WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors OX_b4666342a1.showAdUnit("469607");

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2003, 07:16 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States
After giving out so much advice, I've been a real slug at responding to your improvements. Forgive me.... it's the holidays!

You have made tremendous improvements. You made her larger, appearing to be closer to the window and also making her size and the window in better proportion to each other. I like the hint of what is inside the room (bed). Also that arm is finally believeable: in the first attempt there was no way that arm belonged to that body...... now it definitely does. Also there is a little more reflected color of the trees.

Good job.

There are a few things I would still like to see changed. The right side of the face is too blurry, not consistent with the detail of the left. Also I feel her chin line is lower than it should be. Clearing up detail on the right would remedy this. (Pretend there is no window when doing this.)

After that, I would heave a big sigh, sign it, and put it somewhere you can enjoy it.

And if it doesn't kill your enjoyment of painting, you might want to try another window reflection creation after a couple of months. You'd be surprised how much the lessons of this painting will transfer easily into the next. And next time put in hands... they really aren't that hard and give the body a more complete statement.

Diane
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2003, 01:42 PM
In My Art

Thanks, Diane! After looking at it for awhile, the right side of her face has the window piece interfering with her reflection thus I left it blurry. I did give it some detail but it didn't read as looking out the window so I blurred it up again. sigh. And actually, I'm looking forward to doing another window piece, believe it or not!

As for hands, I love doing hands! I thought that too much would have had to be repainted to put her hands in there (and got lazy). Here are some hands that I've painted. This is from my piece somewhere in this forum entitled "Irish Workmen".

Thanks again for your help!
Dana
Attached Images

FAQ Oil Painting
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2003, 02:52 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Wow...... You can do hands. I'm new enough to WC that I missed your 'farmers'. What a great piece.

Diane
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2003, 06:05 PM
A Local Legend
Portland OR

Hails from United States
Your persistence with this painting has paid off. The sky and window reflections look considerably better. The implied "story" has even improved because of the added detail in her face. She looks to be looking at the viewer now --- intriguing! why is she looking at me?? It is questions like these that will make a painting an "experience". Good move adding the interior suggestion of furniture. I am in favor of all of your improvements.

Last edited by Yokovich : 12-28-2003 at 06:08 PM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2003, 10:17 PM
In My Art

Thank you, Diane and celestia. I really think this is finished.

Why is it that I absolutely must somehow 'tell a story' when I do a painting? Or ask a question? I did my early macro florals but there wasn't any gut in it. They were pretty to me, that's all. But now it seems that everything I paint *must* tell a story and must make me think about the characters within the painting.

Perhaps this would be a question that would/could be asked in a chat thread. Does anyone else paint this way? And if it's a crutch, how do I throw away the crutch and just paint for the mere joy of putting paint on canvas?

Another problem is finding the perfect subject(s). I.e., if I don't find it/them, I wait to paint until I do. How I wish I could paint for commercial appeal.

Dana

FAQ Oil Painting
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2003, 10:55 PM
A Local Legend
Portland OR

Hails from United States
I don't think any of the things that concern you are drawbacks. ---You apparently painted this out of your imagination which is superior creatively speaking than painting from other people's original efforts (ie: photography). (Not that there is anything terribly WRONG with using photography) No need to try to fix what is not broken. I would just carry on as you are and ultimately you might consider testing the commercial waters by listing some things on eBay?

Last edited by Yokovich : 12-28-2003 at 10:58 PM.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2003, 05:01 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Celestia is right. Keep at what you like doing and the commercial will come (kind of paraphrasing that book title that went something like "do what you love and the money will follow")

In today's world even the most patient of us expect things to happen quickly. I chaffed when I was told early on that I needed to do at least 100 paintings before I would truly start on that path to artist. Having done that several years back, I still feel that I want to "be there", not "get there". But that is what drives us to get better.

Commercial appeal is so fickle. One year it's spotted cows, next it's seascapes, next who knows. If we try to find the perfect guimick that sells, will it have the soul needed to attrack a buyer? Maybe yes, but you can only paint what moves you and, if you strive for excellence in your work, it will find a place to reside.

Why don't you start that thread? Just let me know where to find it.

Diane
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2003, 05:31 PM
In My Art

Well, when I said I wished to paint for commercial appeal, I was, in a way, being sarcastic and I should know better. Sarcasm doesn't translate to the internet.

I have a psuedo artist friend who lives nearby and he paints strictly for commercial appeal. I.e., a decorator will give him colors and he'll paint some flowers in those colors with a short phrase in French across the bottom for that tiny bit of panache or sophistication that people like to hang in their homes. He paints the same thing over and over and over and the money just rolls in. Crikey! (He even dropped the 'pf' from the back of his last name so it would appear more appealing!)

I don't want to do that. I'd rather someone bought my work because it "said" something to them, had some meaning and not just because it was pretty and went with the proverbial sofa. I did stop painting in watercolor because 3 gallery owners told me that they just don't sell and when they do, they have to be cheap! The good old midwest.

Quote:
If we try to find the perfect guimick that sells, will it have the soul needed to attrack a buyer? Maybe yes, but you can only paint what moves you and, if you strive for excellence in your work, it will find a place to reside.

And there's the ticket! Soul. Thanks, Diane! And thank you, also, celestia!

This would have been a good topic for Henrik's new chat thread but I don't know if he's going to post a chat thread here.

Dana

FAQ Oil Painting