Home Forums Explore Media Watermedia National Draw a Bird Day 8 April!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

It is almost time for National or International Draw a Bird Day on Sunday, 8 April!
    Here are several RIL images if you’d like to participate in watermedia and post HERE within this thread on that day :clap: The more the merrier :thumbsup: and there is a Facebook page of same name and DABD.

Its origins are from 1943 in Great Britain you can read about here.

Bengal Eagle Owl RIL by CraftyHopo

Flamingo Head RIL by KreativeK

Pelican RIL by aolaranora

Hummingbird RIL by Echidna

Scrub Jay RIL by coyotegal

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Kay, it states “draw” a bird – is it a graphite challenge, or can we use any medium?

Penny
    I live in Wiltshire, England
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

It’s not only graphite. Any media is fine.

Kay

Thanks, Kay. I also,presume we can use our own reference.

Penny
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

Kay – Thanks, that’s good to know as I’m using charcoal and pastel pencils and I wasn’t sure whether to post it here in Watermedia or in A&W?
    It is Sunday 8th here in New Zealand so I’m working on mine today and hope to post it here later.

Moderator: Animal & Wildlife, Floral & Botanical, Watermedia

Yes, use these or your own refs, and we can cross post both forums.

Kay

Here’s mine, I’ve posted it in the A&W Forum also as it’s in Charcoal & Pastel Pencils.

I’ve drawn the New Zealand Tui – 12″ x 9″ – Vine Charcoal and Pastel Pencil on Mi-Teintes pastel paper

Tuis are a native bird of New Zealand and found nowhere else in the world.
    I am privileged to have a pair of Tuis, visit my garden every Spring. They nest and feast on the Spring blossom. They are easily identified by their distinctive call and the white tuft of feathers at their throats, which stands out against their black feathers.

The tui is gorgeous! Your depiction is perfect too, done in charcoal and pastels. What an unusual bird!

Kay

Thanks Kay! I love our native birds, a lot of our native birds are on the endangered list but not these Tuis. I get really excited when the Tuis appear every Spring. They aren’t a big bird, only a bit bigger than a Thrush or Blackbird, but they are very distinctive – you can’t miss them and their call is quite piercing – a series of clicks, then a long musical call.

Love your tui, Vivien!
    Here is my Lazuli bunting in wc and pen from a pmp reference.

Christel

Pencil and a little coloured pencil. A kestrel, I think

Penny

Johndk

Hi.

The national bird of South Africa is the blue crane (Anthropodes Paradisea). My source picture is by Steve Hammer, and shows the cranes in their interesting courtship show – they dance around, showing off (well the males do).

Watercolour 7,8 x 9,8 in
        DR The Langton rough 140 lb paper
        DR and WN pigments

As long as there is light, I will paint it.

[FONT=”Verdana]I have just finished painting these two cushions for my guest room. They were done in acrylics on cotton and then ironed with a cloth over the painting to ‘set’ them. They are my own design. I love birds and am always sketching them. The cushions are 50 cm x 50 cm. The one is of a blue tit and the other a robin.[/FONT]

Chammi
        My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

Very creative, Chammi. What a good idea.

I really like all the birds posted. Very interesting to see them.

Penny

CaliAnn

Beautiful birds – wish I had time to paint one :(

Chammi – love those cushions – thank you for explaining how you did it. I would love to try that technique

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.