WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2019, 10:10 AM
Canada

What to charge for my paintings

Hi,

I still consider myself a beginner in oil painting as I am still taking weekly classes at an Atelier art school. I have had friends approach me to buy some paintings but I have no clue what to charge. I have researched various formulas that can be used and I think I might prefer the cost per square inch calculation. I need advice on what initial cost per square inch would be reasonable ($0.50 / $0.75 / $1.00 etc.). The first painting I am selling is 16” x 20” on canvas. Any advice?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2019, 10:18 AM
Atlanta, Georgia

Hails from United States
Re: What to charge for my paintings

You'll find many discussions related to this question by following these steps:
1. From the WetCanvas home page, go to Art Business.
2. Under "General Art Business", click "Browse this forum."
3. Then look on the right side for "Search this Forum."
4. Search for the key word "pricing."
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2019, 11:05 AM
Enthusiast

[quote=SM59]Hi,

I still consider myself a beginner in oil painting as I am still taking weekly classes at an Atelier art school. I have had friends /QUOTE]

When you're a beginner it's rare to have friends that are encouraging and supportive. Imo you can't put a square inch price on that kind of moral support

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2019, 01:52 PM

Start with $25-$50. Will that pay for the supplies? Don't try for a profit.

Then move up to $100. Stay there until you're out of school. It's a lot of fun to sell paintings, and see them hung outside a closet. And with the money, I hope you'll buy a few yourself. We artists encourage each other. And yes, strangers also buy our work at times!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2019, 02:11 PM
Canada

Thanks BeLing for that advice. It does sound reasonable to me.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2019, 01:53 PM
Lord of the Arts

If you plan to hang your art in a show or at a gallery or artist co-op in the 8 months to a year, you might start out pricing your work with enough room for the maximum commission you think you will encounter. That way your prices don't have to jump 100% overnight when / if that happens. You could call any potential venues and ask what their commission rate would be.

When you sell to friends and family, you can give them a 40% "gallery" discount which would be what you wanted to end up for yourself without a commission.

A $50 painting would be priced at $84 to allow for a 40% commission. Divide the amount you want by the sum of 100 less the commission - $50 / (100-60) = $83.33. Don't forget the cost of your frame. You need to use the same formula on what you paid for the frame and add that to the total price, so you don't lose money on it when paying the gallery / co-op commission.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2019, 07:50 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM59
Hi,

I still consider myself a beginner in oil painting as I am still taking weekly classes at an Atelier art school. I have had friends approach me to buy some paintings but I have no clue what to charge. I have researched various formulas that can be used and I think I might prefer the cost per square inch calculation. I need advice on what initial cost per square inch would be reasonable ($0.50 / $0.75 / $1.00 etc.). The first painting I am selling is 16” x 20” on canvas. Any advice?

I give my paintings to friends for free, otherwise they will just get thrown out because they have no retail value and they just accumulate and take up space.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2019, 06:58 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I don't think it's a good idea to get in the habit of throwing out paintings. I think all paintings have retail value; it's just a question of finding the buyer. I don't throw out paintings I no longer care for that never sold. I paint over them. Even if you use texture, you can oil up the painting and sand that off and reuse the support. As for giving paintings away, in the past year, I gave one to friends and the other to a charitable auction. I recently sold an old painting for full price, so you never know.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:50 AM
Canada

I agree also that a painting should not be thrown out, rather paint over it. I did this with a few of my very first paintings. As for the one I originally posted this question for - I could have named any price and it would have sold at that. I did not want to take advantage of the emotional tie this painting had with my buyer and maybe for that reason it was hard to come up with a price. It being my first sale, would set the price for any future sales... er, that is hopeful future sales.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Roth
I don't throw out paintings I no longer care for that never sold. I paint over them. Even if you use texture, you can oil up the painting and sand that off and reuse the support.

I can afford to buy a new canvas panel. Blick sells them for hardly anything.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2019, 07:01 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I like good supports. After a couple of years of painting on Blick's Premier canvas and having problems with slubs and strings stuck in the gesso, I tried Fredrix Pro Dixie, and there is no comparison. It is a much finer weave and no slubs. Also twice as much. Still cheaper than many other canvases, but I don't throw away a $20 support.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 02:41 PM
Immortalized

Neither do I, apart from the cost, I try not to be wasteful from an environmental viewpoint, also as others have said the texture is great to work with.
I also agree with theBongolian re: friends🙂

laf-art.com | Prints | FB
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
At Da beach in florida, Cocoa beach, Cape canaveral, Merritt Island.

Where i live in Florida, the gallery's charge the artist to put their work in the gallery. The artist has to pay up front to rent gallery space then has to work in the gallery once a month. Some gallery's also take a commission from sales. You will also be competing with many other local artists in the gallery. Best thing you can do is start your own gallery with a lot of shopping traffic.

I have just been thrown out of the inn where I was staying, naked as a worm. Claude Monet
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
At Da beach in florida, Cocoa beach, Cape canaveral, Merritt Island.

Always charge double what you need to pay for the painting and make good profit.

I have just been thrown out of the inn where I was staying, naked as a worm. Claude Monet
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2019, 06:54 AM

The best advice I received is to think about how much would you need to receive not to feel badly about letting it go. Come up with a price by whatever means (square inch is a good starting place). Then think about selling it for that amount. Would you be happy or regret it? If you’d regret it then bump up the square inch price and see what it gets you.