translate images onto your page in your own unique way, her classes are the best I have come across, and the only ones I have decided are worth paying for.

It will be interesting to see how it changes my sketching this time, now that I live in a less urban environment.