WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2006, 01:55 AM
Enthusiast
The O.C., SoCal

Hails from United States
Re: Best Landscape books

RE: a prior post; Kevin MacPherson's .. Fill Your Oil Paintings With Light .. is the req'd book of my new City of Laguna/Irvine Valley PA class.
I've been new oil painter with knives for about 15mos and have found difficulty in the ID and purchase of books regarding "Knife Painting". A number of months ago, I bought two of Caulton Waugh's (sp?) circa '72-73 on "Painting Landscapes With Knives". Should someone be able to suggest a more contemporary book on knive painting, please let me know!
boomerbeach in SoCal
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2006, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Central Oregon

Hails from United States

Susan Sarback Capturing Radiant Color in oils book or her video is a good example of how a painter uses a knife as the only tool for her paintings check out her website http://www.lightandcolor.com/index_susan.htm as with most videos IMO the experenced artist makes it look much easier than it really is... thats where practice is a huge part of painting.
Rodney
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2006, 09:16 PM

Hails from United States

Well, I've now bought MacPherson's book (which I like), also based on the recommendations found on this thread...I note that MacPherson has a page of his own recommendations...which include "Carlson's Guide to Landscaping!"
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2006, 10:17 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Arizona

Hails from United States

Carolyn Lewis "Painting Mood and Atmoshere in Oils" Northlight 2005
I saw this was a new book to the library so I picked it up. She emphasizes painting from life. Has several good demos. I was pleasantly surprised. Good solid book about landscape painting.

Bill
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
English Lake District

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Foehringer
Carolyn Lewis "Painting Mood and Atmoshere in Oils" Northlight 2005
I saw this was a new book to the library so I picked it up. She emphasizes painting from life. Has several good demos. I was pleasantly surprised. Good solid book about landscape painting.

Agree about the book Bill. Unfortunately cannot say the
same for the partner DVD. The lady may well be a fine
artist but she is one of the most boring demonstators I've
ever seen. I cannot watch the DVD without at least two
breaks or I fall asleep. I am disappointed with it.
Geof.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2006, 02:17 PM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada

I've read all this with interest, several times over the years , and have a request.
I'm looking for a certain old book, title and author forgotten.
In the early 70's when I was in art school, it was already old, yellowed, with small print and few or no illustrations, and it was about light and colour mainly.
It was dry and somewhat technical and I was the only one who ever took it out of the library at the university (the seventies... minimalism... landscapes were uncool). It was wonderful.
I thought it might be Carlson's, and although similar, it lacked some passages I still remember. One example I remember was about greens, and noticing the differences with apparent colours and whether the light was on it or shining through it. There was another about waves, how different parts reflect different areas of the sky or land.

As Carlson himself said, a little technical knowledge needn't spoil ones appreciation of nature, and in fact for me it only enhanced my appreciation.

Then I got busy for a decade or three, and didn't do much painting, but never forgot about that book, and now I want it!
Any ideas? Does it sound familiar?

my virtual gallery
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Canada: Ontario & BC and Barbados W.I.

Hails from Canada

I am a watercolourist, and I have a lot of books. My favourite for this media, is Gordon MacKenzie's "The Watercolorist's Essential Notebook - Landscapes" from North Light Books of Cincinatti.

This book tackles every nuance of wc landscape painting right down to that very delicate subject of creating atmosphere and mood in pictures.

I went to a group wc painting session in a nearby public library and I showed those in attendance my copy of this book, and to my surprise, almost everyone knew the book and shared my enthusiasm for it, but even moreso one of the artists reached into her bag, and pulled out her copy.

I go to the Caribbean each year, and discovered in MacKenzie's book two pages on painting Palm Trees (there doesn't appear to be a stone unturned in his book) Are you finding it hard to paint grass in a field? MacKenzie deals with that too. A backlit, forest meadow........that too!

I can't speak highly enough about this book. It not only sits at the top of my collection but it has brought an end to me flipping pages in my sizeable collection of wc magazines, while in search for an esoteric topic.

(By the way........I am not a publisher for this company, nor do I even know the author of this book)
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2007, 02:12 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Arizona

Hails from United States

Nita Leland's "Exploring Color" for all you watercolor painters seems to be a good book for the basics. I picked it up by title only at the library and found that it was based on watercolor pigments and techniques. There were good passages about painting in general but so much more appropriate for watercolor than pastels or oils.
BillF
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2007, 03:36 AM
Southeast Tennessee

Hails from United States

One of my favorite books, while not specifically targeting landscapes, per se, is Ray Hendershot's "Texture Techniques for Winning Watercolors". I had this book in my library; unfortunately for me, my library had to be left behind in Florida due to limited space during a move back to Tennessee. Anyway, I found his methods for handling foliage, stone walls, weathered wood, etc. to be quite helpful. Once I'm able to start rebuilding my library, I'd love to pick up another copy of Hendershot's book; unfortunately, North Light no longer publishes it. Amazon has five sellers listed for it with their prices ranging from $90 to $197 . At least our public library can get it for me on interlibrary loan from a private library that's also located in my county .

In passing, we should note this curious mark of our own age: the only absolute allowed is the absolute insistence that there is no absolute. -- Francis August Schaeffer
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2007, 09:29 PM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada
I found it! I found it!

found it!
I found the book I was referring to in post 140.
It was still in the stacks in the university library (wonder if anyone else has signed it out since I did in the 70s lol), my daughter found it for me, and I was able to find a used copy from Barnes and Noble for $7.95. It arrived today.

The book is "Tone and Colour in Landscape Painting" by F.Merlin Haines, written early 50's I think, long out of print, rather dry, and full of useful information "about how things look" and why they look that way. It makes Carlson's book (which I like very much) seem light in comparison.

Anyone else familiar with it?
I'm so pleased!

my virtual gallery
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2007, 01:49 PM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada

Here it is from the Used B&N:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/use...58549848&Itm=1

my virtual gallery
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2007, 02:35 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikLNjLo
Alla Prima by Richard Schmid is one of the best.

Excellent book! Read it from cover to cover then went a bought a dvd Richard Schmid Paints the Landscape - June and two other of his books.

On a side note has anyone checked out Sequential Sketches and Other Delights?

For reason to tolerate those who refuse to play by the rules of reason is nothing else but the suicide of reason. ~ Lee Harris
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Cincinnati OH

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabella2
I've been coveting one of Stirisik's books, but haven't been able to find one for what I would consider paying for it. You got a bargain.
The note is interesting. Looks like the same person did all of it, doesn't it?
Which makes the second half confusing to me.

I've got Capturing Light I might part with.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2007, 03:44 PM
wynnum Brisbane Q

Hails from Australia

Wish I could get that carlson book here ...
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Northern Virginia

Hails from United States

For guidance on landscape painting techniques in acrylic and some excellent demonstrations, I'd heartily recommend Hugh Greer's "Acrylic Landscape Painting Techniques". One of the most cherished landscape painting books I have is "Capturing Light in Acrylics", by John Hammond. Both Hammond and Greer have companion DVD's to go with their printed works. For watercolor landscapes, "The Art of Designing Watercolors" by Robert Lovett and "Fill Your Watercolors with Light and Color" by Roland Roycroft is choice. Perhaps the most remarkable lanscape painting book I have is "Landscape Illusion" by Daniel Chard. I think this last book is out of print, but it would be worth running down in the second hand market. Since none of these books were mentioned in this thread, I thought they'd all be good to add to the discussion. One problem I have is the tendency to spend my time reading great books and not painting. All of the great ideas in the world won't help without putting your brush to canvas. Hope you all find some happy painting to go with your reading this winter.

Gary