Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Gallery Much Depends On Dinner

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

This is an example of a watercolour demo that went off the rails in places, but there are some rescue techniques buried in here that might help beginners struggling with this sometimes frustrating but very special medium. I hesitated to post this, but maybe showing something that didn’t quite come off the way I wanted it to is a learning experience in itself, and an admission that even the most experienced of us comes a cropper once in a while!! See https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1449959. for how this was done.

Credit for this beautiful still life goes to Barbara Swinton of Paint My Photo (PMP), and its colours, texture and composition caught my eye.

Zeldaquatic

Thank you for the link,not easy for newcomer to WC to explore all the site to find this kind of step to step .

Glad to be of help.
        John

teshparekh

:thumbsup:

Thank you.

- Tesh Parekh

rossmarie

If at first you don’t succeed, try try try again.

A wonderful example of your skill and tenacity, John.

The demonstration link was excellent.

Nothing much wrong with your steady hand at 91. I’m still wondering how you could possibly paint those perfect black currants.

Always a treat to see your posts.

Mike :) :clap:

Ellen E

This is excellent work. Thank you for sharing it with us. To have that steady hand at 91 is wonderful. I’m only 72 and I don’t have a steady hand 100% of the time. I’ll be doing fine and then my hand will decide to move a little bit and then I’ve painted something that I didn’t intend to.

Also, thank you for giving me a reason to say “I’m ONLY 72”. :lol: It’s not often I get to say that. :)

Wow! Excellent work John, great demo.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

ErnstG

Fantastic!

Ernst

Meine Seiten - My website
                        Malen ist nicht alles im Leben - aber ohne Malen ist alles nichts!
                        Painting is not everything in life - but without painting everything is nothing!

Johndk

You are an inspiration John.

Thanks for sharing so freely with us.

As long as there is light, I will paint it.

:clap: :clap: Thanks for dropping by everyone, and I’m glad this post and the step-by-step on The Learning Zone proved useful. If the moderator will allow me, a few philosophical thoughts: I will be 92 in September, and I find my motivation to do large complex watercolours is fading, so this may well be my last effort on this scale. I retired in 1987, found my mentor in the late Robert Long and fulfilled my long promise of painting full time as a retirement hobby in between running a B&B with my late wife. Before I go to that great studio in the sky, I would urge all beginners out there to persevere and recognize that learning is an accumulative thing. Trust me, you will find your “voice” if you paint on a regular basis, Take courses, read books, but above all keep painting. You will fail many, many times, but recognize also, that you will learn from your mistakes – perhaps more than you realize. For many years I taught adults the joys (and frustrations) of watercolour painting, and many of them remain my friends to this day. Never give up, and remember these words of wisdom from “The Desiderata”:
                            If you compare yourself with others,
                            you may become vain and bitter;
                            for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
                            Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Thanks Eisaquatic (new member, and welcome), Tesh Parekh, John DK[/B]
                            Yorky: Glad you liked it. Your tireless work and support down the years have been much appreciated.
                            ErnstG: To have your approval is a gift worth having. Thanks.
                            Ellen E: Just the kid on the block at 72! Thanks.
                            Rossmarie: So glad you’re well again. I always love your style. Thanks.

http://www.watercoloursforfun.com

oldmink

:wave: :thumbsup: :wave:

Glenn Koons

ntl

definitely an inspiration. Thank you.

and thanks for the link. I expect to learn from it.

yahya sryio

Great .

Painting is jealous, and requires the whole man to herself. Michael Angelo

A wide variety of different textures and well painted details.
                                        It was also interesting to watch the rescue action, thanks for showing this.

Esther

hoylander

This is a Wow, John, a wonderful painting with all the colours, textures and shapes! Also thank you for your encouraging words, I’m sure they’ll help many, myself included! :clap:

Joan :wave:
                                          Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.