Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Basics, Heavy Body and Soft Body or Fluid

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    swbouton

I’m a new painter. All I use is acrylic paints. Over the last couple of months I’ve bough a variety of paints and far too many of them. Now I’m confused which to use and when to use them.

I’m not very happy with Basics because the don’t cover well. I’ve tried Golden and Liquitex Heavy Body paints, but they don’t flow as well as I sometimes want them to, even with additives. Recently I bought two Soft Body paints just so I could evaluate them. So far my impression is very positive.

So, what do you experienced painters use and when do you use them. Is there a place for Soft Body, Heavy Body, and Basics?

Thank you for your time.

T.H.Arts

I keep Liquitex soft and heavy body in the same colors. I find I use the soft bodies for skies, tree limbs, etc… – anytime you want a “fluid” paint. I’ll use the heavy bodies for texture or if I need a thicker layer.

I’ve used the basics but I’m done with them. No use for me.

Guide

The thickness or thinness of paint will depend on how you paint. Paint lots of painting. After a while you will find hat you gravitate toward.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

BeeCeeEss

I agree with Howard. Eventually, after a lot of trial and error, you will find what is right for you.

I started acrylic painting initially with Liquitex Soft Body paints (then they were called Medium Viscosity acrylics). They were about the consistency of just-melted ice cream and they diluted well to make fluid washes, semi-transparent passages, or they covered well for full opacity. Even fully opaque, the paint layers will be flat with little or no texture. I used them for many years until I tried Golden Fluid Acrylics and REALLY LOVED THEM! They are a bit more fluid than the Liquitex Soft Body acrylics and work beautifully for fine detail work while doing everything that I could do with the Liquitex Soft Body paints. Both are wonderful. You just have to decide which is best for what you want to do.

I have also added heavy body Golden Acrylics and Graham Acrylics to my collection. I find these very useful when I want to build up a bit more texture, do a lot of scumbling, or just want thicker, more opaque paint.

I work mainly on watercolor paper or on watercolor canvas. I generally begin all my paintings with laying in fluid, transparent washes to cover the surface of the painting and eliminate any possibility of those pesky “pin holes”. For this beginning stage and mid-stage when I start working with semi-transparent or even opaque passages, I like the fluid acrylics best. They just thin more easily with water for fluid, even washes than the heavy body paints will.

For the later stages of the painting when I want to really punch up some areas and make them stand out, I switch to the heavy body acrylics.

Just give them a try and find what works best for you.

Beverly

I love cooking with wines! Sometimes I even put it in the food! -- Julia Child

Like everyone else here, we have a range of paints from more solid types to the softer versions and we use them depending on what we want to achieve. There really are no short cuts to plain old solid practice and experimentation. Perhaps you should keep some notes on the various paints, when you use them, etc, so you can get a better feel for them and why you like the paint or not.

Carol
                    "Mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence" - Time Bandits[/color]
                    Moderator: Acrylic Forum
                    My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography[/B]

I mostly use Liquitex soft body because I like my paint to be thin. Heavy body would be better to have if you like using thick applications.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
                    Every painting is a new adventure.

Well poo, I think I paint fairly thin and I have all heavy body. Perhaps I should try some soft body too. Is there any medium that I can use to properly thin them to the point of soft body? I have a matte medium that I use now and then, but I don’t see much difference from just adding water. But maybe I’m just not using enough? I saw some “Liquitex flow” at the store the other day, I used to use something like that when painting craft things, but I remembered it sort of made things more translucent, and I prefer to stay opaque unless I’m glazing in some colors, which I find I’m loving, btw. If you were to get one color to try, what would you suggest? Some sky color? Although, I don’t usually have too much trouble getting my sky to go on nicely, unless I’m doing a larger canvas and then I have to work pretty fast.

Attalus

I use Liquitex soft body, Da Vinci and Golden soft body. Love them

Bill was a long time valued member of our community who passed away after a lengthy illness. We will miss him. Rest in peace.

"Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

My dA page:http://attalus.deviantart.com/

BeeCeeEss

Well poo, I think I paint fairly thin and I have all heavy body. Perhaps I should try some soft body too. Is there any medium that I can use to properly thin them to the point of soft body? I have a matte medium that I use now and then, but I don’t see much difference from just adding water. But maybe I’m just not using enough? I saw some “Liquitex flow” at the store the other day, I used to use something like that when painting craft things, but I remembered it sort of made things more translucent, and I prefer to stay opaque unless I’m glazing in some colors, which I find I’m loving, btw. If you were to get one color to try, what would you suggest? Some sky color? Although, I don’t usually have too much trouble getting my sky to go on nicely, unless I’m doing a larger canvas and then I have to work pretty fast.

If you like to paint “thin” the advantage of using either the soft body or fluid acrylics is that they are already closer to the consistency you want to paint with. You don’t have to add as much water or medium to get them to flow the way you want and the pigment density will be much higher or more opaque because you didn’t have to dilute the paint so much to thin it.

One of my favorite acrylic artists, Charles Harrington, advises using a mixture of 50 percent water and 50 percent acrylic medium if you want to really thin down the heavy body acrylics so that you maintain proper adhesion of the paints. If you add too much water to the acrylics to thin them, you might weaken the binding of the medium.

Beverly

Thanks Beverly, I will have to pick up a few and try them out!

BeeCeeEss

My pleasure.

BTW, a little flow enhancer (made by many different lines of acrylics) added to your mixing water will also help the soft body and fluid acrylics flow more evenly and come off the brush better when doing detail. A little of this goes a long way so follow instructions on the bottle for proper mixing ratios.

Beverly

Sheryl

I use very fluid paints, many are indoor wall paints that I love. When I have tubes of the thick acrylic artist paints, I squeeze them out into a small jar and thin with water. I have never had a problem with water thinned paints.

sherylgallant.ca
                                    - "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." - Joshua 24:14

adamBomb

The thickness or thinness of paint will depend on how you paint. Paint lots of painting. After a while you will find hat you gravitate toward.

This. Get them all and just paint. You will find your preferences. I use all of them for various things. I like the Basics/Liquitex/Golden that you have. I use them for backgrounds and to cover large areas. I love the thickness. But for detals and some other things I do in my paintings I prefer the soft or fluid paints. So it just depends what I am working on but over time I have a amount of colors for each type and do use them all.

I enjoy art. I love surfing and live at the beach...:cool:

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/raymepastore/
                                        Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/raymepartistry/

Delofasht

I prefer Heavy Body paints myself, all acrylics are far too loose for my general taste, but I do use Basics, Galleria Free Flow, or Atelier Interactives (which have the most body of the paints I do own).

I do think everyone has different tastes in what they like, and the coverage of the more flowing acrylics does seem less opaque than the heavier body ones from what I have noticed in general. As others have noted, play around with them as see what works for you.

- Delo Delofasht
                                            fedetony

If the issue is coverage….You can always use the titanium white to cover and then use the final color over it when dried….

Federico Garcia
                                                My Blog
                                                C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                              • The topic ‘Basics, Heavy Body and Soft Body or Fluid’ is closed to new replies.