WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 PM
A Local Legend
Chattanooga, Tenn

Hails from United States
Re: Elements and Principles - LINE

Here's a sample from your sketchbook. Now you can see you have hundreds of comps in your work. Good work pays off. ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jasmine.jpg (64.1 KB, 110 views)
C&C always welcome
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2013, 01:35 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Jasmine, this is great stuff!!! I went though the whole thread multiple times, just to make sure I saw it all. Excellent work!

Thanks for posting. Very inspirational.

Jan
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2013, 06:04 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Glad to see all your work here! (And a prodigious amount of work it is.) Looking forward to more.

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2013, 09:42 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Jasmine, wow. . . you have done a HUGE amount of work on line as well as creating all those journals for your work. I think its great how you have used different types of line like pens, markers, pencil. And drawn delicate objects like the Queen Anne's lace to heavy rock! Very nice. Bravo!

As for line having to be exact in art, I don't think so. . . sometimes it adds character if its a little off of being perfect. Have you ever checked out Tommy Kane's blog?
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 PM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States

Wow, Jasmine! You have been busy. I like the whole concept of your study of the elements, and have enjoyed looking at your sketches and reading your commentary. I can totally relate to your struggles with keeping it "just line". Actually, hatching and cross hatching are lines too. LOL! Maybe instead of literal interpretations, you could stylize your sketches a little, forcing you to play more with different ways to use line. The border idea is a good one too. Lots of interesting borders that you can use to surround your subject. Oh, and I like your handmade sketchbooks and your experiments with different paper too.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2013, 08:45 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

I love how you are analyzing your sketches as you go. You've done a lot of work already. I like the sketches inside the borders...it gives them a different look Keep up the good work!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 08:23 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

Oh, everyone, I've loved all your comments so much! I'll try to be a bit more spread out with posting next month, this is all going to be crammed in again.

I'm glad you seem to be enjoying the long explanations since I can't seem to help, it, might as well make it a virtue!

Bevahlee, I can't believe you took the time to do that cool layered composition thing! It took me a minute to realize the sketches were actually mine, it looks so different! I will definately play around with that when it's composition time..what a neat idea!

ccoppola82, deighted to hear that you focused on line a great deal..maybe I'm headed in the right direction! And thank you for the permission to print out your step by step tutorial

And Dr. Debbie, I'm grateful for the encouragement...your line sketches are so comprehensively good and atmospheric that it makes me realize I'm never going to be primarily a line artist. Which is okay. I'll just look at yours!

I've learned a tremendous amount about all kinds of things from this "LINE" exercise. I'm glad it was first, because it really is the one I was least looking forward to. But it's a lot more enjoyable (if time consuming) than I anticipated, and even though I'm scrambling to find interesting things to draw that are also within my abilities, it's quite neat to see it all emerge.

Whoops! Forgot I need to switch browsers before uploading; I'll have to start another post.

Thank-you everyone, for your comments. Without your steady feedback I'd never have made it through the month!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 08:46 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

This was a sort of bizarre mishmash of desperately using any excuse to make marks on paper. (I was not in the mood!). The note on the right hand side says "Echh. No. Live models or pictures for people. ". I attempted that gesture-y sketch thing from a sketch of a person....it seems a sketch of a sketch only works if it's an object :P

The top left hand side was fun- bean sprouts, just googling images.
Then, taking the advice of RainySea and mhimswc, I started playing with stylization and non-precise lines. The nice broad lines are a Croquis B6 Lead Holder, and its a great deal of fun but wow is it messy. Watersoluble, too, so I look forward to paying with it more next month.

This is all just playing with line in general. I felt I'd been remiss in not just introducing myself to Line and seeing what it wanted to do. I liked the meeting corners thing. Liz Steele has a particular way of drawing the proportions of buildings (She's an architect and Urban sketcher in Australia with the most awesome blog(s)) that involves crossed corners. I tried to emulate it later and ...didn't quite get there.

But nevermind. It's just the first month.

This was supposed to be an experiment in sketchy line that quickly degenerated into an exploration of smudgy line. And then I tried to...do something else. On top of the graphite (Croquis again), I used white Prismacolor and China Pencil (China marker? It's a wrapped stick in rolled paper).

I was trying to pull out dark lines by doing that, because that's usually how white wax over pencil works. But I'm not really sure what it did in this case. It looks interesting, though.

And then I had to go outline everything in fine black pen. Because I do that.

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

Heh. You can REALLY see the ink coming through the page now!

The next one is what made me realize that I actually have to warm up when sketching. Is it that same for you guys? I never thought about it before. It's like my fingers and my brain take a little while to connect, and my eyes take a moment to remember what they're supposed to be looking for, in terms of visial information, not just [i]seeing[/I.] So the first sketch is almost always worse than the ones that come after.

Anyway, this is an attempt at protraying a delicate flower in a not particularly delicate medium (Rainy, how to you DO that?). It was from a picture on local wildflowers that I didn't particularly like, either, which may have contributed to the apathy.

The knife on the bottom was accidentally drawn with the sketchbook upside down, and I was very pleased with it. The note says "Bwaha! The Law of Compulsive Outline!" Because, as I mentioned...I do that, and the butterknife could not escape.

The note on the flower says "I will not fill in I will not fill in I will not fill in I will not fill in....but I WILL change the line weight!"

Of course then I did fill in a bit with shading (I was resisting the urge to pick up the waterbrush), but I varied the line-weight without really thinking about it, so it didn't really go anywhere.

Sorry for the blurryness on this one!

This was another attempt at a picture I took in Finland of a little cluster of mushrooms, and some fun with a walnut and some almonds. (Note to self: small, textured objects are really fun to draw. I may have a thing for texture. )

I was again reminded of the "interpret, don't copy" rule, but after the fact. Why is it so much harder to portray soft or smooth things in pen? Maybe because without delicate shading, they are just a flat shape? But shouldn't Line help there? Maybe it's a line weight thing again.

I DID bring out the waterbrush here, forgetting that I had changed to a not very washable mixture in my Ahab.

The idea about smooth things being hard to portray seems not to apply to hard or shiny smooth things. This metal carafe was great fun, with all the hard edged reflections. Like the metal butterknife. (Hmm. Typical. I gravitate to heavily textured natural objects and highly metallic shiny things. Two things, total opposites, equally interesting. Story of my life.)

Ignore that thing on the right. It wasn't interesting long enough to be much of anything.

These were done in ballpoint, by the way. It seemed more appropriate, thought I don't know why.

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 09:21 PM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

Okay, last one, and I'll have to finish tomorrow, because there are still unfilled squares on a couple of pages!

This one was interesting. After the flame sketch which was a copy of a trace of an animated bit from The Hunchback of Notre Dame, (who knows the scene? Go for it! ) I managed to loosen up a bit more on the nuts. Going for gesture, not accuracy (a key? I may have found a key!) and even managing to draw a shape without filling it in at all! It took 25 days, but there you are!

Also; it was much easier to draw these because they were side lit by a lamp, in the evening. Neutral lighting is hard. I'll be more aware of lighting in future.

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 09:55 PM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Jasmine great to see you have pushed yourself to continue through to the end of the month. I really like what you have done. The bean shoots are great. The person sketch does look like a person. You handled the shading on the metal cutlery.... but that's not line work is it... ooops. I like how you handled the mushrooms. Great work with the nuts. Yes you do seem to do really well with texture. BTW I agree about having to do some warm up sketches before you really get into it.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 08:40 AM
East Coast

Hails from Canada

Oh good! I'm glad you warm up too. I don't know why it's never occurred to me before..that's sort of why professional artists KEEP sketchbooks, in't it? Or at least, one of the reasons.

Also, thanks..I really liked doing the bean shoots
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 03:56 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

These are great. Following your sketches and commentary is really inspiring. Your dedication to your goal is really admirable too.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 09:02 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

You are so dedicated! You have some really nice sketches...especially those mushrooms. It is fun to see and read about your ideas. You did well with the line.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2013, 11:07 AM
A Local Legend
Chattanooga, Tenn

Hails from United States

had to play with some more of your stuff. lol you have a wealth of paintings in your sketches
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jasmine2.jpg (74.2 KB, 55 views)
C&C always welcome